Christmas IS coming!!

Options
pietomb00
pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
So Christmas is coming, I know we're only half way through November, but this is going to be the first year we're hosting Christmas dinner and December's going to be busy enough, so was just wondering:
Does anyone have recipes for the bits of the Christmas dinner that I can prepare before hand and store/freeze? (or know of a good website for them)

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I saw a post from Alton Brown the other day saying that you can peel and dice potatoes up to 3 days in advance, keeping them covered in cold water in the fridge prevents them turning brown/going bad. It's not 100% preparing in advance as you'd still have to cook them but it's at least a step that direction.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As you say you can do that with spuds and pretty much any veg, gets the peeling and the mess out of the way.
    I know also that some ovens have times on, so you can prep any meat the night before and leave it in the oven to set it to start cooking for you the next day. (I personally don't have this function)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You can always do soup in advance - in fact, it's even better the next few days UNLESS there is pasta in it. Then just cook the pasta separately and add later. You can do any casserole dish in advance and pop it in the oven later. You can do a lot of hor deauvres in advance, too. I guess the best way to answer this is to ask first - what do you usually have?
  • pietomb00
    pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oo doing veg in advance is a good idea, especially the peeling of the potatoes as that's my least favorite, most time consuming bit.
    I do have an oven that can be set to come on....I think, will look into that.
    Hmm soup, hadn't planned on doing any :stuck_out_tongue:

Will be doing something for a starter, don't know what, so soup could be a good shout!
    Then turkey with all the trimmings, so veg, stuffing, pigs in blankets ect. Although do need a vegetarian option :neutral_face:
    And a couple of puddings, ideas on a good pudding that isn't Christmas pudding would be great?