Carb addicts?

Options

Replies

• Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a carbaholic too, but for me they don't trigger binges. Actually, I feel like binging when I reduce my carbs because then I start to crave them. So, I eat as many as I want throughout the day (my ratio has been about 50/35/15, or about 200g of carbs). If they trigger binges for you, I'd try reducing your intake of them and stick to only unprocessed, whole grain, fruits/veggies, etc. Experiment with it, see how you feel when you stop eating them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    corinic91 wrote: »
    I used to be like this too. I love baking and make my own bread, muffins etc. My issue was with starches not "carbs" which are in fruits and vegetables (and nuts and seeds and beans and lentils..). It was very hard to stop at just one slice of bread.

I took a different mindset. I started to focus on getting enough protein, fat and fiber first and still staying within my calorie limit. The starches just got kicked out naturally, and I don't have those cravings any more, and still enjoy my homemade baking.

Good distinction. It's definitely starchy foods that wake up the binge monster :laugh: Thanks!
    I agree with that as well. Processed carbs or starches trigger binges in a lot of people. Sticking with natural carbs like fruit, potatoes, or sweet potatoes (lower in carbs and more vitamin rich), you're more likely to feel satisfied and stay in control.

Good thing potatoes are starch free
    Processed starches. Are whole potatoes processed? No.

How does it get out of the ground? Perhaps a processing?

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that it's all about experimenting. When I first started trying to lose, I cut my carbs down to 120g per day, from a prior weekly average of about 300g per day (!). [I was so flabbergasted when I did my averages--former vegetarian who loves pasta and sweets here!] I honestly just felt sad and depressed and low energy--did that for a couple of weeks and then bumped up my workouts and carbs both, to try to keep my weight loss on target. That has worked amazingly well--I'm now eating about 140-150 g of carbs per day and feeling very satisfied. I also find that pre-logging my day helps a TON to cut down on the urge to just stuff bread into my face. As does not having bread around, lol.

Also, I went on vacation this past weekend and tried to moderate my carb intake at least a little bit, without totally making myself unable to participate in activities with friends (e.g. cocktails, macarons, BBQ...). I would guess that I probably ate around 200g of carbs each day, maybe even more. The week after, I ended up with my biggest loss since my very first week of tracking! So based on this one anecdote, I'm willing to accept that there might be something to this whole carb-cycling thing, haha.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    first....take everything you hear and read about what is the best eating plan or "diet" with a big grain of salt. our bodies are amazing and can take just about everything we throw into them (twinkie iet, grapefruit diet, etc)
    second- experiment with different macro ratios and limiting "trigger" foods. Eventually you will find a balance that works. it does take patience and time and maybe even a slight weight gain but there are no hard and fast rules as to what is best for YOU. Make it interesting by tracking everything, journal about your reactions (energy...sleep...satiety, etc) Make it fun...live and learn

I agree about keeping a journal about everything. During my first three weeks of dieting (this time) I kept track of every time I was hungry or had a craving. I noticed a pattern, and realized I needed to reduce sugar and increase protein in order to stave off hunger and cravings. My diet choices became more about managing cravings than losing weight, because ultimately, I've got to master the cravings in order to have a good life.

I don't really have an issue with cravings, but I completely agree with this advice. When I started I also kept a journal and detailed when I was struggling, when I made good choices and not, etc., and it really helped me understand what worked and what didn't and why I was overeating. I figured out how to eat to be satiated on less and also in a way that just seemed to smooth me out (which is going to differ from person to person), and also was able to work on my bigger issue, which is emotional cues for eating.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I used to be like this too. I love baking and make my own bread, muffins etc. My issue was with starches not "carbs" which are in fruits and vegetables (and nuts and seeds and beans and lentils..). It was very hard to stop at just one slice of bread.

I took a different mindset. I started to focus on getting enough protein, fat and fiber first and still staying within my calorie limit. The starches just got kicked out naturally, and I don't have those cravings any more, and still enjoy my homemade baking.

