I'm having a really hard time "starting" to exercise. Help!

Options
I really need some motivation to start. I've been doing OK in the nutrition area, so I think that will help but anytime I think about doing exercise I just get tired, instantly.

Here are my excuses (that I don't want to be excuses anymore):
1. I work all day. Leave my house at 7am and get back at 7pm.
2. Once I get home I cook my meals for the next day, don't go to sleep until 10 or 11.
3. In between getting meals ready, I get my son ready for bed and all the night winding down things that go with it. (My husband helps, but sometimes he just wants "mommy")
4. I have tried waking up in the morning an hour before to try an exercise, but my energy level is still very low and I just get lazy and don't get up.

Please help with any suggestions you think my help. Perhaps stuff to organize myself a little better because as I right this....it seems that might be my problem, learning to manage my time a little better.

Help!

Replies

• carroyo1986
    Options
    I meant *write
  • TigerAlum09
    TigerAlum09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This will show what a nerd I am, but I'm currently into Zombie 5K. It's a phone app like C25K, but with zombies. Each day you walk/jog/run, you get more of the story and the novelty totally has me hooked. I think once you get on a roll, it gets easier, so maybe start with something fun?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Put your trainers on and walk two miles six days a week. That is a good way to get started. Also check youtube for exercises you can do at home.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time too and I'm at home all day and night!! Lazy! BUT! Today I just said, I'm bored of this! Watching tv and you know? It's time to get back to working out. I wait until midnight. Try to workout when your kids are asleep and not right before bed but even if it's just a 15-20 minute walk or dvd program. Start slow and maybe you can also park farther away, take the stairs, stuff like that. I know it's tough but you can do it.
  • rererangi03
    rererangi03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    yep im doing ok nutritional wise but just got nutta for fitness at the moment i watch these 30 day shreds n stuff but just havent committed myself just yet - i just do housework n look after my kids n the arvo evenings
  • Shant1llyLace
    Options
    I really need some motivation to start. I've been doing OK in the nutrition area, so I think that will help but anytime I think about doing exercise I just get tired, instantly.

2. Once I get home I cook my meals for the next day, don't go to sleep until 10 or 11.
    3. In between getting meals ready, I get my son ready for bed and all the night winding down things that go with it. (My husband helps, but sometimes he just wants "mommy")
    4. I have tried waking up in the morning an hour before to try an exercise, but my energy level is still very low and I just get lazy and don't get up.

1) I don't know what you do but, if you are sitting in an office there are exercises you can do while sitting that will tone legs. If you get breaks use them to walk, walk while eating or drinking your smoothie. If you use emails/phones to contact each other in the office, stop, get up out of your sea and walk to them. Every hour walk around the office. Take weights and work alternate arms. If you're on the phone, stand and walk in place. If you can;t do that while sitting march in place.

If we can have an idea of what you do we can give more ideas.

2) Instead of cooking the night before, cook on the weekends for the entire week, or even once a month, or use a slow cooker.

3) Use your son to exercise, cuddle him while walking, lay down with him and exercise while on the floor (how old he is will depend on exercises) Yoga exercises, if he is old enough. are calm and relaxing and he will still spend time with you.

4) You need sleep. I know getting up early is painful. You do need sleep still. and you wouldn't be getting 8 hours as it is. BUT if you want to start getting up earlier, start 5 minutes earlier. And build up over a period of weeks. Do a 5 minute routine (one or two sets of...) as you increase your time add your exercises. I have been told to wear (clean) workout clothes to bed, so that I can roll out of bed and just get going instead of wasting time getting ready. Pull hair back into messy bun, if long, and hide the rest with a broad cloth head band Do this as you're walking out the door. Wake up 10 minute early and you can walk 5 minutes out and 5 minutes back. walk with weights, get ankle weights to help.

Every little but counts and if you can't get a big block of time make up the time other ways. You can always slip in small amounts of exercise. And it all counts.
  • carroyo1986
    Options
    This will show what a nerd I am, but I'm currently into Zombie 5K. It's a phone app like C25K, but with zombies. Each day you walk/jog/run, you get more of the story and the novelty totally has me hooked. I think once you get on a roll, it gets easier, so maybe start with something fun?

I was actually "googling" out some fitness apps to see which one's were available and I saw that one. I love zombies stuff, but not so much running. However, since it's a game, maybe that will get me moving.

Thanks!
  • carroyo1986
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    I was having a hard time too and I'm at home all day and night!! Lazy! BUT! Today I just said, I'm bored of this! Watching tv and you know? It's time to get back to working out. I wait until midnight. Try to workout when your kids are asleep and not right before bed but even if it's just a 15-20 minute walk or dvd program. Start slow and maybe you can also park farther away, take the stairs, stuff like that. I know it's tough but you can do it.

Thank you! I really do have to try and exercise after my kid has gone to sleep because if i'm awake, he has to be awake. So usually I have to go "pretend" to go to sleep and then go off and finish what I have to do.

Definitely have started to park farther and taking the stairs at work.

Thank you. Great advice!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    "2) Instead of cooking the night before, cook on the weekends for the entire week, or even once a month, or use a slow cooker." - Yes, this is a good idea to save you some time.

