Loose Skin Question.

Options
EmeraldRain
EmeraldRain Posts: 22 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello. I just have a question. I am rather short about 5 foot 2, and I have about 95 pounds to loose (a little less now) and I just wanted to ask others who are similar and have already lost about that much, how bad is the loose skin? I know every one is different and its hard to say because you can't really predict it till it happens. But I was just curious how many of you have, or haven't experienced loose skin after losing around 90-100 pounds?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 75 pounds. The first 60 or so were loose-skin free. Then it began. The wrinkles. The sags. It's gross. I've purposely slowed the weight loss down in the hopes of less loose skin. (It's VERY gross.)

Younger people will have a better time of it because your skin loses elasticity as you age. If you're young and you take the weight loss slowly, there is a much better chance your skin will keep up with you.

But yes, everyone is different. I hope you have no problems! :)
  • EmeraldRain
    EmeraldRain Posts: 22 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for your response, I am 34. The lose skin does have me a little concerned, but I would rather loose skin than being obese. Won't stop me from losing weight. I was just curious to know how bad it can be. Thanks for your reply :)
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    everyone will have loose skin
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you get lean enough (lower level of BMI) and you lift weights, it will start to pull in quite a bit. It takes a while, but until your body is convinced that it doesn't need that excess skin anymore for resuming fat storage it won't go away on its own. The problem most people have is that although they lose a lot of weight, they are still above the body fat set point for thier body to do anything about toning the loose skin. People that have lost large amounts of weight that also dropped serious body fat and worked out to the point of being ripped don't have loose skin. People who settle for 30% body fat and don't work out are going to have loose skin issues.

Somewhere around when I dropped to less than 20% body fat, the loose skin I have around my midsection started to pull in and tighten. Before that it wouldn't budge. There's still some left mostly in the abs area, but every week it seems to get a little better. I figure if I keep running a deficit and keep lifting that in the next six months or so it'll be gone completely.

Also, don't neglect good nutrition. Your body needs the raw materials and energy to do the transformation. Stay hydrated, increase essential fats in your diet, and get ample gelatin and collagen from eating skin and connective tissue around bones (chicken thighs with skin on are great for that).
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yes you will have some loose skin. It probably won't be a major problem if you lose the weight in a healthy manner but genetics play a big role. Make sure you pay attention to your nutrition. And exercise regularly. Using a loofa a skin drybrush or some exfoliating agent is good. But as far as your skin goes nutrition > everything else. None of the creams and crap that beauty manufacturers like to push on us come even close to your diets effect on your skin.

Basically if you lose weight by eating a very small calorie controlled amount of ice cream and pizza every day and sitting on your bum don't expect good results in the skin area.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see. Although, I have convinced myself that I'm going to have some that hangs over my csection scar. Currently though, there is a bit of sagging fat on my butt and I have a nice bunch of saggy fat that hangs over my c-section scar. I however, still have 38lbs to lose.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    It honestly depends on your body. I have seen people lose 100 lbs and have a flat stomach, while some lose 50 and have loose skin. Not fair, but it's life. You can.always get that stuff fixed, so no worries! Good luck on your weight loss!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I wish someone could definitively tell you whether you personally will wind up with loose skin, but we can't. We can tell you what happened to each of us, but we can't tell you whether the same thing will happen to you (for good or for ill).

I personally had a handful-grabbable amount of loose, hanging skin on my lower abdomen after my pregnancy, even after losing the pregnancy weight all the way down to 105, with working out to grow/maintain muscle underneath. I still had it 17 years later before I experienced my second pregnancy, so I can pretty safely say that for me, the loose skin was permanent. It's filled out more by fat now, and I will have it once again when I lose weight.

Youth was not a factor that played on my side - I was one month shy of 19 when I had my first son. Nor did what I consider the overall condition of my skin (I still have no wrinkles at all at age 47, and in fact have oily, hence "lubricated" skin) end up swaying things in a better direction for my abdominal skin.

Everyone is different...but I can say that in clothes, nobody could ever tell. And naked, nobody ever complained. ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hello. I just have a question. I am rather short about 5 foot 2, and I have about 95 pounds to loose (a little less now) and I just wanted to ask others who are similar and have already lost about that much, how bad is the loose skin? I know every one is different and its hard to say because you can't really predict it till it happens. But I was just curious how many of you have, or haven't experienced loose skin after losing around 90-100 pounds?

this bit

other people's journeys are really irrelevant

I have none, with a few pounds to lose there's the start of a bit of papery skin over my lower abdomen and after 2 pregnancies I'm not really surprised but it's not visible, only on touch. Others with the same weight loss may have more and that doesn't really affect me personally