5'5" @ 163 lbs, been logging for 37 days, only 1.5 lbs lost!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Options
I have been logging into myfitnesspal for 37 days now and have had very minimal weight loss. I have been trying to stay within a 1400 calorie per day intake and I have been exercising 3-4 times per week for 30-40 minutes per day. I recently purchased a fitbit to make sure my calories burned is accurate.

I have cut out most processed foods, caffeine, milk and sugar from my diet. I no longer drink soda and I hardly drink juice. I feel that I have been pretty accurate with my calorie reporting. I use the scanner whenever possible, I import recipes from the internet, I log all veggies, all small bites that add up, everything, I am a little neurotic.

I know I have not been perfect but this yoyo weight loss of 5 lbs up and down is getting old. I have had some red wine and have gone over calorie intake a few times but compared to what I was eating prior to 37 days ago I must be cutting at least 1000 calories from my diet daily!

Does it really take your body 1-3 months to realize that it should be losing weight??? Or am I just not being as good as I think I am? My profile is public. Any feedback from people with similar issues or knowledge is appreciated. I am feeling frustrated but am not ready to give up. I have been measuring myself as well and there does seem to be 1/2" gone here and there although I feel like that fluctuates a little also. I am planning on doing my 2 month measurements right before thanksgiving, hopefully I will see at least an inch gone from my waist or thigh, or both....!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eating better is great but none of those things help if you are not eating at a deficit.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    well you aren't being accurate enough, if you were eating an actual 1400 cals you would have dropped a lot more weight, buy a digital food scale and measure every single thing you consume, that's the only way to be sure.
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    I would encourage you to take a look at this..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101#latest

It gives a lot of really helpful information.

Also, I really like my fitbit. I think it's really helped me understand how inactive I am at work and how few calories I burn if I don't do some sort of activity (even if it's walking) every day. What you're going through can be very frustrating!

And just a heads up, your profile isn't public!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You should actually be eating between 2000, and 2100 calories per day at maintanence, so knock just a couple hundred off of there, and you're talking about 1600-1800 calories per day for sustainble weightloss.

If you were truly eating 1400 calories per day, you'd be losing more weight, and would likely be extremely lethargic considering 1400 is under even your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate).

You're eating more calories than you believe. You should be using a food scale, and the grams measurements on the nutrition label rather than the cup measurements. 1.5 pounds in 5 weeks is still at a deficit, so you're at least doing something right. But .3lb/wk might be a little too slow, so the deficit isn't quite enough.

I wouldn't push it too hard though, you're still going to be looking at between 0.5 - 1lb/wk to do this in a healthy way, and not just randomly blackout while walking down the sidewalk because you're starving yourself.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, if you aren't losing weight you aren't in a deficit. And when you under take a new exercise regime you will normally initially gain water & glycogen weight. Give it time, normally 6wks before changes show. Take 4wks progress pics & measurements... Says the woman who has yo-yo'd for around 7wks herself. Bottom line it's cals in vs cals out. You need to be in a deficit to lose weight. Simple as - good luck OP.
  • MichelleMaryCas
    Options
    I would encourage you to take a look at this..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101#latest

It gives a lot of really helpful information.

Also, I really like my fitbit. I think it's really helped me understand how inactive I am at work and how few calories I burn if I don't do some sort of activity (even if it's walking) every day. What you're going through can be very frustrating!

And just a heads up, your profile isn't public!

This is a really helpful article, thank you. I am not sure about my profile status, it says its public to all myfitnesspal members....I will check it out again. I am really enjoying my fitbit also, it does make you realize just how bad working behind a desk is...! :( I guess I must not be counting calories accurately but I still fell that I am eating significantly less calories than I had previously been. I think I will invest in the food scale next.
  • MichelleMaryCas
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, if you aren't losing weight you aren't in a deficit. And when you under take a new exercise regime you will normally initially gain water & glycogen weight. Give it time, normally 6wks before changes show. Take 4wks progress pics & measurements... Says the woman who has yo-yo'd for around 7wks herself. Bottom line it's cals in vs cals out. You need to be in a deficit to lose weight. Simple as - good luck OP.

Thanks! You are very positive and nice!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You should actually be eating between 2000, and 2100 calories per day at maintanence, so knock just a couple hundred off of there, and you're talking about 1600-1800 calories per day for sustainble weightloss.

If you were truly eating 1400 calories per day, you'd be losing more weight, and would likely be extremely lethargic considering 1400 is under even your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate).

