Distance Runners: energy gel/food

Options
I am training for my first marathon. In the past, when running half-marathons, I have not used any type of energy gel/food. After my 16 mile run yesterday, it's clear that's not going to work for the marathon! I'm curious what, if any, products you use, and at what point(s) during your run do you take them. Thanks!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    An alternative to gels is hard candy, like Jolly Ranchers.

The last time I trained for a marathon I didn't use anything except for water in training. During the race I used gels and I'm not really sure they helped. By 20 miles the taste became nauseating and I bonked anyway.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I used GU and PowerAide Gels for my training and durning the day of my marathon.(make sure you have water to take it with though) Also had banana available to eat and sometimes I needed it. Also had both water and Gatoraide on hand. Good Luck on your marathon!!
  • shortcake05
    Options
    I've experimented with shot bloks, carb boom, gu, and powerbar gel. Everyone has their favorite. I personally like powerbar gel the most. Some people don't like how sweet some gels are. Some don't like to chew on the run (i.e. shot bloks). There are also gels and chewables with caffeine. I don't like those, but some do. I think it's about experimenting and seeing what works best for you. Definitely try out some of this stuff on some of your long training runs before you think about racing with it. And like I said - personally, I really liked the powerbar gels. I also liked shot bloks until I kept nearly choking on them because they were rock solid during one of my winter races.

Last summer I had a big problem with dehydration and I was trying to wean myself off sugary gels. I started loading some of the bottles in my fuel belt with nuun tablets. I don't know if you've heard of those. But they pretty much dissolve in water and make it flavored. It's an electrolyte drink, but it's not as sweet as gatorade. It's really important to drink regular water alongside of these though. I've had nothing but good experiences with the nuun tablets.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Every 45 mins I take a salt tablet (ie: SCaps) and every hour I eat a serving of shot blocks or sport beans. Around miles 15-18 I'll actually eat something like a Cliff Z-bar or Lara bar. I can't handle gu's or gels and water is the only thing I want to drink, so sugary gatorades are out of the question. Works like a charm!!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Im a slow runner, so my half marathon times are probably your marathon times. But I had alot of trouble figuring out what I could and could not eat due to sensitive stomach.

I do 1/2 strength gatorade with water in 3 bottles, 1 bottle of water.
    I start Chomps - 2 chomps at mile 3.5 and every 2 mile thereafter.

My first half I felt rough towards the end, pretty depleted on sodium.
    This last half 2 weeks ago ... I felt amazing! I drank 30oz of gatorade and water - and the Chomps plus 1 1/2 cup of water! :)

Experiment on your long runs to figure out what will work for you!
  • saturnine0
    Options
    If you're bonking during your long slow runs there's a good chance that you're going too fast. The faster you run the more likely your body is to burn stored energy.... Of which you only have about 2000 calories, so your average runner burns about 75-150 calories per mile, you get low on stored energy and your brain decides it's time to stop(bonk). Because a marathon is as long as it is most runners will need more than 2000 calories and will be forced to burn fat which is why you do the long SLOW runs, it trains your body to burn fat and hold your stored energy in reserve.
    Alternately start eating early and often, variety is your friend.... What was good at mile 10 might be terrible at mile 20. You can only really absorb about 300 calories per hour while running so make it sugar and carbs. Raisins, oranges and clif bars are my favorites.
    Or just run slower while training!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I use energy beans by Jelly Belly. Mostly because my husband sells them so I get them free. They are tiny so easy to eat on the run. I also find sugar free electrolytes in my water (I always run with water) give me a big boost, and bounce balls.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options

I disagree! You have about 90 mins of stores no matter how slow or fast you run.
  • saturnine0
    Options

I disagree! You have about 90 mins of stores no matter how slow or fast you run.

Maybe I'm just better at running slow than you:wink: !!

But seriously, you can do it however you want, just make sure you practice pre-marathon and once you've trained for it don't
    change mid marathon. With preparation you can run a marathon with a smile on your face the whole way.

Edit: which marathon are you running?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Energy beans or Gu Chomps are both excellent.

I prefer the beans myself.

1 package of Chomps advertises enough energy for 1.5 - 2 hours of activity (have a package in front of me)

Also contains Amino Acids, Vitamins C + E and Electrolytes.

I've used both in Race scenarios and won't do anything longer than 90 minutes without them.
  • rungirl27
    rungirl27 Posts: 32
    Options
    Honey stinger Energy Chews are AMAZING!!!! I get the fruit smoothie flavor. Definitely my favorite and I have tried everything! I also have GU on me when i run to mix it up and alternate but I prefer honey stingers. Taste great and lots of energy..My running friends call it runner's crack it is so good!(the honey stingers)
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options

^ truth. Although running long activates additional glycogen stores in your fast twitch muscles, which is one of the main reasons for the long run.

Personally, I just eat Gu. However, after a couple months of training, I'm sooo sick of them. The other day I tried a lara bar, and found it to be quite delicious, and I may have to start taking those with me on long runs.
  • 50x30
    50x30 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll stock up and try to figure it out with my next few long runs.

I'm running the Carmel Marathon (inaugural year) in IN--June 11th!
  • NitaCB
    NitaCB Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm keen to see the advice on this too. I'm training for my first full at the moment too. I've used Gu's before, usually just in my half races, and sometimes if I'm doing a run over 1 hr 45 or so. We don't have as big a range of gels etc here in NZ, so the choice is more limited. Hope you're training's going well! I've just done 24km. Tired!
  • Ruth1212
    Ruth1212 Posts: 6,326 Member
    Options
    I have run 4 marathons and 5 half marathons and a lot of races of shorter distances. In the full marathon (I just ran one in April) I took Gels at miles 5, 10, 15 and 20. Every 40-50 mins. you have to keep refueling on these longer distances. When I train I usually take one Gel per hour of running, if i'm running over 90 mins. You should experiment on your longer training runs of course to see what suits your stomach.

also beware of serving sizes. The Chomps are good for 90 mins of activity however that is because there are 2 servings in each packet so each serving is supposed to fuel you for 45 mins (8 chomps per packet but 4 chomps is a serving size). The chomps are yummy. :-) but take too long to chew in a race situation so I use Gels for races.

you will notice a huge difference if you are consistent about your nutrition while training and racing!
    Good luck!
  • jennajoehro
    jennajoehro Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Honey stinger Energy Chews are AMAZING!!!! I get the fruit smoothie flavor. Definitely my favorite and I have tried everything! I also have GU on me when i run to mix it up and alternate but I prefer honey stingers. Taste great and lots of energy..My running friends call it runner's crack it is so good!(the honey stingers)

Ooh, yum. My 4 year olds think that the energy chews are their "fruit snacks." I'm like, no boys, these are a LOT more expensive than your fruit snacks!

I just did a 1/2 this morning and used Honey Stinger gels. I find them so much more easily digestible than GU gels, for some reason.