Good distinction. It's definitely starchy foods that wake up the binge monster :laugh: Thanks!
    I agree with that as well. Processed carbs or starches trigger binges in a lot of people. Sticking with natural carbs like fruit, potatoes, or sweet potatoes (lower in carbs and more vitamin rich), you're more likely to feel satisfied and stay in control.

It wasn't clear you meant "processed starches." In that starches ARE carbs, I read it as (1) processed carbs, and (2) starches also. I think that's the most natural reading.

Beyond that, I highly doubt that the processing is why people can't stop eating things like chips (which I actually don't much like) or French fries (which I love). For example, take fries. I can make them at home (I don't, but I could). If so, they would be about the same level of "processed" as the roasted red potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes I have all the time. My guess is I'd be more tempted to overeat the fries (although I really love the roasted potatoes). Similarly, it's not terribly hard to overeat garlic mashed potatoes with butter on them (ideally alongside some steak). Is this because they are "processed"? No, I suspect it's because of the added fat in all of these cases. It creates that extremely palatable combination.

Similarly, I personally don't overeat bread. (I find it hard to understand how people overeat plain bread, pasta, or rice, other than just through mindless eating 'cause it's there, though they obviously do.) What I do overeat is naan. Especially naan that I can dip in some curry. Again, I'm pretty sure it's the fat/carb combination.

I am NOT saying that why I overeat is the reason everyone overeats. I believe what Kalikel and others said about finding that some carbs provoke cravings or feelings of hunger. What I disagree with is that this means carbs or "processed foods" are addictive, and that this explains most overeating.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    hiswaywardgirl Posts: 42
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It wasn't clear you meant "processed starches." In that starches ARE carbs, I read it as (1) processed carbs, and (2) starches also. I think that's the most natural reading.

Beyond that, I highly doubt that the processing is why people can't stop eating things like chips (which I actually don't much like) or French fries (which I love). For example, take fries. I can make them at home (I don't, but I could). If so, they would be about the same level of "processed" as the roasted red potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes I have all the time. My guess is I'd be more tempted to overeat the fries (although I really love the roasted potatoes). Similarly, it's not terribly hard to overeat garlic mashed potatoes with butter on them (ideally alongside some steak). Is this because they are "processed"? No, I suspect it's because of the added fat in all of these cases. It creates that extremely palatable combination.

Similarly, I personally don't overeat bread. (I find it hard to understand how people overeat plain bread, pasta, or rice, other than just through mindless eating 'cause it's there, though they obviously do.) What I do overeat is naan. Especially naan that I can dip in some curry. Again, I'm pretty sure it's the fat/carb combination.

I am NOT saying that why I overeat is the reason everyone overeats. I believe what Kalikel and others said about finding that some carbs provoke cravings or feelings of hunger. What I disagree with is that this means carbs or "processed foods" are addictive, and that this explains most overeating.
    I can see how the way I wrote it was confusing. I agree that fats and carbs/sugars together are highly palatable. It IS easy to overeat potatoes, whether that's because they are carb-heavy or because of the fat/carb combination (probably both). And no, I don't think any of the foods you mentioned are highly processed -- except for naan, which is made of flour, a highly processed grain.

I think the word "addiction" is needlessly fueling a debate. Regardless of the terminology, I think it's clear with the amount of people complaining about overeating processed foods (even you said that naan is harder to stay away from than less-processed potatoes) shows there is something *different* about the foods we crave. They are harder to resist. Most of us crave the same things. Maybe avoiding those foods -- and yes, having self-control -- wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am very limited in my diet for YES, Medical reasons, like everyone likes to throw around here. I can just as easily binge on potato products as gluten free bread, or any other potato chip, rice chip, tortilla chip, french fry, etc. For some of us it is just CARBS. Simple. IDK why those that DON'T have those problems feel the need to chime in on it really. I am not over in the low fat threads telling people they must be wrong..."Do unto others" folks!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I lose a bit of control around the "good tasting" carbs, as in things like honey buns, donuts, cinnamon rolls etc. That's my fault, not the carbs fault, and I spent the first 29 years of my life binge eating them until I blimped to 410 lbs.. >_<

