Over 100 lbs to lose, could use a friend

Options
So my turning point was last night as I was scrolling through my instagram feed. I have a few WL inspiration accounts on there. My 2 year old daughter happened to notice someone's before and after picture, who was at least 300lb, and she pointed and said "Mommy!" I do not want my daughter to see me like that or to think that is a healthy ideal. I have a long road ahead of me but today I started logging my food again. It actually feels good. I could use someone to hold me accountable, a good support system to keep me going. Feel free to add me if you are in the same boat, or hey just a positive happy person! Good luck to all!

Replies

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Only you can inspire you and hold you accountable. You've already started by logging.

M 51 5'11" SW:298 CW:228 GW:208 Lost 70 lbs on MyFitnessPal + Walking ... in just 4 months

Log everything. Don't try to change anything else. Just log for now. Don't quit logging.
    Let the logging inspire you to make the changes... short term and long term.

It -is- all about the food.

MyFitnessPal lets you start right as you are -- not changing your diet all at once, but gradually improving your habits.

If someone tries to change everything, what happens is that nothing changes. You get frustrated over too much change and you quit. So just log for right now and start to change slowly.

Logging is not magic, but it's close. This is the most important skill.
    • When you log what you're eating before you eat it, you have a second chance to make a better decision.
    • When you see the log of what you're eating over time, you'll investigate alternatives and make changes
    • When you get into practice, logging takes less than 5 minutes per day
    • When you log through your crises -- when you feel or are out of control, you're back in control as soon as your next meal and you don't feel so bad because you know where you are (the biggest part of fear is not knowing)

Logging provides the info, the control, and the "didn't quit" that will make your effort successful. You'll even do it after you've lost the weight, to help train you to maintain. So get really good at it. It's worth it.

After a few days of logging, you'll start doing better because of all of the above. You'll start to hit the target once in a while -- then days in a row. That's all that is required -- you don't need to be perfect, you just need to be better.

Friends are cheerleaders, you are the one that makes this work.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    Hi! Firstly, you are gorgeous!

Secondly, I agree ^ that food is everything. Track your cals, remember why you're doing this, and you will be there before you know it! Just a personal suggestion, but I would eat real food. Not boxed stuff. You can do it!
  • carlylane04
    carlylane04 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What amazing advice. Thank you so much for your words of wisdom!
    funchords wrote: »
    Only you can inspire you and hold you accountable. You've already started by logging.

M 51 5'11" SW:298 CW:228 GW:208 Lost 70 lbs on MyFitnessPal + Walking ... in just 4 months

Log everything. Don't try to change anything else. Just log for now. Don't quit logging.

MyFitnessPal lets you start right as you are -- not changing your diet all at once, but gradually improving your habits.

If someone tries to change everything, what happens is that nothing changes. You get frustrated over too much change and you quit. So just log for right now and start to change slowly.

• When you log what you're eating before you eat it, you have a second chance to make a better decision.
    • When you see the log of what you're eating over time, you'll investigate alternatives and make changes
    • When you log through your crises -- when you feel or are out of control, you're back in control as soon as your next meal and you don't feel so bad because you know where you are (the biggest part of fear is not knowing)

Logging provides the info, the control, and the "didn't quit" that will make your effort successful. You'll even do it after you've lost the weight, to help train you to maintain. So get really good at it. It's worth it.

After a few days of logging, you'll start doing better because of all of the above. You'll start to hit the target once in a while -- then days in a row. That's all that is required -- you don't need to be perfect, you just need to be better.

• carlylane04
    carlylane04 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    YOU are gorgeous! Thank you! And thanks for your reply!
    Hi! Firstly, you are gorgeous!

Secondly, I agree ^ that food is everything. Track your cals, remember why you're doing this, and you will be there before you know it! Just a personal suggestion, but I would eat real food. Not boxed stuff. You can do it!

