I don't want to keep track of everything!

Options
booty4days365
booty4days365 Posts: 8
edited November 2014 in Introduce Yourself
The idea of written down everything I eat and counting calories, carbs and all that seems confusing to me. Having to add everything up is taking away time to eat more. I always think one more bite won't hurt and here I am now 225. Has anyone tried weight loss surgery? Why can't I stop eating????

Replies

• BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    nobody's going to approve you for weight loss surgery at 225. do you think we count calories and keep track just for the hell of it? there're plenty of other things I'd rather spend my time doing than counting and planning ahead everything I'm going to eat, but I want to lose weight, and I know it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. there is no easy way out. if you want to change your body you're going to have to put in some work.
  • amzly1993
    Options
    Adding it up is laborious but it does help. If you have to add everything in then it makes to accountable for what you it and it really helpes you to get out of that 'one more bite can't be that bad' attitude! Did you know that eating a cube of cheese while cooking dinner is 50 calories?! One square of chocolate is 30 calories! MFP makes it so easy to scan too! Good luck!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to count calories, don't do it. no one's holding a gun to your head. it's definitely not confusing. it's actually about as simple as it gets. it is also a very affective way to control intake and aids in weight loss for many people.
  • rererangi03
    rererangi03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i think the only way to determine what i should eat and how much of it i should have is for me to track it
    im trying a new thing for me - lowering my carb intake even if my fat intake is higher, and for the first time dieting im not starving - the amount of carbs i used to eat was abominable
    - i just cant starve lol im too hungry for that
    - im loosing just doing that- im in the learning faze so i track to know what the carbs are - somedays i have trouble reaching my targeted calories - you have to find something that works for you i believe we are not all cut out the same - just dont quit - youre worth it
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ....So don't track everything, nobody is forcing you.

Editing to add... Weight loss surgery isn't going to stop you from eating at all. If you can't stop eating, WLS is a very bad decision to make. You can easily force food into your stomach (potentially life-threatening if you have a stapled stomach) and cause lots of new issues down the road.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Choose your hard.
  • booty4days365
    Options
    if you don't want to count calories, don't do it. no one's holding a gun to your head. it's definitely not confusing. it's actually about as simple as it gets. it is also a very affective way to control intake and aids in weight loss for many people.

I don't want to count BECAUSE I would be writing all day long since I eat all day. I need to come face to.face with how much I'm actually eating. A little here and a little there adds up. I'm in denial. I never thought I would be addicted to food! I'm 225 now and I'm scared. I need to try harder. Thank you
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I guess if no effort was required then everyone would be thin and fit. After you have started logging all your food you may be very surprised at how much you are eating. I know I was. Also, after awhile and you see some progress, you may actually start to enjoy the process of learning about nutrition and seeing the benefits. Eventually, logging your nutrition (food, snacks, etc) it isn't a burden at all. Give it a try for 30 straight days and then decide if you want to continue.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    looking at it logically you have a few options
    option 1 - count calories, and lose weight
    option 2 - lose weight some other way (I don't think weight loss surgery would be an option for you...yet)
    option 3 - continue going as you are. stay at 225, and possibly gain more weight.

none of those options are particularly easy. (If you're trying to lose weight then you are not finding option 3 easy.)

personally I think option 1 is the least hard :-)
  • gem_192
    gem_192 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I call troll.
    A normal person wouldn't come on to a forum on a calorie counting website and say they can't be bothered to write everything down because that would take all day. Obviously the tracking (not tracting) will give you a wakeup call to how much you're actually eating.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    gem_192 wrote: »
    I call troll.
    A normal person wouldn't come on to a forum on a calorie counting website and say they can't be bothered to write everything down because that would take all day. Obviously the tracking (not tracting) will give you a wakeup call to how much you're actually eating.
    I agree.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm suspicious of this thread but I'll go with you for now.

No one is making you do anything, to be quite honest you don't sound as if you are ready to start taking control of your life all i'm hearing are excuses and searching for quick fixes.

