Should I drop my calories again?

Options
Hello everyone!
For those of you who don't know my story (which is probably most), in a nutshell here it is: Stats are 5'2, f, starting weight was 130lbs on July 28, current weight (as of Nov. 7) was 113lbs. I would like to lose a couple more lbs (110-112 I think would be good 'range' for me, I have a small frame). To lose the weight I followed the calorie limits that MFP set for me - getting down to 120lbs, it gave me 1510cals/day which I followed with no problem. In fact, most days I ended up somewhere around 12-1300 cals. After that, for the month of September give or take a few days, I ate at 1200 cals. I did have treat days about once weekly. I got down to 112lbs which was my 2nd goal weight, as I had surpassed my first gw which was 115lbs, so I began upping my calories ever so slowly - about 50 extra cals/day for a week or so. I have gained back a lb or two which I was expecting, and when that happened, I stopped upping cals and remained at 1450/day, which is what I am currently at. It is do-able for me, but a little low for what I would like to be my "forever maintenance", and I was hoping that I am still losing, just extremely slowly so I haven't noticed any actual fat loss yet.
My question now though is this: should I reduce my daily calories to again, to lose the last 3lbs or so, or stick at 1450? At this point in time, I am not sure if 1450 is my maintenance since it has only been a few weeks at this cal intake (and I have bounced between 113-114) or if I am still losing. One thing that I have read about on these forums is people saying that they were eating low calories for such a long time, that now their metabolism has slowed and maintenance cals are low as a result. I obviously don't want this to happen, so any input regarding that issue would be greatly appreciated. :) I'm not sure how long one needs to spend eating x amount of calories before knowing if they are indeed still losing, or if they are maintaining.
If it makes a difference, my activity level is set to 'lightly active', and I log any extra exercise I do (usually running, a few times a week).
Thanks!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    stick with the 1450 and relax-you're doing great!
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You have been a great supporter - you probably don't remember but you have left me such uplifting and supportive messages on a few of my posts. Thank you, really. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    mrsmcmo wrote: »
    Thank you! You have been a great supporter - you probably don't remember but you have left me such uplifting and supportive messages on a few of my posts. Thank you, really. :)
    WOW That is a very nice thing to say to someone :D Sometimes there doesn't seem to be enough of this on here.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Thank you :blush:
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ^ Lis Rules! :#
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like staying at 1450 will be fine. That's probably 200-300 calories below your maintenance calories at 110 or so, so you definitely should still be losing weight-- 1/2 pound a week or so.

I'm of similar size (a little shorter) and have gone through similar things-- in fact I am presently trying to lose the last 3 pounds-- and I find that doing something like this works well for me.
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Thank you! I will try sticking to 1450 for now and hopefully I will see at least a bit of a drop soon! According to MFP which has been giving me dead on # of cals/day thus far, at 112lbs I should be eating approx. 1650 (I think, I would have to double check) to maintain.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would think you'd be eating a little more than 1650 a day to maintain at 5'3" and 112. . . I'm 5'1" and maintain around 103-105 on 1650-1700 or so. Not sure if I'm just weird and have a fast metabolism though. Once you start maintaining, keep logging and weighing yourself for a month or two (if you want to eventually stop logging food) while eating at the prescribed level to see if it's accurate for you.
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Well just an update, not sure if I will get any additional feedback here or if I should start a new thread. Anyway, I weighed myself today and once again the scale read 114lbs. So I went back and checked my actual dates, and I havent really lost anything since October 3 when I weighed in at 115. A week later (the 10th), I was 114 and since then every week I have been bouncing around between 114, to 113, 112, back to 114, 113 and then 114 (today). I am so discouraged. :( I know I could go ahead and drop my cals to 1200 or 1300 and lose the last few lbs but it is really depressing to think that 1450 could be maintenance for me. :(
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If you have gone from 115 to 114 in 6 weeks, I'd say you are close to maintenance. It's possible the few pounds you put back on after you hit 112 was your body replacing glycogen stores in your muscles rather than fat. Do your clothes fit the same? I know a few pounds can make a difference on a small frame, but don't live and die by what the scale says.

Altogether you lost over 15 pounds in 15 weeks. I'd call that a win!
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Yes, I am noticing a bit of a difference actually. My waistband is slightly tighter, I'm not sure if it's just bloat or what. Sigh. I guess I will lower my calories again to try and drop a couple more lbs. you're right that on a small frame, even a couple lbs makes a big difference.
  • MissJay75
    Options
    Try not to be discouraged. Keep playing with the numbers, and give it time. You'll find what works for you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Well just an update, not sure if I will get any additional feedback here or if I should start a new thread. Anyway, I weighed myself today and once again the scale read 114lbs. So I went back and checked my actual dates, and I havent really lost anything since October 3 when I weighed in at 115. A week later (the 10th), I was 114 and since then every week I have been bouncing around between 114, to 113, 112, back to 114, 113 and then 114 (today). I am so discouraged. :( I know I could go ahead and drop my cals to 1200 or 1300 and lose the last few lbs but it is really depressing to think that 1450 could be maintenance for me. :(

Your concern about getting your maintenance cals below a healthy number in your first post may have come true. Remember our hormones work to keep us alive when we are not eating enough so it will keep slowing our metabolism as we cut our calories. While this does not happen overnight but over a longer period of time. Checking with your medical group may be in order. Eating long term below one natural needs can wreck one's health and wealth.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Your concern about getting your maintenance cals below a healthy number in your first post may have come true. Remember our hormones work to keep us alive when we are not eating enough so it will keep slowing our metabolism as we cut our calories. While this does not happen overnight but over a longer period of time. Checking with your medical group may be in order. Eating long term below one natural needs can wreck one's health and wealth.