Without knowing her current height/weight/activity level (and I apologize if I've missed this), I'm not sure its fair to make an assessment of what her calories should be. I eat at 1400 calories/day, plus any fitbit adjustment/exercise, consistently since May, and I've never once felt lethargic. Well okay, maybe the morning after a few glasses of wine, but thats not my calorie intake.

It really comes down to accurate logging. Without it, its hard to tell. There are days I feel like I eat like a cow, and stay within. Other days I feel like I made great choices, but they add up.

A fitbit is great. I use one too.

If you can open your diary, it will be easier to give help.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is not totally accurate. Don't take the calorie burned according to Fitbit as gospel. There are inaccuracies in all the pedometers so you shouldn't be eating all of those calories back either. Keeping an eye on the Fitbit is great to gauge how active or inactive you are, but don't eat all those extra calories thinking that it is on top of the MFP calories. Calculate your BMR and TDEE and go from there. Don't eat below your BMR and DEFINITELY don't eat above your TDEE. Don't be in a huge hurry to lose weight either because that will lead to yoyo dieting which doesn't ever work.

Another suggestion is weight training and looking at eating enough protein. The fitbit won't take into account weight training very accurately, but it really is necessary to keep what muscle you have in order to keep losing weight at a consistent pace.
  • MichelleMaryCas
    Options

Did you start losing weight after your 7 weeks of yoyo weight??
  • MichelleMaryCas
    Options

I dont burn enough calories in a day to intake that much and still be at a deficit...therefore it would not work, right?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Without knowing her current height/weight/activity level (and I apologize if I've missed this), I'm not sure its fair to make an assessment of what her calories should be. I eat at 1400 calories/day, plus any fitbit adjustment/exercise, consistently since May, and I've never once felt lethargic. Well okay, maybe the morning after a few glasses of wine, but thats not my calorie intake.

It really comes down to accurate logging. Without it, its hard to tell. There are days I feel like I eat like a cow, and stay within. Other days I feel like I made great choices, but they add up.

This.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its 95% you are eating more than you think so the end result is closer to maintenance.
    Are you eating any of the exercise calories back? Dont give yp you just need a bit of fine tuning and to get control of your deficit.

ps your diary isnt public.
  • notyalc66
    notyalc66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    do your clothes feel looser? If you have been exercising, you may have lost some fat but added muscle tissue.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    im 5 ft 5 and struggled in beginning the first step is to find a number of calories where you are eating enough but also with a comfy deficit I would start at 1600, I weigh less than you and I lose at around 1400-1600 calories
  • MichelleMaryCas
    Options
    I have been logging into myfitnesspal for 37 days now and have had very minimal weight loss. I have been trying to stay within a 1400 calorie per day intake and I have been exercising 3-4 times per week for 30-40 minutes per day. I recently purchased a fitbit to make sure my calories burned is accurate.

I have cut out most processed foods, caffeine, milk and sugar from my diet. I no longer drink soda and I hardly drink juice. I feel that I have been pretty accurate with my calorie reporting. I use the scanner whenever possible, I import recipes from the internet, I log all veggies, all small bites that add up, everything, I am a little neurotic.

I know I have not been perfect but this yoyo weight loss of 5 lbs up and down is getting old. I have had some red wine and have gone over calorie intake a few times but compared to what I was eating prior to 37 days ago I must be cutting at least 1000 calories from my diet daily!

Does it really take your body 1-3 months to realize that it should be losing weight??? Or am I just not being as good as I think I am? My profile is public. Any feedback from people with similar issues or knowledge is appreciated. I am feeling frustrated but am not ready to give up. I have been measuring myself as well and there does seem to be 1/2" gone here and there although I feel like that fluctuates a little also. I am planning on doing my 2 month measurements right before thanksgiving, hopefully I will see at least an inch gone from my waist or thigh, or both....!

EDIT - I have now unlocked my diary.
  • MichelleMaryCas
    Options
    notyalc66 wrote: »
    do your clothes feel looser?

Sometimes..
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

It's right in the title. 5'5" 163, and then the original post is "almost 30."

Either way, it comes down to if you're not losing weight as quickly as you believe you should be, you're eating too close to your maintenance.
  • killoranc
    Options
    Hi, I took a look at your log and if that was my food consumption I would say it is the amount of sodium you are taking in. I bet if you increase your water and add some potassium while lowering your sodium you will see the scale drop quickly. You are probably losing fat but retaining water. Good luck.

Kitty
  • Adrienne_bone
    Options
    I've been logging my food for over 100 days and working out consistently for seven weeks (running) and I have not lost anything. It is really frustrating so I understand your feelings. I think every body is different. Just keep doing what you're doing. Sorry!