If you are serious then try it for a few days so you can actually see how much you are consuming, it definitely helped me to think about what I was eating.
  • booty4days365
    Options
    amzly1993 wrote: »
    Adding it up is laborious but it does help. If you have to add everything in then it makes to accountable for what you it and it really helpes you to get out of that 'one more bite can't be that bad' attitude! Did you know that eating a cube of cheese while cooking dinner is 50 calories?! One square of chocolate is 30 calories! MFP makes it so easy to scan too! Good luck!

How many calories should we eat in one day to lose weight? I guess I wouldn't have to count a lot I if I don't eat a lot. I need
    looking at it logically you have a few options
    option 1 - count calories, and lose weight
    option 2 - lose weight some other way (I don't think weight loss surgery would be an option for you...yet)
    option 3 - continue going as you are. stay at 225, and possibly gain more weight.

none of those options are particularly easy. (If you're trying to lose weight then you are not finding option 3 easy.)

personally I think option 1 is the least hard :-)

After reviewing what a headache the insurance will be to get approved for lap band... counting calories and working out seems easier. I mean it's not that hard... I need self control. I have a little boy and he should be the reason also however I continue to eat. I'm glad I joined this.sight. less time on Facebook and more time with you.guys.... thank you
  • booty4days365
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    I guess if no effort was required then everyone would be thin and fit. After you have started logging all your food you may be very surprised at how much you are eating. I know I was. Also, after awhile and you see some progress, you may actually start to enjoy the process of learning about nutrition and seeing the benefits. Eventually, logging your nutrition (food, snacks, etc) it isn't a burden at all. Give it a try for 30 straight days and then decide if you want to continue.

I get all.excited and do good for a while and then I start eating again. I joined weight watchers and I lost 7 pounds then gained it back. I don't want to keep.weighing in and getting.no.results that's embarrassing. I need the accountability.... I need support and motivation thank you
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I expect there are lots of people that lose weight and/or maintain without counting calories. They are just not on a site primarily for calorie counting.

However, if you are already big, then counting calories gives you an idea of portion control, and the foods that are higher or lower in calories. Sometimes this is not obvious, such as liquid calories in juice and coffee.

If you have or think you have an eating disorder, go see a doctor.
  • booty4days365
    Options
    Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Choose your hard.

That's so true. Thank you
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You wouldn't actually be physically writing everything down and adding it all up in your head. MFP will do the sums for you. That's why so many of us love it here! All you need to do is be honest about what you're eating, and weigh and measure everything that goes into your mouth. Set your goals and be guided by how many calories MFP tells you to eat. Spend a few days eating how you normally would to see how it all adds up, and then start looking at where you can change things to meet your goals. The longer you stay here the more you'll learn and you might find you prefer to work things differently, but for now this is the way to start changing some of your habits.
  • booty4days365
    Options
    i think the only way to determine what i should eat and how much of it i should have is for me to track it
    im trying a new thing for me - lowering my carb intake even if my fat intake is higher, and for the first time dieting im not starving - the amount of carbs i used to eat was abominable
    - i just cant starve lol im too hungry for that
    - im loosing just doing that- im in the learning faze so i track to know what the carbs are - somedays i have trouble reaching my targeted calories - you have to find something that works for you i believe we are not all cut out the same - just dont quit - youre worth it

Thank you. I need to stop being so lazy! If I don't do something I'm going to get diabetes. What's it going to take for me to do this. Uhh I ate the food.now I have to pay the price.
  • bishamarvel
    bishamarvel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, you can alwals eat something tasty in the morning, and everything really healthy leave for the rest of the day.))
    The best solution if you want to eat - just drink)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    another good way to control what you eat is to log it BEFORE you actually eat it. When you see how many calories are in that bag of chips or that sandwich, it might help you to have only half the bag or half the sandwich and save the other half for later. It really helps to pre log until you start get an automatic idea of how many calories are in the things you normally eat.