Where to start exercise for a really overweight person?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Walking. Definitely. I started out walking and I STILL enjoy it. Find a nice scenic place and walk you heart out. I always found that taking a nice long walk cleared my head and made me feel less stressed out.

Also, swimming. I know it's heading into colder weather now, but if you join a gym with a pool, swimming is great low-impact exercise. My gym has a cold pool (for lap swimming) and a heated pool (for water aerobics classes, arthritis classes, etc). The heated pool is fantastic, especially in the colder months.
  • LACnessMonster
    LACnessMonster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Walking, definitely. It's the easiest way to start. If you need goals to work towards, you can set mileage goals or even mile pace goals for walking, that way you can measure your progress. As you build your endurance, you might find that you want to try running and C25k programs are excellent for starting out trying something new. Good Luck!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I started at almost 300 pounds at 5'5" and definitely start with walking or swimming. Will build up your endurance and strength.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Very good start! I will tell you for less damage and a lot less pain before, during and after... use a pool, join the YMCA in your area and workout in the water, you can jog, do jumping jacks, lift (they make weights for water use) if you can't really do the Y try a local college and see if they have a pool and what it will take to use it.... even some motels will allow you to use their indoor pools for a small fee...
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just walk. Just a little background, in late March I was nearly 270lbs. I began walking every day between 3-5 miles in the first 2 months and then upped it to between 5-7 miles. I also adjusted my caloric in-take to 1500 calories a day.

The weight fell off. Within 5 months I had lost 75 lbs. No need to go crazy and try running or lifting weights just yet. Just walking everyday a little further and a little faster will build all the strength you need.

Best of luck to you... Please let me know if you need anything at all as I would love to help!

Mark
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Shep you are well on your way. Continue walking. Get into strength training. Plenty of body weight or free weight programs to help you out.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    if you have never weight lifted before best advice is find / hire a professional. Most gyms have at least one trainer / strength coach who can give you a better idea where to start and or keep you from injuring your self or someone else.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Personally, I started by just by focusing on my eating and getting that "under control". About 3 months in, I added walking3 time a week for about an hour (over my lunch time). I then increased it to 5 times a week.

Once you lose some weight and get more energy, start finding what you like to do. Check out Exercise classes, video series, even find a buddy who likes to work out/exercise and start exercising that way.

When you get closer to your weight, that is the time to start worrying about maintaining/increasing lean body mass and starting to think about weight lifting. Being a bigger guy you currently have a LOT of lean body mass and can afford to lose some. Trust me, as you get closer to 280, you will want to start thinking about it, for now, just focus on building life long habits.
  • GoneGirl50
    GoneGirl50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've had to ramp up very slowly myself. I didn't want to try too much right away, so I sometimes joined a Meetup.com group that does leisure walking together. The time flies by, and you will meet new people who desire to be fit. To get that upper body started, I sometimes did "Sit and Be Fit" on Youtube with Mary Ann Wilson, or low-impact choices on Fitness Blender. I also do aqua fitness to relieve stress on my joints. The water is soothing and you really do get a workout.