Is it safe to practically starve myself if that's my only option?

Options
Cookieman123
Cookieman123 Posts: 26 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
My weight loss was going great until the realization came to my head that not only am I weak mentally but I was also going to be an ugly blob of loose skin at the end of the day so I lost the motivation to keep going on with it. It's been an uphill struggle every since. I still walk about 5 miles a day but I'm eating more than 3 thousand plus calories a day. Thankfully I've only gained like 6 to 9 pounds in the last few weeks but I'm going back to my old habits very quickly.

I feel like my only option is to eat 500-1000 calories a day, and cut my walk to about a mile a day and have one binge day once a week. The weird thing is, I know I can do this. I did it when I first started and lost a ton. I know I can quit cold turkey and go weeks and maybe months with this plan. My thing is I keep being told it's not safe that I can potentially damage my body and I'm still in my early 20s.

Would you recommend it for a nearly 400 pound guy?

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I recommend you see a health professional.
  • kuriheartsyou
    kuriheartsyou Posts: 5
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Of course it's not safe. You'll become deficient in nutrients and over time your body will show signs of malnutrition - hair falling out, lethargy, cracked and dry skin, eventual organ failure, etc.

I mean, I'm not going to say eating 500 - 1,000 calories doesn't work. Of course it does, that's why gastric surgeries work so well. But the end result will suck and you could seriously hurt your body longterm.

And whether or not you decide to go that route, I highly suggest not having a "Cheat" day. Treating yourself is one thing, but outright binging can very easily send you back into your old habits.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OK hard love comin' up

*slap* - don't be a frickin' eejit! That's the most stupid plan ever - you will not get adequate nutrients, you will feel like hell and you will crash & burn

See a health professional

Start focusing on your food - weigh everything, make good choices, log it, eat treats - eat at a 1000 calorie defecit a day

you can do this

but stop trying to reinvent the wheel - it works with eating less than you burn but as much as you can - not as little as you can

• Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    I would not recommend that course of action. What is wrong with steady moderate exercise and figuring out what your numbers are for a slight calorie reduction?
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My weight loss was going great until the realization came to my head that not only am I weak mentally but I was also going to be an ugly blob of loose skin at the end of the day so I lost the motivation to keep going on with it. It's been an uphill struggle every since. I still walk about 5 miles a day but I'm eating more than 3 thousand plus calories a day. Thankfully I've only gained like 6 to 9 pounds in the last few weeks but I'm going back to my old habits very quickly.

I feel like my only option is to eat 500-1000 calories a day, and cut my walk to about a mile a day and have one binge day once a week. The weird thing is, I know I can do this. I did it when I first started and lost a ton. I know I can quit cold turkey and go weeks and maybe months with this plan. My thing is I keep being told it's not safe that I can potentially damage my body and I'm still in my early 20s.

Would you recommend it for a nearly 400 pound guy?

Well, I am not a medical professional of any type... By the way have you spoken with your doc? What does she have to say about your weight loss?

I have to say that eating 500-1000 calories for an adult is not healthy. You do know that success is possible by eating a subtle calorie deficit, right?

How many calories does MFP recommend you eat?

You can still eat the foods you love and lose weight.

• Cookieman123
    Options
    Doctor is going to tell me what I already know. I know it's a bad idea. I feel like it's my only option however. The problem isn't what foods I'm eating. The problem is I can't control myself when I'm around food. Any kind of food. I overeat on fruits for god sakes. One cup of grapes turn into a bag. A watermelon wedge turns into half the melon.

The only times I didn't overeat is when I barely had food in my fridge and quite honestly during those times it wasn't like I starving to the point where I had to go binge on fast food either. I got over it fairly quickly.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So you think because you are 400 lbs that you should:
    1 - REDUCE the amount of exercise to 20% of what you are currently doing
    2 - Eat fewer calories than would sustain someone who is 100 lbs
    3 - Continue to have a binge day each week??

I hope you realize how silly all of this sounds.

If you're serious about losing weight, you need to:
    1 - INCREASE your activity level
    2 - Fasting for a day or so is fine, but not so you can binge later. I'll even say that for someone your size, cutting calories significantly when you are starting isn't necessarily a bad thing. But 500-1000 calories per day is not a long term diet strategy.
    3 - Binging is probably one of the worst things you can do ... stretching out your stomach so the next day when your stomach contracts because you are eating a more normal amount, you feel extremely hungry and overeat some more...

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    I recommend you see a health professional.

this
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Doctor is going to tell me what I already know. I know it's a bad idea. I feel like it's my only option however. The problem isn't what foods I'm eating. The problem is I can't control myself when I'm around food. Any kind of food. I overeat on fruits for god sakes. One cup of grapes turn into a bag. A watermelon wedge turns into half the melon.

