How many calories do you burn at the gym?

Options

Replies

• rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Personally I go 5 days per week, two cardio and three dedicated weights sessions with light cardio warmup (100-200 cals). On my cardio days I extimate 700-800 cals in an hour.
    Also I always do my workouts in terms of calories- I do 150 on the stepper, 80 on the rowing machine and 110 on the treadmill. I was just wondering, does anyone do it differently and work out for specific periods of time or go specific distances on the machines before changing instead of burning a certain amount of calories?

If you are open to any advice though, it would be to mix things up. You look like you have a pretty rigid program there, it would be really beneficial to change up your exercises and spice things up a little... your body will get used to your routines and they will become less effective over time. :)

For a start, try some different machines and combine some long endurance sessions with some interval sprints. I have seen some people that thought they were really fit and could last forever in a treadmil, but put them on the grinder orgive them some boxing drills and they are in a heap after 5 minutes :P

Thanks for the advice. (: I tend to do this routine just because the only other machines are the bike and cross trainers, and my legs just ache so bad after about 2 pedals on the bike so I tend to avoid it. Also I never sprint on the treadmill because I'm terrified of just flying off the end, I can't even walk on it without letting go because I feel like I'm going to fall off lmao. But yeah I might try changing it around sometimes. (:

Also I can't believe how many calories everyone here burns in a work out! I'm seriously tired and drained of energy after a 350 calorie work out let alone 800 like some people. :0 Anyone who works out that much - Is that a number that you've had to work up to over time, or did you just start doing work outs for that long right away?
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i go to the gym at least 4 days a week for anywhere between 40 and 60 mins a session. i usually aim for at least 400 calories per day. on saturdays when i do zumba i always reach at least 800.
  • KalebMalanin
    Options
    I burn 300 for every 45 minute session, i usually burn about 200 on the bikes 30 rowing and 70 stepping but i am planning to up it to a total of 400 per session 250 on bike, 50 on rowing and a 100 on the stepper. I go four times a week cos' i go for free. so a weekly total, 1200 --> 1600 calories burnt.
  • gorda_20
    gorda_20 Posts: 1
    Options
    Okay so im 225 5'9 i go to the gym everyday for two hours n one rest day i burn 1000 cals n on one day prolly 2000 my thing is no less then 1000 i got off track for a couple of days but im right bak on.track
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    After stretching, usually I start on the treadmill for 20 minutes. I do it by time because I used to walk for 20, but I am slowly replacing each minute of walking with running so I can build myself up to running for 20 mins. That burns 200-250 calories. Then I lift weights using the machines (my gym doesn't have freeweights), and depending on the muscles I work out, I can spend 10-20 minutes doing that, and it burns maybe 100 calories, usually less. So I burn less than 350 calories usually.

I also feel kind of jealous about these 800-1000 calorie burns that people do - I am exhausted, red-faced & disgustingly sweaty after a workout! But then again, I have only just started - maybe one day my endurance will be better.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    1500-2000 a day

(1) about 900 in the AM rowing on the water (not technically the gym I suppose)

(2) 500-1000 running or biking or erging (rowing machine) in the afternoon

(3) 100-200 lifting weights or doing core circuits (I alternate)

ps. I am in heavy training right now... not just some crazy person with an exercise addiction.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm usually about 1000 calories. My usual workout is 15 minutes on the elliptical to warm up, then I lift for 45 minutes and I finish up with 30 minutes on the treadmill doing intervals. I started this routine a couple of weeks ago because it was taking longer and longer to burn calories and I don't want to spend an entire morning at the gym. I'm really liking this switch and it seems to have kicked me out of a weight-loss plateau.

Oh, and I use a Polar FT7 HRM.
  • jabrat
    jabrat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I burn 2,500 calories a day - have lost approximately 50 pounds with my Fitbit.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Average 550 calories for weightlifting 45-60 mins, 3 days on, 1 day off, done in the mornings
    Average 660 calories for cardio, 50-60 mins, 4 times a week, done in late afternoon or evenings

So I average anywhere from 550 to 1210 calories a day, depending how the stars align between my cardio and weight time.
  • laine500
    Options
    wow I don't eat as many calories as some of you burn :) I just do cardio 30 -45 mins 5 days aweek burn 200 - 350 calories I was very unfit but gaining fitness fast so might up to 45 - 60 mins 5 days a week not been going the gym long coz I suffer from weak bones and bad joints I mainly do treadmill but hopefully as I get fitter can start doing other things
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    My cardio workout is 65 minutes on the elliptical targeting a heart rate of 140, which typically burns 450-550 according to the HRM. The HRM gives zombie readings (heart rate=0) when the strap is not freshly laundered. In that case I use 65% of the machine reading which is typically 400-450. If I am injured I use the stationary bike which burns 350-400 in 65 minutes.

For weight training I log 1 minute of strength training from the MFP database for every set of 8-12 for larger muscle groups. I don't log calories for isolation exercises for arms, for example. I log half a minute for a set of shoulder press.
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Depends what I am doing. I burn up to 800 at kickboxing classes, 4-500 at Zumba. Typically at the gym I do free weight/strength training so I don't count those calories because its probably about 75-100 but then I do 30 mins of interval training(3.5/7 at 3 incline) and burn about 250.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I just aim to burn 1000 calories most days I exercise. I may go for 90 minutes, take a break, lift some weights, then do more cardio.

Besides work, I have nothing else to do.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I mostly lift weights...So I assume not much there. I get proud of myself if I do 30 minutes of cardio. Sometimes I'm proud if I do 10. So, in general I don't really burn much. A few hundred.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    250 25 minutes of step aerobics
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I log 165 calories burned for an hour of lifting 4 days a week.
  • GreatGreenSea
    GreatGreenSea Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tend to burn right around 500, mostly on the treadmill and elliptical. I really need to mix it up.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    I burn around 370 to 400 running and then I do weights but don't count that :-)
  • ceruleanmuse
    ceruleanmuse Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Usually none, I just lift weights 4x a week for ~90 minutes.
  • Till__I__Collapse
    Till__I__Collapse Posts: 20
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I lift a lot of weights (6 days a week - 3 legs and 3 upper body days/ one rest day), and I am exhausted when I am done. I don't know how many it burns, but on non-leg days, when I am doing the stair mill, I will burn 600 in about 50 minutes. I barely touch the rails to ensure I am maxing my calories expenditure. I would say 800 to 1000 for me per day.