• t4temple
    t4temple Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you Carlylane. Come back here whenever you have a weak moment, it helps me out an awful lot. Managed to avoid a few potential slip ups reading the 'success stories.' Hope it works out for you.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    Hi Carlylane. I'm sending you a friend request. I too could use a few more friends on here. It's always good to have the support.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi Carly. A year ago, I was right were you are now. 14 month later, I was down 138# and met my goal. That was, as funchords said, following my food plan and walking. So it definitely is do-able. Just find whatever plan can work for you, and stick with it, one day at a time. That much weight to lose is formidable. So I instead set smaller goals. For myself, I set my sights on 10% each time. That was much easier to attain. And the 10% got smaller each time. I'll send you a friend request. I'll support you along your way as much as I can. Good luck and just think of where you will be a year from now. The year is going to go by anyway ... why not make the best of it you can?
  • Daninicole217
    Daninicole217 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with only you can inspire yourself. I requested you as a friend. Drink lots of water. Give up soda or any sugary beverages and caffeine if you can. I cant think of anything else right now. Im having a brain fart.
  • annehutson2
    Options
    I to have over 100 lbs. to lose...I have lost 45 lbs. So far since June and have maintained that for a bit. I am trying to throw more exercise into my routine to get the next 45 off. I mostly eat whole foods but processed foods make it into my diary once in a while. Log everything and it will help you to see where to make changes. I could use more friends too. Add me. :)
  • Till__I__Collapse
    Options
    I will cheer for you the whole way.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It probably seems impossible now, but you can do it! A friend of mine from high school who I had lost touch with recently posted pics of herself on Facebook down 140lbs!! It is attainable. I love this site because as long as you utilize it probably IT holds you accountable-log everything-no lying/cheating-after all you'd only be lying to yourself. I've added you, I'm always looking for a wider support system and I'd be happy to be a cheer leader for you ;)
  • Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Adding you!
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    I am adding you, too!
    I am 24 y/o F, 5'1", SW: 200, CW: 182, 18 lbs of weight loss only 24 days in! I have not changed my activity level (sedentary office job, lightly active a few evenings a week), I have completely eliminated sweets, cut down carbs, drink nothing but water, and I can tell you that it is only traumatic for the first few days! I was just telling my husband tonight when we went out to dinner that some things just don't appeal to me anymore. It is amazing how fast it can become a new way of life for you when you are really dedicated to making a change. I plan to increase my activity level with some cardio in the coming weeks to ramp up my loss, now that I have adjusted to the dietary changes I made.

I was a competitive weight lifter in high school and gained a lot of weight in muscle, and got used to the extra calories for my intense workouts. Well, the weightlifting has stopped (or at least slowed down drastically) and I was still eating enough to be lifting daily. I weighed 154 when I was lifting (and I was a teeny tiny size 2), and over the course of 5 years got up to 200 and a size 10. My goal is to get to 115 (85 lbs total loss) and I would LOVE to get in some of my old jeans again... which means I still have a ways to go! My goal is to get there by the time I graduate college in May 2015! Seven months to go!

We can do this! :)
  • Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have just about 100 lbs to lose. I've been back on here for 1 month now. We can help inspire one another.
  • pakis1026
    Options
    I also have been struggling with weight loss. I am currently at 199lbs and I am only 5ft1. This is the biggest I have ever been. I recently turned 32 and I have promised myself that this will be the year that I lose all the weight. I have absolutely zero willpower. I can write down a plan, but as soon as my day is rough (I have a pretty stressful job, and am a single mom), I lean on food to help me through my day. I don't eat a lot, just a lot of the wrong stuff. I don't know how to stick to a plan.
  • KPeriandri
    KPeriandri Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What amazing advice. Thank you so much for your words of wisdom!

I don't think anyone could have said it better. Wise words and completely accurate! Love the positive feedback and support. Makes me smile! Good luck! I wish I could add to this but it is 100% flawless!
  • KPeriandri
    KPeriandri Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone could have said it better. Wise words and completely accurate! Love the positive feedback and support. Makes me smile! Good luck! I wish I could add to this but it is 100% flawless!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this. I'll add you as a friend. I'm all about accountability. Now that you're here, I'll remind you to keep coming back if you stop logging in. It's a mixed blessing :)
  • winnyfreebryd
    winnyfreebryd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm adding you. I am in the 100lb to loose group as well. I am currently down 4 and still have along way to go. I agree with everything funchords wrote. It was information I needed for myself as well.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this! Just take it one day at a time. People tend to have the most problems when they expect changes too quickly. We have a tendency to get discouraged and give up. Think of it as a lifestyle change and don't try to change everything in one day. You're going to kick *kitten*!