Portion size in grams

Options
I am looking to eat between 1200-1500 calories a day. I just purchased a scale in grams and need to know what is the right portion of meats, veggies, grains etc. in grams per meal?

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    None of us can tell you that. Portion sizes are up to you. It depends on heavily on what you're eating. An ounce of lettuce is very different from an ounce of carrots.

Try plating a meal like you normally would, and then weigh each item so you can get a feel for what your baseline is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    CryMtz wrote: »
    I am looking to eat between 1200-1500 calories a day. I just purchased a scale in grams and need to know what is the right portion of meats, veggies, grains etc. in grams per meal?

Depends. What are you eating? How much do you want? etc.

At some point, you'll have to do your own work. 28 grams is an ounce though.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The right portions.... 7 grams...14 grams.... 21 grams.... 28 grams...
  • CryMtz
    CryMtz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I understand that, but I would think there would be a base line for weight loss especially of the main items including lean meat and grains like brown rice or quinoa. I can measure out what I already eat and see what it is but what I am eating now isn't working so some guidelines would help.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm sorry. I was joking with my post. There is an inside joke with those numbers that I am sure some people get. I wasn't trying to derail.

Either way, there is no right portion size for everyone. Weight loss is all about calories so figuring out your portion sizes should be based on your calorie goals.
  • CryMtz
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm sorry. I was joking with my post. There is an inside joke with those numbers that I am sure some people get. I wasn't trying to derail.

Either way, there is no right portion size for everyone. Weight loss is all about calories so figuring out your portion sizes should be based on your calorie goals.

Okay, so if I don't eat anything from a box, can or container that has serving size or calorie counts. I should just research each raw item to see how many calories they have per gram? And then decide how many grams I am going to eat?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I understand that, but I would think there would be a base line for weight loss especially of the main items including lean meat and grains like brown rice or quinoa. I can measure out what I already eat and see what it is but what I am eating now isn't working so some guidelines would help.

There really isn't. Everyone on here eats differently. There's no standard diet for success.

I suggested measuring out what you already eat, so you can understand how big or small your portion sizes already are and where you can (and should) make adjustments, so that you will find success.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

There really isn't. Everyone on here eats differently. There's no standard diet for success.

I suggested measuring out what you already eat, so you can understand how big or small your portion sizes already are and where you can (and should) make adjustments, so that you will find success.
    [/quote]

This right here. It is good to know what you are already eating. After awhile the scale becomes secondary and you can eyeball what portions work for you.
  • CryMtz
    Options

Thank you, I guess this will be hard then I thought. I was hoping someone could just tell me how much to eat of things and I would listen and BAMM! have results...
  • dweat62
    dweat62 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honestly that is an extremely low amount of calories. Unless you literally don't move from a desk for 12 hours of the day you probably won't lose weight due to being malnourished... my .02
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Thank you, I guess this will be hard then I thought. I was hoping someone could just tell me how much to eat of things and I would listen and BAMM! have results...
    Yeah, sadly, not how it works.
  • CryMtz
    Options
    dweat62 wrote: »
    Honestly that is an extremely low amount of calories. Unless you literally don't move from a desk for 12 hours of the day you probably won't lose weight due to being malnourished... my .02

I do sit at a desk all day long, however I do Crossfit 5 days a week and run 3+ miles on Sundays. I been doing crossfit and running and met with a nutritionist and follow her advice (no processed foods, cut back on sugars from fruit and 1200-1500 cal a day) for 9 months lost zero lbs. My body had changed but the scale has not moved. I was told Im probably eating more then I think I am because I don't weight it, so now Im going to weight it to see if that helps.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options

What worked well for me was to log for about a week to understand how many calories I was actually eating. Once I really understood what I was eating, I started cutting back on portion sizes and modifying the way I ate to meet my calorie goals.

You don't need to just eat lean protein and whole grains to lose weight. I have continued to eat the meals that I love to cook/eat throughout my whole process. I just adjust the portions or eat less elsewhere in the day to make everything fit. My diary is open if you want to look through it and get some ideas of what has worked for me.

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    There is however a lot of good information on this site to help you get started and to help make this work for you.

Two posts that I cannot recommend highly enough are:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

If it was easy, everyone would be thin ;)

You can absolutely google meal plans that you can use as a guide. I like to eat the foods I've always eaten, and just watch my portions. Some people like to be told exactly what to eat - both ways are okay.

Good luck!
  • CryMtz
    Options

If it was easy, everyone would be thin ;)

You can absolutely google meal plans that you can use as a guide. I like to eat the foods I've always eaten, and just watch my portions. Some people like to be told exactly what to eat - both ways are okay.

Good luck!

Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

There really isn't. I eat anywhere between 140 - 150 grams of protein per day and 2300ish calories to lose weight...pretty sure my portions would vary greatly for yours.

That said, most meats will list a serving as 4 ounces as an example...but a serving of meat for me is rarely 4 ounces...usually more like 6 or 8 depending. USDA servings of veggies are usually 85-100 grams...a serving for me is generally double or more. Etc, etc, etc, etc...

The "serving sizes" are there to give you a baseline of X is going to be Y calories...your actual serving size will vary.
  • CryMtz
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

There really isn't. I eat anywhere between 140 - 150 grams of protein per day and 2300ish calories to lose weight...pretty sure my portions would vary greatly for yours.

That said, most meats will list a serving as 4 ounces as an example...but a serving of meat for me is rarely 4 ounces...usually more like 6 or 8 depending. USDA servings of veggies are usually 85-100 grams...a serving for me is generally double or more. Etc, etc, etc, etc...

The "serving sizes" are there to give you a baseline of X is going to be Y calories...your actual serving size will vary.

Thank you, I am realizing I'm going to have to do a lot of logging and researching to figure out what I'm doing and what I need to do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

See what you are eating now and what the calories add up to and then experiment with reducing it. Maybe use the serving size on the packages (for grains) as a starting point, especially since you can see easily what the calories are. 4 oz raw is often considered a basic serving size for meat (a little more than 112 grams or so), but you might want more or potentially less depending on what you are eating with it, protein goals, so on. I really think it makes sense to just understand where your calories are coming from first and then figure out how to cut them.

Eat as many non starchy vegetables as you like. They fill up a plate well and you will see the calories are quite low.

Edit: seeing your additional information above makes me think even more strongly that it makes sense to start by focusing on your current food. You've been trying to eat at a deficit, so you want to see where you might be eating more than you thought.