Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Good Mornings help

Struggling a bit with these. I am finding I can get the bend to 90 degrees easily if I either, have a slight bend in my knees or do them pretty much unweighted.
To have enough weight on to feel my hamstrings etc working to do them I am then struggling to keep my legs straight and/or get to parallel with the floor.
Obviously this is a flexibilty issue which I need to look at but do I keep a decent weight on and work at getting flatter or do I drop the weight to next to nothing and creep it up really slow or do I keep the weight up and work on doing them with bent knees and work to straighten the knees????

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    bump for suggestions
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    I never do good mornings with straight legs. I've always got a bend in them. I don't think I've ever seen them done like that and would think it could lead to injury. Even stiff leg deads are done with a slight bend.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Straight leg good mornings with weight are a nice stretch- they aren't meant to be done with heavy weight.

Heavy weight good mornings are to be done with a bend- most of the people I know are doing a deep bend- the bar path travels straight up and down- so your hips hinge- and your knees bend.

And if you are really bothered by all that- you can always do seated good mornings. Because that's a whole other world of ham string fun.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    There are many good demonstrative videos on you tube. I'll post a link later of the one I like best. It shows where to place the bar and the importance of not hunching. Proper form really helped me with these
  • roxylola
    Thanks folks I feel better about them now
    Heavy weight Good Mornings... Not sure mine would qualify for that, I am pretty new to them - about 10kgs on the bar so 30kg altogether! I do keep my back flat and don't hunch, the bar seems to sit pretty low I find. Video would be appreciated - I looked it up on one site or other that shows demos and it seemed to really emphasise the straight leg thing

And um seated, that sounds like a world of pain!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    slight bend in the knees is good.
  • JoRocka
    Look up people pushing 2-300 pounds doing good mornings- like men- not women. Women tend to stick to straight leg ones- we're talking moving some real weight around.
  • yoovie
    edited November 2014

• yoovie
    edited November 2014
  • yoovie
    oh crap = i thought you were saying, Look up on the thread, people, we are talking about using real amounts of weight! not tiny bits!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    I always do good mornings with a slight bend in the knee. I have always been under the impression that locking the knees with these was not good.
  • JoRocka
    yoovie wrote: »
    oh crap = i thought you were saying, Look up on the thread, people, we are talking about using real amounts of weight! not tiny bits!

LOL- no 95 is still solid- I mean you can straight leg 95 pounds- but (and this was a more directed at roxylola- but kind of a generic comment) if you look up folks on the interwebz doing heavy *kitten* weights- the mechanics are significantly different than what people think of when they first think of "good mornings"

like this
    http://youtu.be/BN2r7z-WKCY
  • roxylola
    I had a look at the youtube, I have a very strong pelvic tilt, I think that is part of why I need to bend at the knees. It concerns me less now though - you who know more than me seem to think it's par for the course so I shall just keep on keeping on!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I fear heavy weights.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited November 2014

You're welcome :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    PEE WEE HERMAN FITNESS!