From Carbs Junkie to Protein Goddess

Options

Replies

• sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I switched to reduced carb and high protein a month ago and started tracking on MFP. Please feel free to add me. So far my favorite recipes are for protein pancakes and low carb cheesy muffins. I am looking for other low carb friends to share meal ideas with.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I suggest learning to love some high protein food! My favorite thing lately is turkey breast (not the whole giant turkey). You can buy 7-8 lbs of turkey for ~$10. Roast that baby and have easy protein all week. If ya love carbs, throw the turkey on some bread then! Open faced sandwiches only use 1 slice of bread and a modest amount of meat/cheese/mayo so it doesn't collapse. I personally like to have herb-roasted turkey and a sweet potato with a little cinnamon and brown sugar. It's like healthy thanksgiving.

Yogurt is a good one if you like that, personally I love it, but don't find it very filling. What you can do is mix up some yogurt and jam and put it on your toast for a protein boost, plus you get some fiber from the toast, and less sugar from the jam since you use less.

Frozen salmon fillets are great, about $7 for a 2lb bag. 1 fillet has 26 protein and only 110 calories. It's easy and quick to make, just throw in the pan, season it, cover it up when it's half cooked, cook for a few more minutes and you're done.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Here's how I get protein:
    - Protein powder: You can find all kinds of smoothie recipes online. I find most include too much fruit, but I'm on a low-carb diet, not just cutting back. I mix my protein powder with plain yogurt and frozen berries.
    - Bacon and eggs. I find this doesn't really need anything else. If you're trying to get more vegetables, you can mix them in with the eggs to make a veggie scramble, or add them to the eggs like an omelet. I also enjoy spaghetti squash omelets: you just mix the egg with the spaghetti squash (half a squash with 4 eggs) and make omelets out of the mixture. Like any omelet, you can add other stuff to it (I add bacon to mine).
    - Big Salad. This is probably what I eat the most. I mix 2 cups of salad greens, with about a cup of whatever other vegetables I have and add some meat to it. Chicken, beef, pork, fish, tuna, whatever you got.
    - Hamburger salad. This is how I survive restaurants. I order a hamburger with a side salad. Then I remove the bun, cut up the hamburger and fixen's, and add them to the salad. Would work just as well with a chicken sandwich, etc.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options
    I'm also trying to eat more protein. Don't have much to add, but this is an awesome thread. ;)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Protein bars like the optimum nutrition ones can be a good way. 20g of protein in about 180 calories is very good density. High protein greek yoghurt is also a good source. About the best thing for protein density though is simply lean grilled chicken.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'd say you could follow me but I hate cooking and have the dumbest meals.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    One more thing for folks trying to "de-carb": Don't forget the fat, and don't skimp on vegetables. You can replace most high-carb foods (like bread and pasta) with vegetables.

Determine how many carbs and how much protein to eat each day, the rest of your calories should be fat. Don't just replace all your carbs with protein, you need fat too.
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    sing809 wrote: »
    I switched to reduced carb and high protein a month ago and started tracking on MFP. Please feel free to add me. So far my favorite recipes are for protein pancakes and low carb cheesy muffins. I am looking for other low carb friends to share meal ideas with.

Thank you FR sent x
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    laciemn wrote: »
    I suggest learning to love some high protein food! My favorite thing lately is turkey breast (not the whole giant turkey). You can buy 7-8 lbs of turkey for ~$10. Roast that baby and have easy protein all week. If ya love carbs, throw the turkey on some bread then! Open faced sandwiches only use 1 slice of bread and a modest amount of meat/cheese/mayo so it doesn't collapse. I personally like to have herb-roasted turkey and a sweet potato with a little cinnamon and brown sugar. It's like healthy thanksgiving.

Yogurt is a good one if you like that, personally I love it, but don't find it very filling. What you can do is mix up some yogurt and jam and put it on your toast for a protein boost, plus you get some fiber from the toast, and less sugar from the jam since you use less.

Frozen salmon fillets are great, about $7 for a 2lb bag. 1 fillet has 26 protein and only 110 calories. It's easy and quick to make, just throw in the pan, season it, cover it up when it's half cooked, cook for a few more minutes and you're done.

