Entering Ressistance Type Exercises

I am 71 years old and just started MyFittnessPal. I am having a problem with trying to add my nine specific resistance type exercises. The exercise machines are created by LifeFittness and are at our local YMCA. The various exercises are - Shoulder Press, Chest Press, Tricep Press, AB Crunch, etc.
When I enter the specific exercise, in MyFittnessPal, I get a message (exercise not found). When I try to create a new exercise, such as "Shoulder Press," I get a message (exercise is in our data base). MyFittnessPal is putting me in a non-recoverable loop; I feel quite certain there must be a solution to this problem.
Please note the LifeFittness resistence type machines do not display Calories; If necessary, I can use an equation that will provide calories burned for each machine -- but it is a pain because I have to get my pulse rate after each exercise.

Replies

• dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Have you tried just pushing the search button without entering anything. Alphabetical order should come up.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I would just enter strength training and go with that. MFP accounts for a small break between sets and so just enter the number of minutes overall you spend working out. If you have to wait too long for a machine or spend time talking to someone.....subtract that little bit of time from the total.

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    It's a little tricky the way they set it up. You can't log those types of things under cardio and get a calorie burn. Instead use the generic "strength training" listing under cardio and if you want to keep track what you've actually doing for sets, reps and weights, you can log each move under the strength training section of the Exercise Diary.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I dont bother with strength training entries, especially not in the cardio section as the estimates are just too unreliable.
  • OconeeSRO
    OconeeSRO Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks all -- the solutions were all good and worked -- I elected to use Strength Training and list the type of exercise; i.e., "Shoulder Press." Worked Great! Only problem was I could not find the "Standing Rope Pull" -- no big deal; I just entered my own numbers that are displayed at the machine. Also note that the cardio section numbers, for the recumbent bike, are twice as high as what is displayed on the machine's display. I'd believe the machine's display because it takes into account "age, time, and pulse before and after the exercise.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    OconeeSRO wrote: »
    Thanks all -- the solutions were all good and worked -- I elected to use Strength Training and list the type of exercise; i.e., "Shoulder Press." Worked Great! Only problem was I could not find the "Standing Rope Pull" -- no big deal; I just entered my own numbers that are displayed at the machine. Also note that the cardio section numbers, for the recumbent bike, are twice as high as what is displayed on the machine's display. I'd believe the machine's display because it takes into account "age, time, and pulse before and after the exercise.

This is why,a lot of people,myself included, just enter 1 calorie burned when lifting.