Best protein powder

Options
So as much as I try , I have a hard time reaching my protein goals. Unless of course I go way over on my calories for the day... Just wanted some advice on which protein powders to try. Protein/calorie ratio and of course taste matters! Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• bschoo01
    bschoo01 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    This stuff is hands down my favorite:

Vanilla is 120 cals for 25g of protein and chocolate is 130 cals at 25g of protein

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cellucor/cor-performance-whey.html
  • bschoo01
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look into it... anybody else recommend this?
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have my eyes on EidoPro's 100% Whey Protein Isolate Unflavored and Unsweetened, it's 110 calories per serving with 27g protein. I am going to finish what I have now and then order this one, I have heard good things about it.

I am currently using the GNC Pro Performance Chocolate whey protein powder, it's 90 calories with 20g protein. I like the taste, just don't mix with too much water, it's pretty thin ( I only use about 4oz)

Hope it helps :-)
  • bschoo01
    Options
    I was thinking about getting something unflavored too. I would rather put it in my coffee or my cereal in the morning than mix sit with water/milk and drink it.
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I"ve done lots of protein powder and made lots of misteaks but (body fortress) super advanced Whey Isolate you can get at almost any walmart, krogers, safeway stores it goes for about $20 for two pounds it is 95.8% lactose free 130 calories (per scoop) in each scoop there is 30 grams of protein very low in sugar and carbs it desolves well (what I look for most) and taste really good Vanilla anyway have not tried any other cuz vanilla you can put with anything.
  • bschoo01
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Has anybody tried ON's Gold Standard?
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    lcouterm wrote: »
    I"ve done lots of protein powder and made lots of misteaks but (body fortress) super advanced Whey Isolate you can get at almost any walmart, krogers, safeway stores it goes for about $20 for two pounds it is 95.8% lactose free 130 calories (per scoop) in each scoop there is 30 grams of protein very low in sugar and carbs it desolves well (what I look for most) and taste really good Vanilla anyway have not tried any other cuz vanilla you can put with anything.
    this ^ cheap proteins is best proteins. 2lbs of isolate for less than 20 bux is good enough for me. mix 1 scoop with a cup of cartoned egg whites and you have yourself a 250 calorie,50 gram protein *give or take* post workout shake.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    bschoo01 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried ON's Gold Standard?

yes i have used it for years and love it. I just simply trust this company
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've tried tons of different kinds, but my absolute favorites are Vitamin Shoppe's house brand stuff, which is relatively cheap. Vanilla and Chocolate. They mix great with lots of things (vanilla with cereal, oatmeal), or you can make "goops" easily with the chocolate, gelatin, peanut butter, and coconut oil.

It's called Bodytech Whey, and they sell it online at the VS store or Amazon.
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/bodytech-whey-tech-chocolate-5-lb-powder/vs-2269

Vitamin Shoppe seems to be an East Coast chain; I dunno if they have them in your area.
  • bschoo01
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Lanamasha55
    Lanamasha55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    GNC ISOPURE Strawberries&Cream - 50g protein and 0g carbs. Only $20 if you have their store card.
  • andrew_in_va
    andrew_in_va Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm using NOW Whey Protein Isolate (Unflavored). 25g protein, 0g carbs, 110 calories
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you are looking for. I don't like isolates because a lot of manufacturers won't tell you how much of each type of protein is in their formula. Whey protein is great after workouts as it digests fast and gets into your system quicker. Casein proteins are great for an extended flow of protein over time as it takes longer to digest and breakdown and also helps keep you from getting hungry. It depends on whether you care more about cost, effectiveness, taste, texture and mixability (not really a word). All of these should be part of your consideration because a cheap protein is no good to you if you can't stand the taste or texture, you won't finish it anyway. I love BSN's Syntha6 because it looks, tastes and has the texture of a thick delicious milkshake, even in water. However, many don't like it because it is high in calories from carbs and fat. Trutein supposedly tastes just as good as Syntha6 but is just a pricey. Many brands I've tasted I've managed to stomach but has been way to thin. Is low carb high protein your priority? Is taste and texture your priority? Is cost your priority?
  • edvsoreos
    edvsoreos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tried many brands. ON's Gold Standard Natural Chocolate is by far the best I've used. Like it mixed with almond milk.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Optimum is pretty good and not too expensive. I didn't try all there flavors, but a majority were okay. I've recently gotten hooked on Trutein and find the quality and taste better so far. The only downside is it is a bit on the pricey side.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    lcouterm wrote: »

I'd be wary about Body Fortress. They were called out as one of the companies being looked into for nitrogen spiking

http://www.newsinferno.com/nitrogen-spiking-scams-protein-supplement-customers/