Thank you for your reply :smiley:
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    RHachicho wrote: »
    Protein bars like the optimum nutrition ones can be a good way. 20g of protein in about 180 calories is very good density. High protein greek yoghurt is also a good source. About the best thing for protein density though is simply lean grilled chicken.

Thank you I have tried a few protein bars and did not like them - love chicken will look out fro High Protein Greek Yoghurt thanks :smiley:
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'd say you could follow me but I hate cooking and have the dumbest meals.

Dumb is good dumb is simple FR sent so I can stalk lol :smiley:
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Feel free to have a nose at my diary - I'm seeing a personal trainer at the moment who has put me on a high protein/high vegetable/low carb plan.
    I was a happy carb junkie and pre-trainer, would barely scrape 10% protein in my daily diet...it would always feel like too much effort! Plus I'd use distance running as an excuse to eat lots and lots of lovely lovely pasta (drifts off to happy place...).
    However, generally speaking I do feel better for going high protein (and high fat) - I no longer get the 3pm energy slump and I have fewer issues with hangriness! (Husband no longer needs to throw food at me then leave the room in a serpentine fashion). Not tried distance running (more than 3miles) yet, as my next race is in April...We'll see how that goes!
    I should also mention that I need to be REALLY organised with this diet and often use a spare half hour for batch cooking stuff to go in the freezer, so I can have spare lunches in case of busy weeks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, I'm eating at maintenance though... but typically a lot of meat and Greek yogurt.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I stick to a 7 protein to 15 carb ratio a day. My diary is open and I'm always trying new things.
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I aim for 150grams of protein a day. This site is great resource. You can meal plan based on the macros you set, and if you don't like particular things you can exclude them so they don't show up again. I get my protein mainly from: chicken, salmon, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. I like beef too, but I know you don't, so exclude that from your search results. Hopefully you will find this useful, there are a lot of good recipes in here. I've linked directly to the meal planning part: http://www.rippedrecipes.com/meal-planner.html
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    Saree1902 wrote: »
    Feel free to have a nose at my diary - I'm seeing a personal trainer at the moment who has put me on a high protein/high vegetable/low carb plan.
    I was a happy carb junkie and pre-trainer, would barely scrape 10% protein in my daily diet...it would always feel like too much effort! Plus I'd use distance running as an excuse to eat lots and lots of lovely lovely pasta (drifts off to happy place...).
    However, generally speaking I do feel better for going high protein (and high fat) - I no longer get the 3pm energy slump and I have fewer issues with hangriness! (Husband no longer needs to throw food at me then leave the room in a serpentine fashion). Not tried distance running (more than 3miles) yet, as my next race is in April...We'll see how that goes!
    I should also mention that I need to be REALLY organised with this diet and often use a spare half hour for batch cooking stuff to go in the freezer, so I can have spare lunches in case of busy weeks.

Thank you Saree1902 will have a nose :smiley:
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    kfbetts wrote: »
    I aim for 150grams of protein a day. This site is great resource. You can meal plan based on the macros you set, and if you don't like particular things you can exclude them so they don't show up again. I get my protein mainly from: chicken, salmon, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. I like beef too, but I know you don't, so exclude that from your search results. Hopefully you will find this useful, there are a lot of good recipes in here. I've linked directly to the meal planning part: http://www.rippedrecipes.com/meal-planner.html

Thank you for the link I will have a look :smiley::smiley:
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    I stick to a 7 protein to 15 carb ratio a day. My diary is open and I'm always trying new things.

Thank you FR sent :smiley:
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I generally get 100g+ protein a day, I aim for around 128g and as long as I'm focused I surpass it, cheat days are another story lol. Feel free to send a FR and peek around. Any recipe questions let me know i have no problem sharing
  • grapefruitannie
    Options
    I generally get 100g+ protein a day, I aim for around 128g and as long as I'm focused I surpass it, cheat days are another story lol. Feel free to send a FR and peek around. Any recipe questions let me know i have no problem sharing

Thanks Hunny FR on way xx