What has worked for me so far is setting my macros to 30C/30F/40P. I use the TDEE method, eat 2000 cals a day and my carb intake is set at 150. In the beginning I had to really limit myself..I got my carbs from starchy vegetables mostly and every once in awhile a donut or pasta. The key for me was working on my state of mind about food, all while limiting the cravings by limiting the intake of them. After I felt like I had really revamped my thinking I re-introduced things that I loved and will -never- give up. (Had porkchops with a side of donuts for dinner tonight). It's a long process, but I figure I spent three decades in a bad relationship with food..for all I know it'll take three more decades to fix that. But I definitely got a good head start by finding what works for me, experimenting with my macros, and slowly building up my self control. 87 lbs down since January, three 5k's ran so far, and a buttload of self esteem and discipline I never thought I had in me. Good luck and keep on keepin' on. :)

68456049.png
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I can see how the way I wrote it was confusing. I agree that fats and carbs/sugars together are highly palatable. It IS easy to overeat potatoes, whether that's because they are carb-heavy or because of the fat/carb combination (probably both). And no, I don't think any of the foods you mentioned are highly processed -- except for naan, which is made of flour, a highly processed grain.

I think the word "addiction" is needlessly fueling a debate. Regardless of the terminology, I think it's clear with the amount of people complaining about overeating processed foods (even you said that naan is harder to stay away from than less-processed potatoes) shows there is something *different* about the foods we crave. They are harder to resist. Most of us crave the same things. Maybe avoiding those foods -- and yes, having self-control -- wouldn't be a bad idea.

Agree that addiction is a bad word to use and that it derails what could be a more productive discussion, but you seem to have misread my post. My comment about naan was in comparison with bread, pasta, and rice in general. In that the latter (all processed, two of the three involving flour, we can even specify white) are not stuff I struggle with overeating, I'm not sure why you think this supports the processed theory. It's that the naan has some fat and is typically dipped in curry (more fat). It's like people want so much for it to be processed food they ignore everything else.

Also, this ideas that the broad category of processed food can be generalized about is bizarre.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have to pick my carbs carefully, or the same thing happens. Oatmeal, potatoes, rice are fine. I only have whole grain pasta and it's fine too (but I have more than one serving, typically 1.5). Bread, not so much.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

Yes. Addiction IS a bad word to use. But to the person who struggles with keeping their hands off those foods, it seems like an addiction to them. I binged chocolate and Doritos and chips like mad. Hid my binges, did them in secret and tried to hide the evidence of the food I'd just annihilated. I was ashamed, and I wanted to stop it, but I craved the stuff so bad, to the point of anxiety and anger if I did not have it. I would plan to stop by a store while out and get more and not tell my hubs, using my spare cash to get it so it wouldn't show up on the debit card. My kids' candy wasn't safe so my husband hid it in the basement. Pretty pathetic.

What it IS for sure is an unhealthy relationship with certain foods that you need to heal. I had a hard time with starchy carbs and high fructose corn syrup and white sugar. So we broke up. I haven't touched them once in 5 months. Am I never having them again? Maybe not or maybe I will. I can prepare them for others now without touching them. I don't want them much any more. I told myself the binges had to stop, stayed away from the trigger foods, refused to emotionally eat, and I made it happen. People have to want it bad enough to sacrifice. Is it easy? No. But you do have the power within yourself. Just make it happen.

No one else can do it for you. Make limits for yourself and stick to them. Make that choice every meal or snack. You put food in your mouth with your own hand. This sounds heartless, but it's the only way. You screw up? Well, own it and get right back to business.

