women who are bulking/ who have bulked

Options
2»

Replies

• adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    nellyett wrote: »
    I spent the better part of this past year bulking and then doing a bit of a recomp. Mostly because I couldn't stick to my cutting cals consistently. lol

My advice is to ramp up your calories to a slight surplus until you get the feel of that amount of food without getting stressed about it. Shouldn't take you long :)

Then, put all of your focus on the weight on the bar, not the scale. As you increase your lifts, you will probably care less about what the scale says. After a while, it really truly becomes more about how much your pushing, the shape of your muscles, and how dense/hard they feel.

I've just started a moderate cut (AGAIN!).... as I've been maintaining for a while I've learned that my maint. cals are around 2300 per day. My cut goal is just under 2000 cals per day while maintaining my strength gains. Now I want to finally reveal all of that muscle I've spent so much time building :)

Wow this is super advice. Yeah I got tired of being on a cut, not because of cals (though that wasn't going so well) more because my workout sucked and I just want more energy!

Yeap I am totally looking forward to really getting my lifts up and getting my triceps to grooooow!!

wow, cutting on 2000 cals? That sounds not so bad, using TDEE calculators that might end up being my bulking calories :(

• adorable_aly
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I learned a ton during my first one (mostly by doing things wrong)

Welcome to the club LOL
    I know, right? I even had people giving me really good advice and I found ways to do things wrong! That's just how I learn, apparently ;)

Ladies, I'm sure I will also make many mistakes, feel free to call me out on it! Sometimes I can be a little slow to catch on :p
  • adorable_aly
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    I started my first bulk on Nov. 1st. I'm still in the reverse dieting phase. I'm already not sure this will go well for me. I can already feel myself chickening out, lol.

You can do it! I'm doing the reverse dieting thing to, right now I am just focusing on how cool it is to have great workouts :) and eat all the foodz :D

I am seriously considering a bulk, but am teetering on the edge of whether or not I could handle the weight gain. I also feel nervous about getting too comfortable with eating more and having a harder time cutting back again. :|

Just a thought, you might find you can cut on more calories after your bulk :)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I spent the better part of this past year bulking and then doing a bit of a recomp. Mostly because I couldn't stick to my cutting cals consistently. lol

My advice is to ramp up your calories to a slight surplus until you get the feel of that amount of food without getting stressed about it. Shouldn't take you long :)

Then, put all of your focus on the weight on the bar, not the scale. As you increase your lifts, you will probably care less about what the scale says. After a while, it really truly becomes more about how much your pushing, the shape of your muscles, and how dense/hard they feel.

I've just started a moderate cut (AGAIN!).... as I've been maintaining for a while I've learned that my maint. cals are around 2300 per day. My cut goal is just under 2000 cals per day while maintaining my strength gains. Now I want to finally reveal all of that muscle I've spent so much time building :)

Wow this is super advice. Yeah I got tired of being on a cut, not because of cals (though that wasn't going so well) more because my workout sucked and I just want more energy!

Yeap I am totally looking forward to really getting my lifts up and getting my triceps to grooooow!!

wow, cutting on 2000 cals? That sounds not so bad, using TDEE calculators that might end up being my bulking calories :(

I think you'd be surprised by what your maintenance calories could really be. Not sure how long you've been in a deficit for, but there's a really great group on here called Eat More 2 Weigh Less (EM2WL), and it talks about metabolism repression due to long periods of low cal dieting, etc. It's really interesting. If you're starting a bulk, it could be a really good time to get your calories up to where they could be :)

I'm a foodie....I want to eat as much as possible and still lose. haha.

• linnber
    linnber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started this week too! It's hard to calculate how much I should eat, but I took a guess at 2200 for a 57kg/165 cm woman. Metabolism is a tricky thing. and I how much little exercise you get, like walking to the train/office, strolling downtown etc.

After being on 1500kcal for months I'm amazed at how warm I am, almost flushed so metabolism has definitively gone up.

Going to start measuring weight and widths so I see what's happening, hopefully I get to eat MORE :D
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    So I just started my first bulk! Looking for friends that have done it and can offer advice and support :)

hi, I will FR you.

last year I bulked from the end of Oct thru Feb. and gained 1" on my biceps/triceps, added 1" to lat.s and overall evened out the upper and lower body proportions. (mind you I do this for others as a living!)

It's so f'n hard to get up the nerve to do this yourself! And having to eat all the time...the protein. ugh.

So this year, 2014, I've been focusing on a bulk mode with specific lower body gains since June. I'm not growing. So, here I am focusing on bulk mode through dec 2014 and slowly increasing carbs with my protein... still slowly waiting on that magic to happen! I could use some motivating too. Some days I just want to give up on the heavy lifting and protein intake and give up. Help. I'm a hard gainer.

happy training you guyz!

• funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is my first bulk and I started this Aug, well more Sept cause I pretty much spent the first month figuring the right calories. So far I have gained about 4 lbs and I plan to cut or just recomp by next spring (Feb or so)

It was not easy for me to really adopt the idea of bulking since I have been trying to loss weight my whole life. The idea of putting weight on scared me more then I thought. Like neyllett said, focus on the weight on the bar, not the scale. I was lucky to be friends with a lot amazing women here who's also bulking and helped me a ton. I have seen some good muscle definitions on my triceps, quads and hamstring. That really helped me keep going or I would have give up on bulking already.

Good luck and happy bulking! ;)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm bulking now or at least slowly bumping calories til I am actually bulking. I'm on 2200 NET calories which is probably maintenance or just below. It's hard to tell. Last year I was on 2300 Net cals happily gaining a quarter pound a week like planned and then 2 months in, I lost the 2 pounds that I'd gained plus 2 more in a big woosh! I am doing stronglifts and Krav Maga (martial arts).
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering a bulk, but am teetering on the edge of whether or not I could handle the weight gain. I also feel nervous about getting too comfortable with eating more and having a harder time cutting back again. :|

Just a thought, you might find you can cut on more calories after your bulk :)
    [/quote]

Now THAT would be really awesome!

• adorable_aly
    Options

I think you'd be surprised by what your maintenance calories could really be. Not sure how long you've been in a deficit for, but there's a really great group on here called Eat More 2 Weigh Less (EM2WL), and it talks about metabolism repression due to long periods of low cal dieting, etc. It's really interesting. If you're starting a bulk, it could be a really good time to get your calories up to where they could be :)

I am really hoping for that! Yeap I'm actually a member of the group and have been doing some perusing to try and get an idea of how to do reverse dieting, but thats exactly what I figured do it as a boost metabolism/ build muscle thing and see where I am in a few months :)

LOL same, I love ice cream. A lot.

• jaimesparkman
    jaimesparkman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting 2500 calories per day starting tomorrow!
  • ShySweetiee
    ShySweetiee Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I am really hoping for that! Yeap I'm actually a member of the group and have been doing some perusing to try and get an idea of how to do reverse dieting, but thats exactly what I figured do it as a boost metabolism/ build muscle thing and see where I am in a few months :)

LOL same, I love ice cream. A lot.

I've been struggling to get in the calories as of late so I had ice cream for breakfast this morning! I think I'll be eating ice cream every single day of my bulk. I love this!! :) I started bulking in September and I'm up about 5 - 6 pounds since then. I initially went a little overboard in eating at first, but now I'm tracking my calories and aiming to eat around 2000 cals per day (I'm a shortie, 5'1).
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Second page and I can't believe no one has pointed you to this group yet:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/16930-women-who-bulk