Sodium.. Why are we avoiding it?

Options
2»

Replies

• ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    What?! It has been lowered to 1500mg a day?! Just great.

Guess I need to change my goal level for it here though. I generally eat pretty well (with exception to today- so ready for TOM to be over) and will still find it a challenge to keep sodium to 1500 or below
  • kaddydaddy
    kaddydaddy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Unless you have heart problems, or dont drink alot of water, its not a big deal. People over react to it.

Too much of anything isn't good for you, and sodium is an issue because it's easy to really over-do it when there is so much of it in process foods. If someone eats mainly process foods, or eats at a chain restaurant, they can easily consume 4000+ mg a day!
  • bekmom57
    bekmom57 Posts: 16
    Options
    I read that people over 40 should only have 1500 mg of sodium. This was from a study done at the local university. If you have blood pressure problems limiting your sodium intake is a big deal.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Unless you have heart problems, or dont drink alot of water, its not a big deal. People over react to it.

Too much of anything isn't good for you, and sodium is an issue because it's easy to really over-do it when there is so much of it in process foods. If someone eats mainly process foods, or eats at a chain restaurant, they can easily consume 4000+ mg a day!

4000mg a day is pretty conservative if you eat a lot of restaurant food. I have seen single meals at restaurants that have 5000mg in them, and similarly in some frozen processed foods where there are 1000+mg in one serving where people would normally eat more than one. Sodium is way overused today, and while I missed it when I first cut back, I now find food tastes better without it. I actually get to taste the food and the spices I use, not just the salt.