As far as processed food goes...
    If you look at it like I do, just about everything is processed, messed with or handled in some way, one way or another. It would be better to distinguish between whole foods and prepackaged foods or factory generated foods, if you want to get involved in semantics. Or just friggin' eat healthy FOR YOU and ignore everyone else.

I don't care how other people eat. It's not all about me. I do me; you do you, whatever that is. Judge someone's eating choices? I ain't got time fo' that. I have my hands full dealing with my own.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    IFor some of us it is just CARBS. Simple. IDK why those that DON'T have those problems feel the need to chime in on it really. I am not over in the low fat threads telling people they must be wrong..."Do unto others" folks!

I don't think anyone here does low fat, but the reason the rest of us are here, probably, is because we thought we could helpfully address the OP's question. In that the OP clarified that he/she does not have an issue with carbs in general, but specific trigger foods, I'm not sure why you think you are uniquely entitled to be here.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Yes. Addiction IS a bad word to use. But to the person who struggles with keeping their hands off those foods, it seems like an addiction to them.

Yeah, I think using the term "addiction" isn't helpful or accurate for lots of reasons, but I do think that if people feel out of control (the trigger food idea) or struggle with binging (and bad as I was I'm grateful my issue was just overeating, not binging) that lots of times some of the same strategies that apply to addiction can apply here. One of those might be not eating the food (at least for a time) and not having it in the house, but there are lots of others too, that focus on the reasons one is particularly susceptible at particular times (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) or the way the mind makes connections so that you expect to eat whatever at particular times or in particular states of mind, for habitual reasons.

I also think stuff like emotional eating and secret eating are related and as with addictive behavior being mindful and owning it by being honest and open about it can really help. Getting past the cycle of shame and indulging to forget the shame for a time.
    No one else can do it for you. Make limits for yourself and stick to them. Make that choice every meal or snack. You put food in your mouth with your own hand. This sounds heartless, but it's the only way. You screw up? Well, own it and get right back to business.

Yep, good advice. Whatever you call it, that's what you have to do.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options

Agree that addiction is a bad word to use and that it derails what could be a more productive discussion, but you seem to have misread my post. My comment about naan was in comparison with bread, pasta, and rice in general. In that the latter (all processed, two of the three involving flour, we can even specify white) are not stuff I struggle with overeating, I'm not sure why you think this supports the processed theory. It's that the naan has some fat and is typically dipped in curry (more fat). It's like people want so much for it to be processed food they ignore everything else.

Also, this ideas that the broad category of processed food can be generalized about is bizarre.
    Then I did misread your post.

I don't see why the word "processed" is bizarre. Food in its whole form like fruit, vegetables, and meat do not go through nearly as much processing as say, a Lean Cuisine frozen meal or a slice of bread. It's a simple concept and it is well established that eating a diet of whole, unprocessed foods is inherently good for you. Whatever terminology you want to use, that is a basic nutritional fact.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options
    Yes. Addiction IS a bad word to use. But to the person who struggles with keeping their hands off those foods, it seems like an addiction to them.
    This is along the lines of what I've been through and why I would say sugar and carb-rich foods are "addicting." It is difficult for some of us to stop eating them.

Here's my experience. I used to be a carb-loving vegetarian who rarely ate fat or protein. I was always hungry and snacking on carbs, because I didn't pay attention to macronutrients -- I just didn't want to eat meat. I would feel hungry, irritable, and tired if I didn't eat every couple of hours. I remember being at a work meeting and feeling terrible... just completely exhausted and unable to focus at all. Someone had brought donuts, so I ate one, and immediately felt "alive" again, able to look around, pay attention, and listen to what was going on. I had sugar and carb binges every day after work because the sugar made me feel better. I just felt *terrible* without it.

Then I started eating meat again -- and consciously made huge increases in my fat & protein intake -- and all the insane urges to binge on sugar & carbs went away. So I do think carbs are the devil. Not everyone has felt "out of control" with those foods, but this is where I'm coming from.

