Competition anyone?

Options
I was thinking of starting a FB group where we all put money in a pool, and at the end of a period of time, there would be a winner of the funds based on the percentage of weight lost.

I know it would really help to motivate me, anyone else up for some competition?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    why not participate in a dietbet?

The goals are usually a % of weight loss in a certian time period. Everyone who achieves it gets to split the pot.

Danni from the 2013 Season of Biggest Loser is starting one on Nov 18.
    The bet is $25 and the goal is to lose 4% of your body weight in 28 days. There are 306 players so far and those who acheive it get to split the pot.

Oh and with dietbet people have to take weigh-in photos for verification. There's special conditions to the photos to, but I've never participated in one so I don't know what they are.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Couldn't people just lie to claim the funds?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't want to throw money away. Thanks. :noway:

throwing-money-away.gif

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Couldn't people just lie to claim the funds?

This.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'd love to give money to a pool of strangers on the internet! As soon as the exiled Nigerian prince I've been corresponding with sends me the cash, I'm in!

In all seriousness, OP, I don't think you're a scammer. But I think you maybe haven't thought about the actual logistics of getting a group of strangers to contribute money into a pool and then competing for it. Who would hold the money? Who would ensure there was no cheating?
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I'm in if I control the funds.
    Who would hold the money?
    Me.
    Who would ensure there was no cheating?
    Me.

Guess who is going to win?

• kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yea I would do it but I'm worried about cheating
  • Kara_Lisa
    Kara_Lisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've kind of been thinking about it, but thought if enough people were interested that we could have several admins that have a large FB history (no newbies) with people who could vouche for them. All participants would need to take photos with certain requirements (something in them to prove date) and pics of scale weekly.

But in all reality...it seems like a really great idea with a lot of work. It appears there's already something similar set up I may check into.
  • Kara_Lisa
    Kara_Lisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Interesting, on this website, we can actually form our OWN group, then all the logistics are taken care of for us.

http://www.dietbetter.com/
  • Kalikel
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kara_Lisa wrote: »
    Interesting, on this website, we can actually form our OWN group, then all the logistics are taken care of for us.

/
    I'd advise against it. Someone is going to cheat. You'll be out your cash.

Have a non-monetary competition. That's the smart way to go!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Something like this a better in real life then online where you do not see what people are eating. This sounds like a promotion for crash dieting.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Something like this a better in real life then online where you do not see what people are eating. This sounds like a promotion for crash dieting.

Oh, remember that woman who joined looking for a way to drop 5lbs in 3 days "even if it's unhealthy or just water weight" because she had the end of a weight loss bet coming up and was desperate to win?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, give the money to me. I will look after it and make sure of no corruption.....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Wait, I'm busy shaking my wallet upside down into the garbage.