what should i eat

Options
Hi there, as some of you already know I am a college student, therefore the only cooking tools at my disposal are a microwave and a small fridge. Lately I have lost some weight by eating under my calories, however its mostly been 100 cal snacks and other not healthy food. I realize this is not a healthy diet, but I also know that i cannot make myself eat raw veggies all day. So what are some suggestions for me to eat? Also are those healthy choice meals really healthy? I am also kind of broke so I can't spend a whole lot of money. Thanks :)

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Too many preservatives. Anything frozen is bad, except fruit/veggies, really.
    Anything pre-packaged is BAD.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Can you get a crock pot?
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Dumb question: do you only eat in your dorm room? If you have a meal plan I am sure you can find some healthy things to eat in the cafeteria.

5097983.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    It's hard with just a fridge and microwave! When I had that, I had to buy packaged stuff since I didn't have a stove, blender, cutting board (?), etc. So I got things like frozen black bean burgers, soy milk, Slim Fasts for those times when I was tired of black bean burgers, eggs (you can hard boil in the microwave. yum...). If you have a Trader Joe's around they have a lot of prepackaged natural things like dried fruit, salmon burgers, nuts
  • kellicarter11
    kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    yea I worked in the caf for a yr that's partly how I gained all this weight, they don't have anything healthy usually its burgers and fries they have a salad bar but its.......lets just say I would not recommend anyone eating there if they don't have too
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else who said anything in a box or prepackaged is usually crap. Can you even make a hard boiled egg .. or get one at the cafeteria to bring to your little fridge? Sounds like a banana or egg would be better for a snack that what you might be eating now. A few almonds? (I can't keep nuts in my house because I'll eat too many servings and they're high calorie but maybe you have better self-restraint than I do.)

If we're only talking about "portable food" and you have a Trader Joe's, they have some dried fruit that doesn't have AS MUCH sugar as most. . you have to read the labels carefully though, get the fruit with the least added sugar, nuts, they also usually carry natural and some organic beef and turkey jerky. Well, the jerky isn't that cheap but you need something with protein. Even cheese would be good. Yes, it has a lot of fat but you need some and it stabilizes your blood sugar levels.

(I'm a low carber so I can have plenty of fats, and no one yell at me about that unless you want me sending you articles about fat and cholesterol not being linked as previously thought.)
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You can also make yourself healthy wraps. There's a tortilla (really yummy) called Ole-Xtreme Wellness - Low Carb, High fiber...comes in various flavors. Add tuna, cheese, turkey, veggies...you can even nuke them to warm them if you want to.

In the grocery store, you can even get hard boiled eggs these days - high protein, low cal, very filling. Also, greek yogurt is a great snack with lots of protein.
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    Go to a thrift store and try to find a microwave cook book, I see them there all the time for a couple bucks. That may give you some good ideas. Even if the recipes aren't so healthy, you can swap unhealthy items for better ones. Also look for those microwave pasta and veggie steamers there, I see them there also. Or get them at a regular store, might be worth the splurge. I have heard of people popping popcorn kernels in a paper lunch bag with the end folded over. Look for reduced sodium canned veggies or soups. I don't use my microwave for much more than warming things up, but I hope this helps!
  • oxyjenic
    oxyjenic Posts: 18
    Options
    I like to get the already roasted chickens from the store, then take all the meat off it (without the skin) and keep it in a container to use for salads and sandwiches. It usually lasts me a few days.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    peanut butter n jelly sandwiches
    all natural granola/cereal bars
    protein shakes
    i don't know how often you get to a stove, but i hard boil a dozen eggs at a time and keep them in the fridge and eat one a day.
    yogurt and cottage cheese
    dried fruits
    turkey hot dogs (microwavable)
    tuna fish
    brown rice, quinoa, cous cous, and even pasta can be microwaved
    i get vanilla almond or soy milk that doesn't need to be refrigerated
    i also microwave fish with italian dressing, it's awesome
    bananas are cheap
    a brita or filtered water bottle is a must
    nuts
    carrots last a long time and they're pretty cheap too

ummm thats all i can think of right now, but i hope that helps a little
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I like to get the already roasted chickens from the store, then take all the meat off it (without the skin) and keep it in a container to use for salads and sandwiches. It usually lasts me a few days.

This is a really good idea!!!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2299844_make-hard-boiled-egg-microwave.html

You can make scrambled egg in the microwave. I eat them inside of one of the aforementioned Xtreme wellness tortillas by Ole. They're DELICIOUS tortillas, and only 71 calories. You can add cheese or veggies too.

you can make an omelet in the microwave too. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Microwave-Omelet

a really good shake that you can mix with water is called Naturade total soy. I get it at Sam's club. Huge bag of it for 20 bucks (47 servings per bag)
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggie singles, baked potato (microwave ready), progresso soup.
  • kmb2522
    kmb2522 Posts: 48
    Options
    when i lived in the dorms before i moved into my apartment i lived off of baby carrots, hummus, turkey sandwiches (sometimes either from the union or i had my own wraps and turkey i bought and kept in my fridge) soups Campbell, V8, progresso makes awesome soups. i would also eat Celeste microwave pizzas theres one serving and not that processed also aunnie chungs i think its called there chinese noodle bowls so yummy and no preservatives. trader joes makes microwave brown rice i think it was four servings in a package so i would make it then save the rest for later. i would also buy pretzels goldfish, crackers, and chips i would open it and immediately portion it out into bags so i wouldn't eat it all out of the bag. i lost 5 pounds immediately when i started doing that. i also had ceral and milk for breakfast, or oatmeal. if you need any tips or brands to buy to keep in your dorm feel free to ask! the food at my school gave me migranes so i literally lived out of a mini fridge and a microwave for a year so im an expert
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A microwave plus fridge has plenty of options! Is there a freezer part of the fridge?

Baked potato - top with grated cheese, baked beans, tuna mayo (made with light mayo or yoghurt), sour cream and chives (again, use natural yoghurt)

Baked sweet potato - same recipes as above, or scoop out the flesh and mash with a fork and some olive oil for a healthier alternative to mashed potato.

Scrambled eggs.

Porridge.

Individual frozen fillets of fish, such as salmon - these cook very quickly in the microwave.

I have a special ridged dish for cooking crispy bacon in the micro - mmmmm!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I lived with just a fridge and microwave for 6 months when my kitchen was being redone! With a bit of forethought and checking recipes on the internet you can cook nearly anything - even bacon!

My best healthy standby was stir fry. Quickly zap chopped up meat, fish of prawns, add a supermarket pack of stir-fry veg or chop up your own, zap a bit more, add sauce and heat through. Voila!

You can make a great cheap stir fry sauce with soy sauce, a dash of honey and a pinch of Chinese 5-spice powder.