Everyone has different experiences. If you haven't been there, it's probably difficult to understand. I don't get the fat/carb combination thing, and I would actually prefer to eat fats with carbs for health reasons because it leaves your blood sugar more stable than carbs alone. I am only continuing to post because I think it's unfair to look down on a diet of traditionally healthy foods (for the life of me I don't get why preferring less-processed food is something to argue about) and limiting carbs/sugar.
  • FitFunLosAngeles
    FitFunLosAngeles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think your carb issues may actually be a simple carb issue -- simple carbs that shoot up your blood sugar levels quickly like potato chips and bread. Try replacing with complex carbs. it may not induce the carb death spiral!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

Yeah, I think using the term "addiction" isn't helpful or accurate for lots of reasons, but I do think that if people feel out of control (the trigger food idea) or struggle with binging (and bad as I was I'm grateful my issue was just overeating, not binging) that lots of times some of the same strategies that apply to addiction can apply here. One of those might be not eating the food (at least for a time) and not having it in the house, but there are lots of others too, that focus on the reasons one is particularly susceptible at particular times (hungry, angry, lonely, tired) or the way the mind makes connections so that you expect to eat whatever at particular times or in particular states of mind, for habitual reasons.

I also think stuff like emotional eating and secret eating are related and as with addictive behavior being mindful and owning it by being honest and open about it can really help. Getting past the cycle of shame and indulging to forget the shame for a time.

Yep, good advice. Whatever you call it, that's what you have to do.

Right. Not eating any is what works for me. As well as dogged determination that I developed after seeing my mother hospitalized for months because of diabetes. But that isn't the only way. People need to get mindful in the moment they are feeling the urge to go nuts on a food. What is going on with you at that moment? And how can you deter the habitual result. Is it hunger? Make a good food choice and eat. Angry, sad or bored? Maybe distract yourself with something else you enjoy instead. Read, take a walk, piddle on the internet, talk to a friend... And get on with your day. If you refuse to give the food, or urge to eat it, power, it won't control you. Eventually these new habits will replace the old with consistent use.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I can't completely cut them out, because I know that'll lead to me binge eating them. I've been doing better when I lowered my portions of them but still have them. I skip certain things, but I couldn't live without potatoes or pasta or bread. I cut them out once, and then completely fell off the wagon and went wayyyyy overboard. Lately it's been better. Once you start controlling your portions and limiting how often you have them, it gets easier. I used to eat pasta 5-6 days a week. Now I'm down to once or twice, and half the portion. I replace some of it with other foods (broccoli and corn are two of my favorites). I also make sure that if I'm going to have a carb-heavy meal, it's before a workout so that I use the carbs more effectively.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't see why the word "processed" is bizarre. Food in its whole form like fruit, vegetables, and meat do not go through nearly as much processing as say, a Lean Cuisine frozen meal or a slice of bread. It's a simple concept and it is well established that eating a diet of whole, unprocessed foods is inherently good for you. Whatever terminology you want to use, that is a basic nutritional fact.

It's bizarre to generalize about processed foods, because (like whole foods) it's such a diverse category that there's essentially nothing they all share in common.

For example, even ignoring the fact that anything in the supermarket (and any meat sold commercially at all) is in some sense processed, not to mention any produce out of season, processed foods include boneless, skinless chicken breast, ground beef, those Healthy Choice meals that I think Dean Ornish was involved with at one point (if I'm wrong about the brand, pick some other low sodium, low fat, generally Ornish approved type frozen meal), some organic made from whole foods type packaged meal you'd find at WF, Ezekial bread, a package of just beans and rice plus spices to make into a side or meal, frozen veggies, a bag of spinach or kale, dried pasta, a Marie Callendar pot pie, Twinkies, a million different types of yogurt, smoked salmon, frozen fish, sausages and bacon, Quest bars, baby-cut carrots, everything from organic steel cut oats to instant oatmeal, and on and on. And based on your own definition, everything made with flour or sugar, no matter where it's made. So grandma's homemade pasta with meat sauce and lots of veggies, processed.