The only times I didn't overeat is when I barely had food in my fridge and quite honestly during those times it wasn't like I starving to the point where I had to go binge on fast food either. I got over it fairly quickly.

I didn't mean go see a doctor for your weight, I meant go see someone who is qualified to help you with your horrible relationship with food and your body. Not being able to lose weight sound like the least of your issues.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I fast all the time and burn over 1000 calories a day, it works for me.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    As a former nearly 500 lb guy, no. This is the wrong approach.
  • Cookieman123
    Options
    I didn't mean go see a doctor for your weight, I meant go see someone who is qualified to help you with your horrible relationship with food and your body. Not being able to lose weight sound like the least of your issues.

I would rather starve myself than go talk to a health therapist about problems that I don't have. I know what my issues are. I'm very lazy so when I'm not walking I sit on my *kitten* all day, get bored, and I eat. I lose track of what I eat. It's a bad habit I've had since I was a kid since I was very sheltered and never enrolled in sports and what not.

My issues aren't mental. I recognize my problems mentally. I also know what I am and not capable of. The mental side effects of starving myself isn't what I'm worried about because well, I've done it. It's the physical side effects, the losing the hair, the failure of organs etc. It gives me alot of unnecessary stress. Stress I didn't have while I was starving myself and had no idea anything about it until I talked to one of my doctors.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    how many more than 3k exactly? you should still be losing even at 3k/day walking 5 miles each day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I would rather starve myself than go talk to a health therapist about problems that I don't have. I know what my issues are. I'm very lazy so when I'm not walking I sit on my *kitten* all day, get bored, and I eat. I lose track of what I eat. It's a bad habit I've had since I was a kid since I was very sheltered and never enrolled in sports and what not.

My issues aren't mental. I recognize my problems mentally. I also know what I am and not capable of. The mental side effects of starving myself isn't what I'm worried about because well, I've done it. It's the physical side effects, the losing the hair, the failure of organs etc. It gives me alot of unnecessary stress. Stress I didn't have while I was starving myself and had no idea anything about it until I talked to one of my doctors.

i think the thing you're not understanding is that what you're describing is not a normal or healthy relationship with food or way to live... thats why seeing a doctor is a good idea... unless you want to spend your whole life overweight, bingeing and starving??
  • Cookieman123
    Options
    how many more than 3k exactly? you should still be losing even at 3k/day walking 5 miles each day.

It varies. So far the average day seems like it's around 3.3-3.8. With a few 4k+ days aswell if I feel like having a few beverages besides water and diet soda.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Is this looking for attention? You know that starving is not your only option.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Anyone else thinking troll?
  • Cookieman123
    edited November 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Is this looking for attention? You know that starving is not your only option.

It is. I like to overreact to add a bit of shock factor because I know it'll get more responses. More responses equal more insight. I know starving isn't my only option. It is however the only "diet" I've felt content with so far.

I made this thread to get more insight and real responses on fasting. Unfortunately I did a terrible job and everything thinks I'm a nutcase.
  • Ingland1
    Ingland1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's say you'll carry out your plan (obviously not recommended) and get to the weight you want. Then what? Firstly, you'll still be "an ugly blob of loose skin" (your words, not mine), this fact is not going to change no matter what strategy you'll use to lose weight. In fact, you'll probably be an even "uglier blob" than someone else, because your skin will look that much worse due to malnutrition. Secondly, your mindset and lifestyle will still be the same. You won't have learned to control yourself around food, so once you are done with that crash diet and are around normal amounts of food again you'll binge once again, just like you did before and are doing now. Nothing will be different and you'll gain the weight right back. Losing weight FOR GOOD isn't about a quick fix, it's a lifestyle change and until you make that change, firstly and foremostly in your head, nothing will really change.
  • Cookieman123
    Options
    Ingland1 wrote: »
    Okay, let's say you'll carry out your plan (obviously not recommended) and get to the weight you want. Then what? Firstly, you'll still be "an ugly blob of loose skin" (your words, not mine), this fact is not going to change no matter what strategy you'll use to lose weight. In fact, you'll probably be an even "uglier blob" than someone else, because your skin will look that much worse due to malnutrition. Secondly, your mindset and lifestyle will still be the same. You won't have learned to control yourself around food, so once you are done with that crash diet and are around normal amounts of food again you'll binge once again, just like you did before and are doing now. Nothing will be different and you'll gain the weight right back. Losing weight FOR GOOD isn't about a quick fix, it's a lifestyle change and until you make that change, firstly and foremostly in your head, nothing will really change.

Bravo. Very intelligent and well thought out post. Right now I feel guilty about eating an extra bowl of cereal so clearly I'm not in the right state of mind, but I'll be bookmarking this for future reference for sure. Your post definitely made an impact that's for sure.

Goodnight yall.