Increasing Squat Lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options

How do you know if you are leaning forward too much? After a wonky unbalanced squat, someone at the gym told me that I needed to lean forward more bc I had the bar low on my back. I did and it helped. Now afterm reading this, I'm afraid I'm leaning too much...
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »

How do you know if you are leaning forward too much? After a wonky unbalanced squat, someone at the gym told me that I needed to lean forward more bc I had the bar low on my back. I did and it helped. Now afterm reading this, I'm afraid I'm leaning too much...

If you are low bar squatting, you will naturally lean forward more than high bar squatting. The lean that is detrimental is when the hips are rising early rather than coming up in sync with the chest.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Buy the book starting strength, get volume 3. Google starting strength, go to the website and watch videos and learn proper technique. Video yourself doing squats, watch yourself and try to correct your form from there. Good luck.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    What type of shoes are you wearing? If they are a soft "running"? shoe I would recommend trying squats in your stocking feet. If that seems to help (soft shoes =horrible stability) you could get converse chucks or keep Squating without shoes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it's not letting me quote you.

OP, you say your knees buckle OUT when you come up...do you mean in? When you come up you should be thinking about trying to push them out so they don't buckle in.

I'm not professional though. So there's that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    dinosnopro wrote: »
    What type of shoes are you wearing? If they are a soft "running"? shoe I would recommend trying squats in your stocking feet. If that seems to help (soft shoes =horrible stability) you could get converse chucks or keep Squating without shoes.

and this
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yeah, tennis shoes + squatting heavy = gambling.

I use vibram five fingers, because I'm special.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Are you following a program that moves you forward in your weight progress?