Maybe some people react to all of these foods identically because they are all "processed," but I find that extremely hard to believe. Being "processed" doesn't make a food more prone to being overeaten or more likely to be a trigger. As I said above, I could easily overeat buttery mashed potatoes with some steak and mushrooms. I am not going to overeat some supermarket bread. It's just not appealing to me at all, and to a certain extent we are talking about taste preferences--what is hard for you to resist. (However, this doesn't mean that I stopped eating the mashed potatoes and eat the bread. I don't waste calories on foods that don't appeal to me that much and I simply make sure I eat in moderation.)

I agree that the overall diet may be more or less satiating and for many people that means maybe less emphasis on carbs (although people differ)--I said that in the first post--but the idea that it means processed vs. not ignores how varied these categories is.

Also, maybe some think that they are all less healthy and all "non-processed" foods are by definition more healthy, but that seems to me a silly belief. I tend to prefer eating mostly whole foods, but what's healthy depends on the overall diet and what a particular food adds. As I said before, it's quite reasonable for people to choose to include many processed foods FOR health reasons, as well as for taste (and many, like products made with flour and dairy and sausages are long-standing foods important in many cultures, also).
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options

It's bizarre to generalize about processed foods, because (like whole foods) it's such a diverse category that there's essentially nothing they all share in common.

For example, even ignoring the fact that anything in the supermarket (and any meat sold commercially at all) is in some sense processed, not to mention any produce out of season, processed foods include boneless, skinless chicken breast, ground beef, those Healthy Choice meals that I think Dean Ornish was involved with at one point (if I'm wrong about the brand, pick some other low sodium, low fat, generally Ornish approved type frozen meal), some organic made from whole foods type packaged meal you'd find at WF, Ezekial bread, a package of just beans and rice plus spices to make into a side or meal, frozen veggies, a bag of spinach or kale, dried pasta, a Marie Callendar pot pie, Twinkies, a million different types of yogurt, smoked salmon, frozen fish, sausages and bacon, Quest bars, baby-cut carrots, everything from organic steel cut oats to instant oatmeal, and on and on. And based on your own definition, everything made with flour or sugar, no matter where it's made. So grandma's homemade pasta with meat sauce and lots of veggies, processed.

Maybe some people react to all of these foods identically because they are all "processed," but I find that extremely hard to believe. Being "processed" doesn't make a food more prone to being overeaten or more likely to be a trigger. As I said above, I could easily overeat buttery mashed potatoes with some steak and mushrooms. I am not going to overeat some supermarket bread. It's just not appealing to me at all, and to a certain extent we are talking about taste preferences--what is hard for you to resist. (However, this doesn't mean that I stopped eating the mashed potatoes and eat the bread. I don't waste calories on foods that don't appeal to me that much and I simply make sure I eat in moderation.)

I agree that the overall diet may be more or less satiating and for many people that means maybe less emphasis on carbs (although people differ)--I said that in the first post--but the idea that it means processed vs. not ignores how varied these categories is.

Also, maybe some think that they are all less healthy and all "non-processed" foods are by definition more healthy, but that seems to me a silly belief. I tend to prefer eating mostly whole foods, but what's healthy depends on the overall diet and what a particular food adds. As I said before, it's quite reasonable for people to choose to include many processed foods FOR health reasons, as well as for taste (and many, like products made with flour and dairy and sausages are long-standing foods important in many cultures, also).
    I still don't see the problem. On a spectrum of unprocessed to highly processed foods, it's easy to see which are better for you. It's better to look for the food near the unprocessed end of the spectrum. I eat sausage that has a short ingredients list with fewer preservatives and less processed ingredients, because it's healthier than something with 75 ingredients that I can't pronounce.