As far as exercise, I say don't overwhelm yourself with a set-in-stone 30 min. or whatever. Start small: in the evening, whenever, do one set of an upper body move and one set of a lower body move. Ex: do 3 sets of lunges (12 each) and 3 sets of bicep curls (12 each). The next night target another leg muscle and your triceps, etc. Do the sets in succession (upper, lower, upper, lower) without a break and it gets your heart rate up just a bit. That works for me when I'm short on time.
  • carroyo1986
    Options

1) I don't know what you do but, if you are sitting in an office there are exercises you can do while sitting that will tone legs. If you get breaks use them to walk, walk while eating or drinking your smoothie. If you use emails/phones to contact each other in the office, stop, get up out of your sea and walk to them. Every hour walk around the office. Take weights and work alternate arms. If you're on the phone, stand and walk in place. If you can;t do that while sitting march in place.

If we can have an idea of what you do we can give more ideas.

2) Instead of cooking the night before, cook on the weekends for the entire week, or even once a month, or use a slow cooker.

3) Use your son to exercise, cuddle him while walking, lay down with him and exercise while on the floor (how old he is will depend on exercises) Yoga exercises, if he is old enough. are calm and relaxing and he will still spend time with you.

4) You need sleep. I know getting up early is painful. You do need sleep still. and you wouldn't be getting 8 hours as it is. BUT if you want to start getting up earlier, start 5 minutes earlier. And build up over a period of weeks. Do a 5 minute routine (one or two sets of...) as you increase your time add your exercises. I have been told to wear (clean) workout clothes to bed, so that I can roll out of bed and just get going instead of wasting time getting ready. Pull hair back into messy bun, if long, and hide the rest with a broad cloth head band Do this as you're walking out the door. Wake up 10 minute early and you can walk 5 minutes out and 5 minutes back. walk with weights, get ankle weights to help.

Every little but counts and if you can't get a big block of time make up the time other ways. You can always slip in small amounts of exercise. And it all counts.

Wow! If I could rate this as the best response, I would. (I am not at all undermining everyone else's by the way).

1. I work at an office, sitting down for most of the day. I will definitely start doing the getting up every hour and walking around. I think I can walk a lap around the office using the stairs.

2. Since this was my first week I "tried" to cook for the whole week but only ended up preparing the stuff. Still helped, but I was still required to do some work the night before. I guess I have to look for some healthy slow cooker recipes.

3. He is a very active 3 year old. Maybe I can try some sort of game with him. =)

4. I can work with 5 minutes. I'll try that tomorrow morning. I can definitely come up with a quick 5-10 minute exercise regime in the morning to get the blood flowing.

You are definitely right. I guess I was feeling like I HAD to set aside 30-60 minutes to work out. I guess I can leave those for the weekend when I actually do have time. =)
  • carroyo1986
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your awesome suggestions! I've got them logged in my journal for quick reference!
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

On this point, just do it. It may be tough at first, but make it a habit - you'll get used to it.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    your making excuses, get out there and go, some days I start at 2 am, some days 4 am,,, How bad do you want it??? GO AND GET IT! and stop whining.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do something you wopuld enjoy or walk a bit of the way to work etc. 30mins a day. have a look at fitness blender. Exercise isnt essential but its useful.
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Do you get a lunch hour or coffee break? Can you take a fifteen or twenty minute walk during lunch break or coffee break?

You don't have to start huge. Start small. Ten minutes of exercise is better than none.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I went through the kid-not-sleeping-unless-you're-sleeping-with-him phase. Lasted 11 months. 11 months of HELL, so I get it.

When I started, I got the Tony Horton 10-minute Trainer video workout (you could probably find a similar SHORT workout on YouTube or something) and just got up 15 minutes earlier every day to work out. A few months later I got some Jillian Michaels DVDs and was getting up 15 minutes earlier than that (so 30 min. earlier than before I started working out). I eventually got to the point where I was getting up two hours early to run (marathon training). I've since stopped running, but I now use that time to lift.

TL;DR version: Keep getting up a few minutes earlier to squeeze something in.
  • carroyo1986
    Options
    your making excuses, get out there and go, some days I start at 2 am, some days 4 am,,, How bad do you want it??? GO AND GET IT! and stop whining.

You're right. I have to really want it bad. And I really, really do this time around. I guess I never really pushed for it because no one really has pushed me. I obviously have not been doing the best at pushing myself.

What I need is total strangers telling me to stop whining and just do it!

Thanks! =):D
  • carroyo1986
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Ugh, I went through the kid-not-sleeping-unless-you're-sleeping-with-him phase. Lasted 11 months. 11 months of HELL, so I get it.

When I started, I got the Tony Horton 10-minute Trainer video workout (you could probably find a similar SHORT workout on YouTube or something) and just got up 15 minutes earlier every day to work out. A few months later I got some Jillian Michaels DVDs and was getting up 15 minutes earlier than that (so 30 min. earlier than before I started working out). I eventually got to the point where I was getting up two hours early to run (marathon training). I've since stopped running, but I now use that time to lift.

TL;DR version: Keep getting up a few minutes earlier to squeeze something in.

Yes! I mean i'm lucky he will sleep in his own bed but he won't "sleep" unless i'm in the room in my bed. Ugh! I'll definitely have to try that out. Starting small is the key is what i'm getting from everyone.