"Softened water is unsafe to drink"

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
How do salesmen who sell folks under the sink RO's with this line sleep at night?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    They're the ones laughing all the way to the bank lol. Honestly in situations like this, if you're going to pay them instead of do 5 minutes of research and realize they're lying, then you deserve to waste your money. Softened water is just fine, but I'd refrain from drinking heavy water, that's just me...
  • _John_
    Options
    Weakly buffered alkaline water is also all the rage now as well.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I won't drink water with Cholera in it.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Soft water gave me psoriasis
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    RO water mean: Reverse Osmosis and it is so much more pure than tap water that it is used exclusively in dialysis patients treatment. Why do you have a problem with RO water?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I just scoop my water from the puddle out back. Right now, it's frozen, so ibjust break off a chunk. Looks pure to me.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Like a baby ... because it is indeed safe to drink.

Entire municipalities soften water...especially if their only source of water if from wells in carbonate rock formations.
  • wheird
    Options
    I need the hard water because otherwise I don't get enough minerals. I hate veggies so skin absorption is a great alternative
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    wheird wrote: »

Yeah, but as near as I can tell, that was from bathing in it, not drinking it.

• wheird
    Options

Yeah but if something harms your skin it probably isn't a good idea to ingest it
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    We had to go RO to get rid of sulfates(?) in our water that our softeners missed (and made our stomachs very sick) but that wasn't an issue with soft water.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    How do salesmen who sell folks under the sink RO's with this line sleep at night?

On gold-lined mattresses?
    tumblr_mlcjmyszR71qjeigjo1_500.gif
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Yeah but if something harms your skin it probably isn't a good idea to ingest it

My skin will react with anything, including aloe and my own sweat, so I don't go by that. Not that I generally ingest my own sweat, either...

Let's take a better example: my skin does not like iron (or most metals, for that matter), but it is kind of important for me to ingest it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    At least it doesn't contain baking soda.
  • _John_
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    We had to go RO to get rid of sulfates(?) in our water that our softeners missed (and made our stomachs very sick) but that wasn't an issue with soft water.

Well water? Most municipalities are decent about getting stuff like that out before it goes to distribution.

Yeah, my angst with this is mostly on municipal waters.

Anion exchange resins aren't as nice as water softeners for replacing ions with things as innocuous as sodium or potassium.
  • wheird
    Options

I put that in my water to help digestion and put my body in a healthy state of alkaline
  • _John_
    Options

Unless you expose it to air, then it does...
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    justcat206 wrote: »

Well water? Most municipalities are decent about getting stuff like that out before it goes to distribution.

Yeah, my angst with this is mostly on municipal waters.

Anion exchange resins aren't as nice as water softeners for replacing ions with things as innocuous as sodium or potassium.

Yep, well water. We've got some crazy stuff out here apparently :/ The worst, though, is forgetting and watering my houseplants with the softened but not filtered water. Apparently there's enough salt in the water to kill them. They do fine with the well water straight from the spigot though. Oooops.
  • _John_
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hmm...maybe your plants need calcium or magnesium. All the salt (chloride) will be washed out during a softeners rinse cycle.