Alcohol and weight loss

Options
Has anyone successfully been able to drink alcohol (a significant amount) on a splurge day once a week and not have it effect your weight loss?

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i drink on the weekends. factor it into your daily calories.
    or if it's a splurge day, don't.

easy peasy.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yeap. I go out a couple times a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yes...I regularly consumed alcohol on the weekends while I was losing. I still lost weight. I'm sure things would have moved along faster had I abstained, but that wasn't going to happen.

I'm on a cut right now and I don't drink during the week at all...but I will be having a good time on Saturday night and enjoying some craft beer. Again...I'm probably better off not doing that, but I'm sure the extra week or whatever it'll take me to hit my goal will be well worth it. I love craft beer and it takes everything that I have not to sit down with one every night...especially with all the winter brews coming out. Unfortunately a couple of those set me back around 400 calories so it's pretty hard to indulge on a regular basis.
  • phaia
    phaia Posts: 7
    Options
    I felt like drinking a glass or 2 of wine daily (even with keeping track of the calories) was contributing to very stubborn loss for me. I've stopped that, but we party every Friday, and I'd like to have just that one day still!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I did not have a jumbo margarita once a week at happy hour I was making progress with reducing my body fat. Since I started doing this my body fat rate went up from 23% to 25.6%. I've been going to happy hour almost every friday for over two years now and my fat reduction has been slow. The other day I checked an my BF is at 24.8%.

Personally I feel the alcohol has hindered my progress of reaching my goal which is 20%.
  • phaia
    phaia Posts: 7
    Options
    Encouraging to see it wasn't a big roadblock for you guys, I'll allow myself to indulge tomorrow! :D
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i drink 2 times per week still get results 4oz of liquor or beer 12-24 oz within those 2 days. i've losted 26 lbs so far .. everything in moderation is key a glass of wine should be fine
  • anna_jewel
    anna_jewel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have wine in moderation, it fits into my calories. I think it prob slows down my weight loss a little, but i think of this as a lifestyle change not a diet
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Drink all the alcohol, your body has no stores for it
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I drink I tend to like to drink more than I should calorie wise...I stick to red wine and whisky. I don't know how to answer your question because I never tried losing weight and NOT drinking...so I'll just say, I still lost weight.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I don't do 'splurge' days - I factor the alcohol into my daily calories.
  • kcowart130
    kcowart130 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm still losing weight, though slower than I probably would without. I do switch margaritas and things of that nature for light beers or plain liquor with diet soda to keep the sugar and extra calories down as much as possible.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yes do lots of exercise in the week so that you are running at a calorie deficit for the week and then the alcohol will bring it up to neutral.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is all that's required for weight loss; doesn't matter how you get there.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Your body will reach to burn the alcohol off first, which inhibits the body from burning fat. I tend to stay away from the high-calorie, lower alcohol percentage drinks like sugary mixed drinks and beer.The other problem most people have while drinking is not making good decisions and not being able to stay away from all the salty, high-fat foods that are usually present. I also noticed I feel so sluggish the next day after a night out and alcohol can impact your metabolism.
  • kcowart130
    kcowart130 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    The other problem most people have while drinking is not making good decisions and not being able to stay away from all the salty, high-fat foods that are usually present. I also noticed I feel so sluggish the next day after a night out and alcohol can impact your metabolism.
    Very true. If too much alcohol is involved I always revert to cheesy-greasy-everything-delicious that night and the next day.

• fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Cut out wine bar a special occasion as found I ate too much with it. Don't miss it. Had a glass last night for my birthday but ended up over my goal. Usually have a gin and slimline tonic instead now as don't nibble when drinking that. Don't generally drink Monday to Friday.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    yes as long as it fits in your calorie goal you can drink one drink a day or several drinks in one day if you skipped them for a few days.

29509743.png
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Caloric deficit is all that's required for weight loss; doesn't matter how you get there.

Flagged three times for this?! Oh, MFP, build the like button already!