2000 Calories per day?

I work out 5 times a week doing two cardio sessions and three weight sessions burning 5-600 calories per workout. I have been told today that I should be eating 2000 calories per day to loose around 3-4kg. Does this sound right? And if it is, do I input 2000 calories into myfitnesspal and it will adjust/amend as needed when I enter my workout details?

I also have a fitbit tracker and maintain around 10000-14000 steps each day. I am 167cm tall and currently 63kg. Any advise appreciated as I just can't seem to loose these last few kg!

Replies

• ChokingDrama
    ChokingDrama Posts: 12
    edited November 2014
    Note: This is the method I use, some people may use a different method.

"To lose weight, you need to take in less calories (I consume 500 less) from food than your body expends. To maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss, you need to eat a GOOD DIET and EXERCISE. Aim to lose 4-6lbs a month, any more may result in excessive muscle loss."

With that said, I calculated my own BMR and multiplied by 1.55 (using the formula below) and then subtracted 500 from that number, that is how many calories I aim to eat per day.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
  • oberlin078
    oberlin078 Posts: 10 Member
    I just entered all my info on the MFP goal setting page and went with the numbers that it provided. I later had a basal metabolic rate test and MFP's estimate was within 10% of my actual daily caloric expenditure. I would suggest using MFP, trying its recommendation, and then tracking to see if your actual losses are close to what was predicted. If not, you can always adjust.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Note: This is the method I use, some people may use a different method.

"To lose weight, you need to take in less calories (I consume 500 less) from food than your body expends. To maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss, you need to eat a GOOD DIET and EXERCISE. Aim to lose 4-6lbs a month, any more may result in excessive muscle loss."

With that said, I calculated my own BMR and multiplied by 1.55 (using the formula below) and then subtracted 500 from that number, that is how many calories I aim to eat per day.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

From what I've heard,the Harris benedict formula is pretty out-dated. 2 newer calculations
    that people now use,are Mifflin-St Jeo or even better if you know your bf% Katch-McCardle.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    I don't think it really matters if you use an out dated formula or a newer one or simply plug your stats into MFP - regardless of how you arrive at your number, you should then adjust it by actual results - ie eat that number accurately for, say, a month and then re adjust the number if you are not losing (or gaining, maintaining, whichever is desired outcome)

All calculations are only a guide - actual results rather than a blind adherence to a formula, should be your deciding factor in whether a calorie target adjustment is needed.