Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)... thoughts?

Options
Appealing to the community wisdom... what do you think about the TVP? is it a good and safe source of protein? is it worth eating?

Thanks for your comments!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    In what specifically? :)
  • Jim_1000
    Jim_1000 Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here is a link for a review of TVP. I would only eat Soy prodcuts in moderation due to estrogen in it. Soy is said to prevent certain cancers but also to cause mental problems like dimentia.
    www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/what-you-need-to-know-before-you-eat-textured-vegetable-protein-tvp
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In what specifically? :)

Well, I know it can be used as a meat substitute, but I don't plan to quit meat :) I just want to know more about the product/food... Thanks!
  • JoseCastaneda
    edited November 2014
    Options
    fenderman9 wrote: »
    Here is a link for a review of TVP. I would only eat Soy prodcuts in moderation due to estrogen in it. Soy is said to prevent certain cancers but also to cause mental problems like dimentia.
    www.evolvingwellness.com/essay/what-you-need-to-know-before-you-eat-textured-vegetable-protein-tvp

I think the link got lost in the void :open_mouth:

EDIT: Once I quoted your comment, I can see the link. Thanks!
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    :) It's a great question, looking forward to seeing if anyone has tried it!!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I use it to make chili and tacos. In really spicy dishes you can't tell it from hamburger. I don't eat it often, but it's cheap and doesn't spoil so a good thing to have around for the day before grocery shopping.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Is this like quorn?

If so, it's alright for a change but I couldn't live on it. I used quorn to make lasagne when I had a vegetarian friend over - it was quite nice.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Rehydrated, TVP is a great replacement for any ground meat - I use it a lot in taco meat and pasta sauce. With some crushed anise seed, soy sauce, tomato paste, and garlic, it becomes an amazing ground-sausage-thing.

I also love it as a high-protein breakfast - you can do half TVP and half oats and dress it up just like you would your favorite oatmeal. Awwww yeah.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options
    I used to eat tons of TVP with taco seasoning and other spices. It is delicious, especially if you're not eating meat. But I don't think it's actually *good* for you or beneficial for much other than producing a meatlike product. And even then, as someone said above, it's extremely processed and contains soy, both things that are not great for you. (Consuming unfermented soy is linked to hormonal imbalances. Fermented soy, like soy sauce or tempeh, is better for you.)

So... I would say it's not worth it.
  • JoseCastaneda
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It seems it's better to have it just in case of emergencies :wink:

I don't like the risk of hormonal imbalances though...
  • gizmo_2014
    Options
    TVP is a fantastic product! I use it often in place of ground meat as I do not consume meat. It is great for protein and takes on any flavour you want.

Soy is not a bad thing to consume as long as you are not consuming high quantities daily. Some here and there is nothing to worry about and will not cause any hormonal imbalances.
  • Jim_1000
    Jim_1000 Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There is some soy or soy oil in most comercial foods these days. I notice it alot in Presidents Choice frozen meats. It is a very cheap filler for the corperations. Thats why I don't like to add any extra to my diet, including edamame beans.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I used to eat tons of TVP with taco seasoning and other spices. It is delicious, especially if you're not eating meat. But I don't think it's actually *good* for you or beneficial for much other than producing a meatlike product. And even then, as someone said above, it's extremely processed and contains soy, both things that are not great for you. (Consuming unfermented soy is linked to hormonal imbalances. Fermented soy, like soy sauce or tempeh, is better for you.)

Soy is only going to be an issue if you have a thyroid problem. The estrogen in a serving or two of soy a day are no worse for anyone with a fully functioning thyroid than the amount of estrogen in oral contraceptives.
  • gcwillig
    gcwillig Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have used TVP in place of ground beef in chili, tacos, spaghetti sauce and have even added it to ground turkey to "stretch" my meatloaf. If I want it to have more of a beef flavor I rehydrate it with low sodium beef broth.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of people out there who would argue it's not necessarily safe. But I think it's a useful substitute.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    fenderman9 wrote: »
    I would only eat Soy prodcuts in moderation due to estrogen in it.
    agree

• hiswaywardgirl
    Options

Soy is only going to be an issue if you have a thyroid problem. The estrogen in a serving or two of soy a day are no worse for anyone with a fully functioning thyroid than the amount of estrogen in oral contraceptives.
    That may be true, but like fenderman said, soy is in everything nowadays. Soy lecithin, for one, is omnipresent. Soybean oil is in mayonnaise and margarine. Soy protein isolate is in a lot of processed foods, protein shakes, granola bars and meat substitutes. I try to watch the soy I consume just because I have no real idea how it's adding up. If you ever consume packaged foods or eat at restaurants, you can be pretty sure you're taking in some soy.