Peanut Butter Question

Options
bokaba
bokaba Posts: 171 Member
I usually stay away from conventional peanut butter that contain trans fatty acids in favor of natural stir peanut butters that contain only peanuts. I do get annoyed by how quickly they become hard and dry. I've noticed some newer "natural" peanut butters that contain only peanuts and palm oil, which is semi-solid at room temperature. Does anyone like these? Are there any negative health impacts from palm oil?

Here are some examples of what I mean:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/JIF-Natural-Creamy-Peanut-Butter-28-oz/15556220

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Planters-Natural-Creamy-Peanut-Butter-15-oz/20711751

I guess they also contain a little salt, sugar, and molasses, too.

Replies

• morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the skippy or Jif natural because I don't have time to stir my peanut butter. Anything in moderation is fine in my opinion and they are definitely healthier than regular PB.
  • bokaba
    Options
    Palm oil tends to get a bad rap in the media from the environmental lobbies because farmers burn down rainforest to grow it.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Get the Adams peanut butter....it is the kind that comes in the jar and you will have to stir it. But here is a list of its ingredients:
    Peanuts
    I will never go back to store brand again.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the skippy or Jif natural because I don't have time to stir my peanut butter. Anything in moderation is fine in my opinion and they are definitely healthier than regular PB.

Yep, I stick to the Skippy Natural peanut butter, basically to avoid the hydrogenated oil in the regular peanut butter. I'm not gonna buy any of the ultra natural peanut butters that just have peanuts, or just have peanuts and salt or whatever. They taste worse, and they're honestly not any better for you if you know anything about nutrition. I'm not gonna eat things that I don't enjoy because ignorant people say they're healthier lol.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I eat Smucker's Natural (just peanuts and salt), and I have never had it get hard and dry. I don't always finish a jar that fast -- sometimes I even have to stir it up again because it starts to separate. Have you tried keeping your peanut butter in the refrigerator after you stir it? I don't do this, but it's supposed to keep it from separating again.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Yep, I stick to the Skippy Natural peanut butter, basically to avoid the hydrogenated oil in the regular peanut butter. I'm not gonna buy any of the ultra natural peanut butters that just have peanuts, or just have peanuts and salt or whatever. They taste worse, and they're honestly not any better for you if you know anything about nutrition. I'm not gonna eat things that I don't enjoy because ignorant people say they're healthier lol.

You contradicted yourself. You buy Skippy to avoid the hydrogenated oils, yet you don't listen to people that say "this is healthier"? :-)

When it comes to food, I am starting to go with Occam's Razor. The shortest ingredients list is probably closer to the actual product than the alternative. Adams has only peanuts and salt, and is not made from hydrogenated oils. I get the crunch kind. it is delicious, and still oh so creamy!

• bokaba
    Options
    Unless they have been discontinued, Adams also sells conventional peanut butters containing hydrogenated oils in addition to natural peanut butters. I don't think a peanut butter containing palm oil is any less healthy than pure peanuts with the exception that palm oil contains some saturated fat.