Stop using what you read in that JB book to give advice here on MFP, it's not sound advice.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am noticing a bit of a difference actually. My waistband is slightly tighter, I'm not sure if it's just bloat or what. Sigh. I guess I will lower my calories again to try and drop a couple more lbs. you're right that on a small frame, even a couple lbs makes a big difference.

It does take time to take weight off when you are close to goal weight. Drop your calories just a bit and give it a few weeks, add in some extra exercise rather than drop too many calories if that's more comfortable. This will make it easier to bring calories back to maintenance. Remember your weight will always fluctuate 3-4 pounds even at maintenance.
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :) I was wondering, lets say that my metabolism has slowed due to eating quite low calorie for a couple months now (well, I am assuming that it has). How long would it take for it to get back to 'normal'? In other words, would eating at 1450 for a month be long enough to be able to tell if it's my forever maintenance, or do you think that it might take awhile for my metabolism to speed up to what's normal? I would love to eat at 1450 and just hope that eventually my metabolism will speed up and I will drop the last of the weight I was hoping to lose, but a month or so at the same weight isn't giving me a lot of hope that it will. It is strange though, since every site that I have plugged my numbers into give me higher than 1450 for maintenance, by at least a couple hundred. :\ At any rate, I have reduced my calories to 1350 for now.
  • MissJay75
    Options
    I'm still not convinced those few extra pounds aren't your body replenishing glycogen now that you are at maintenance. Many people report a similar experience. (Do a forum search if you are curious)

I think you should keep it at 1350 for a good month. Weigh every day, but don't get hung up on fluctuations - they are going to happen. If maintenance for you really is 1450, a 100 calorie deficit a day will get you at *almost* 1 pound lost in a month. (If you scale doesn't measure to the tenth of a pound it may be hard to see this loss).
    -

Are you seating back exercise calories? How do you know what your burn is, do you use a heart rate monitor? Have you changed your info on MPF and your monitor to reflect your current weight?

Be sure you are super accurate in your measuring, weighing, and logging of food. And most of all, be patient. You will get this sorted out if you give it enough time to get a good handle on the cause/effect your calorie numbers are giving you.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You mention a couple times MFP's recommendation of maintenance calories.

Just to emphasis in case that is missed - that is with NO exercise accounted for.

Also assuming you were honest about your daily activity outside of exercise. Many take Sedentary, to be "on the safe side", when they are clearly not with work, or sometimes work may be desk job, but they have kids and pets and outside exercise, there is no sitting time all evening. That is not sedentary either.

As to how long to get body to speed up again? It's more than just metabolism though, it's your whole day burn.

In this study, the group with extreme diet had their daily burn fall 500 below what it needed to based on lost muscle mass and reduced weight.
    3 months eating at lab measured maintenance, it had gone up to being only 250 below what it could be.

So recovery is possible, also shows why maintenance fails for so many that went extreme.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251
  • mrsmcmo
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    Are you seating back exercise calories? How do you know what your burn is, do you use a heart rate monitor? Have you changed your info on MPF and your monitor to reflect your current weight?

Be sure you are super accurate in your measuring, weighing, and logging of food. And most of all, be patient. You will get this sorted out if you give it enough time to get a good handle on the cause/effect your calorie numbers are giving you.

I usually eat back some exercise calories, but not all. Sometimes I don't eat any, it just depends on the day. For exercise I have been running on the treadmill, and my grand total given to me by the treadmill, I believe, is too high. So when I enter it into MFP, it gives me an automatic number of cals (depending on the time I ran), so I usually just log that number, but don't eat all of those calories - maybe half. Does that make sense? I just prefer to err on the side of caution, instead of eating too many calories back. I keep MFP updated on my weight every week.

Also, I'm quite diligent with my measuring/weighing, I hardly eat out and prep almost all of my meals at home so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. I realize that as you get smaller, accuracy is even more important, so I am trying to be as accurate as possible.
    heybales wrote: »
    You mention a couple times MFP's recommendation of maintenance calories.

Just to emphasis in case that is missed - that is with NO exercise accounted for.

Also assuming you were honest about your daily activity outside of exercise. Many take Sedentary, to be "on the safe side", when they are clearly not with work, or sometimes work may be desk job, but they have kids and pets and outside exercise, there is no sitting time all evening. That is not sedentary either.

It's not only MFP's recommendation, I have calculated daily cals on a few different websites - none of which I can give you a link for ATM, but just some random ones I see thrown around on the forums often. I realize that exercise isn't accounted for with MFP. I am lightly active (I'm a stay at home mom, and do a lot of house work - both inside and out- , grocery shopping at least twice a week, errand running, playing outdoors, etc.) so definitely not sedentary. I do have a couple hours of downtime in the afternoon while my toddler naps though.
    I will check out the link you provided, thanks!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    stick with the 1450 and relax-you're doing great!

Off topic - but OMG I can't beleive someone flagged this post!!!