Wheelchair user desperate to lose weight

So, I have a disease called Muscular Dystrophy that causes my muscles to weaken (very slowly) over time. Right now I'm in a chair full time, and can't do much exercise because I can't walk anymore and I also can't lift my arms over my head anymore.
Anyway, in the last couple of years since I've transitioned into a full-time wheelchair user, I've gained a lot of weight. And OF COURSE it's all in my *kitten* and thighs. I REALLY want to lose weight, but I'm not even sure if it's possible or how to go about it. If anyone has any advice, please let me know. I'm guessing most of the work will have to be through diet… but at this point I don't trust any food. I don't know what to eat because I don't know what will benefit weight loss and what will hold me back or make it worse. Thoughts? Thanks.

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    For a degenerative condition for you I would recommend Paleo, Autoimmune protocol. It limits any inflammatory foods and allows maximum healing. aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimmune-protocol-diet/Otherwise since you are limited motion, do whatever you can with WHAT you can...move your legs and arms all day as much as possible, there are also wheelchair workout videos (don't have links I haven'tneeded them in a while...) and be aware of your sedentary calorie needs now. I work with people in wheelchairs every day...its about maximizing what you CAN do.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Because of your medical condition, I think you should ask a doctor for advice about how to lose weight safely. There's a risk of loss of muscle tissue when losing weight, even for someone without a medical condition. I'm concerned that in your case loss of muscle tissue from dieting could make your condition worse. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know. But a doctor would know and it's best to be on the safe side with these things.