Dropped in pants sizes but not weight.... Why?

Options
I weighed 256 pounds and dropped down to 234 pounds in last 4 months, but this last month i haven't lost any pounds but dropped from a size 22 in pants to size 18 in pants to almost a size 16 in pants. Why and how can i lose weight number wise and get down to where i would like to be and still drop pant sizes?

Goal weight was 180 pounds by next christmas 2015

Replies

• LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That happened to me. Are you tracking your body measurements? I've come to rely more on those numbers than the numbers the scale show me. I've added circuit training to my cardio and am developing more muscle and that could be a reason why my scale is showing me I'm the same weight but my clothes are fitting better! Don't lose hope & you'll be sure to hit your goal! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and be patient. It will come.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? If so...............you are toning up/building muscle. Muscle takes up less room than fat..
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    lisab64mfp wrote: »
    Are you exercising? If so...............you are toning up/building muscle. Muscle takes up less room than fat..

With the exception of newbie gains, one does NOT build muscle in a deficit.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Sizes aren't consistent. I have pants in my closet that range between 14-20 that are all basically the same size. I also have pants in my closet that range between 14-20 that are certainly not the same size as each other. My 'comfy' size 14's are more similar to the size 18's in my closet than they are to my 'uncomfy' (i.e. small) size 14's.
    You can't even trust the sizing info from a single clothing manufacturer to be consistent. They can claim their size 16's are for people with x measurements, but one pair of size 16 pants they produce can vary greatly from another pair of size 16's.
    Go by inches to measure your changes, not sizes.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have been working out 6 days a week for the last couple of years and not lost an ounce in weight. However I have gone from a UK 14-16 to a comfortable 12-14 in the same stores, plus my shape has changed and now looks much less pear shaped and much more streamlined. My legs, arms and shoulders look much more toned and if I could only control my diet more then my torso would follow suit!!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    @Lourdesong--Many large clothing companies now subcontract to different factories. In addition, some lower-end companies will order items the manufacturer offers and have their labels sewn in, rather than ordering to their specifications. (I used to work in management at a discount department store.)

That is, of course, assuming that the items were made correctly in the first place. :p
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you're not already, take careful tape measurements. Typically, I take natural waist (above belly button at narrowest point), abdomen (right at belly button), hips, thighs, bicep, forearm, and calves. Pick some or all (or none, :wink: ) if you'd like. I do this once a month.

For me, I *always* see a measurement change before the pounds shift. Always. I'm a "whoosher"--meaning my weight typically stays more or less steady for a couple weeks, then "WHOOSH"--a pound or more drops off. Rinse and repeat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    3 flags..... we're following the leader, the leader the leader...
    n9fbhmkvyki5.jpg

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Why on earth did people flag the above post??? :s I feel sorry for the poor admin of this site who have to wade through all this. What a gargantuan waste of time!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    3 flags..... we're following the leader, the leader the leader...
    n9fbhmkvyki5.jpg

How dare you give sound, rational advice. I'M FLAGGING YOU!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Tubby1011 wrote: »
    I weighed 256 pounds and dropped down to 234 pounds in last 4 months, but this last month i haven't lost any pounds but dropped from a size 22 in pants to size 18 in pants to almost a size 16 in pants. Why and how can i lose weight number wise and get down to where i would like to be and still drop pant sizes?

Goal weight was 180 pounds by next christmas 2015

Congradulations! This seems to be the way weight loss goes. The info about weight set points is new to me and the link above has end notes to the science behind the concept if one wants more info or to refute his points.

thesmarterscienceofslim.com/your-set-point-weight/

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    lisab64mfp wrote: »

With the exception of newbie gains, one does NOT build muscle in a deficit.

And even newbie gains aren't enough to cause this in a woman. We just don't have the ability to make muscle that fast while in a deficit.
  • Tubby1011
    Options
    I was walking 10,000 steps a day, plus doing wii fit, and some zumba twice a week.
    Other than that I cut out Junk food and pop, and started cooking most of my meals.
  • Tubby1011
    Options
    I also only buy the same brand of pants, Apt 9 from kohls.
  • Tubby1011
    Options
    ^ due to fact that they are only pants that dont give me a rash (allergic to cobalt in blue jeans)
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with this. I've lost crazy amounts of inches in the past 2 months, but only lost 1 lb. I'm doing Body Revolution and eating around 1700 calories a day (well...except for around Christmas it was around 2000 for a few days) I figure I'm getting smaller, so something is right. But I would like to see me go below 200 lbs sometime this century. <_<
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    I'm dealing with this. I've lost crazy amounts of inches in the past 2 months, but only lost 1 lb. I'm doing Body Revolution and eating around 1700 calories a day (well...except for around Christmas it was around 2000 for a few days) I figure I'm getting smaller, so something is right. But I would like to see me go below 200 lbs sometime this century. <_<

Much rather lose inches than pounds!
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yeah I keep telling myself that and remind myself that this is a good thing. But its just one of those, "but I'm still over 200" things.
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You are turning your body fat into lean muscle. Concentrate more on the way you look and feel than on the scale. :)