Help Me Help You

Options
LOSTandFOUND2014
LOSTandFOUND2014 Posts: 190 Member
edited November 2014 in Introduce Yourself
45 years old. Three Teenage Daughters, Wife, Mother in law, Dog, Cat, Fish, Hamster...along comes my son. I weighed 265, had high blood pressure, high bad cholesterol, low good cholesterol, sleep apnea, fatty liver, hernia, etc. Fast forward a few years, in a grocery store... crowded checkout ... my boy says good and loud "You're really FAT Dad." I laughed it off, but bottled that up good. He was right. I was. I had given up it would seem. How embarrassing. I never wanted him to think it say that again. Wanted to be a good example. Long story short, about a year ago, after a hernia surgery, I use the downtime to come up with an eating strategy and exercise. Some good friends and a couple great ones on MFP I manage to lose 50lbs. Down to 215 at one point. Long story even shorter... the stresses of life, a couple months gone, the loss of a close friend...I have piled it back on to 252. what an embarassing waste. My heart may be broken, my spirited shattered, but my young son is still here. And needs me. Head lowered in shame, I offer any help I can give to you if you'd like to be MyFitnessPALS. I did it before, and I'll do it again. I could use any help you have to offer as well. Nobody does it alone. Although we try, don't we. I'm 45, a Plumber, and I was in The U.S. Marine Corps... so let's TeamUp, We got this!

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Best post of the day. Thanks and welcome here.
  • kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    First, thank you for your service to our country. It was my son's lifelong dream to join the USMC, but an injury in boot sent him home and changed his path.

I also lost a substantial bit of weight when I was faithfully using MFP almost 2yrs ago then life got in the way and I've put back on about 20. (BTW- my sympathy over the loss of your friend.) Now, I want to call a do-over as well. I'm not sure how to get my discipline back, but I thought trying to be more active on the site could help.

I'm in.
  • takkyboomboom
    takkyboomboom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lift that head high; this is a no shame culture. Whatever it was is irrelevant - it's all about what you do next. We got this.

Added :)
  • Rich71bat
    Rich71bat Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Fantastic attitude and like you my kids are also a big part of my motivation. Feel free to add me!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    More power to you mate....if you want any extra encouragement or support you are welcome to add me. My youngest daughter many years ago was behind me in the shopping line....slapped me on the *kitten* and said " you got a big bum mum" yep I know the shame you feel.

• joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My kids are my inspiration for everything I do. Keep at it and it will happen.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service…my husband is in the Marines and I gained some weight while we were dating due to the stress of him being stationed overseas, but now that he is back we are supporting each other and making sure we stay on track with our nutrition and fitness. I would love to help you on your journey!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    45 years old. Three Teenage Daughters, Wife, Mother in law, Dog, Cat, Fish, Hamster...along comes my son. I weighed 265, had high blood pressure, high bad cholesterol, low good cholesterol, sleep apnea, fatty liver, hernia, etc. Fast forward a few years, in a grocery store... crowded checkout ... my boy says good and loud "You're really FAT Dad." I laughed it off, but bottled that up good. He was right. I was. I had given up it would seem. How embarrassing. I never wanted him to think it say that again. Wanted to be a good example. Long story short, about a year ago, after a hernia surgery, I use the downtime to come up with an eating strategy and exercise. Some good friends and a couple great ones on MFP I manage to lose 50lbs. Down to 215 at one point. Long story even shorter... the stresses of life, a couple months gone, the loss of a close friend...I have piled it back on to 252. what an embarassing waste. My heart may be broken, my spirited shattered, but my young son is still here. And needs me. Head lowered in shame, I offer any help I can give to you if you'd like to be MyFitnessPALS. I did it before, and I'll do it again. I could use any help you have to offer as well. Nobody does it alone. Although we try, don't we. I'm 45, a Plumber, and I was in The U.S. Marine Corps... so let's TeamUp, We got this!

I know you think that what your kid said in the store and the regaining weight is embarrassing but get this...

I was in the end parts of a bad relationship, ya know, when you know it's definitely over in your brain but in your heart you still think...well, maybe. The guy had kids and we were at target. In the middle of target he made a big stinky fart and his daughter goes "Ew dad that was gross." And ran off. Next around the corner was some hot chick he knew from high school (still hot of course, but not as hot as me, of course too). I wondered how he would handle it but he was a smooth talker and tried to make like nothing happened and then got smart and started staring at another man in our aisle to make it seem like it came from him. Just then his daughter came running back to show him a doll she wanted and goes..."OMG DAD! that was the worst fart you ever made... it stinked on the next aisle over WHAT are you eating?!"

Bye bye hot chick from high school. LOL.
  • jamesbaird35325
    jamesbaird35325 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service! We do got this, so raise your head, no shame, lets get this done!
  • makingmylifebetter
    Options
    My daughter's grown up and married, but she's still my main motivation, along with the someday grandkids that I want to be here for. My daughter doesn't remember my mom.

I know what it's like to lose a bunch and then gain a bunch. In my case, I gained a bunch more. Am older now and it's going to be harder but it's got to come off. My life depends on it.

Friend request sent.