best sort of porridge/oats

Options
Hi everone,I have just recently lost 3 stone,I'm now trying to start getting into exercise to lose a a couple more stone. I want to try porridge but wondered what where the healthiest brand etc? I'm in the UK and shop at sainsburys if that helps???

Replies

• squirrelone
    squirrelone Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As long as there isn't anything added to it, there should be no real difference.
  • zack1st
    zack1st Posts: 43
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Something I never really ate,so assumed there maybe some brands that add more sugars etc? Just wondered what people are there self's?
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Look for steel-cut as quick-cooking, instant, flavored, etc all have either added sweeteners/color/flavoring or have been processed to the point of being stripped of the majority of their nutrients. Steel-cut oats however aren't processed/have been cut/packaged 'whole' and so haven't lost their nutrients like the other varietites would have. For flavouring you can use a bit of brown sugar, nuts, dried or fresh fruit...
  • zack1st
    Options
    Thank you that's rather helpful,my have to have a look when I go shopping,but long at there steel cut should be on to a winner?
  • squirrelone
    Options
    In my book, rolled is the only kind.

Try overnight oats (just type it into google or youtube).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The important detail is that you find oats without anything added. Oats should be the only ingredient. You will add your own flavorings, if you choose and have complete control over your food.

I like to add fruit and nuts to mine. Raspberries, chopped up apples, raisins and mangoes are amongst my favorite. I only add almonds, because I keep raw, sliced almonds on hand all the time.
  • zack1st
    zack1st Posts: 43
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys and gals much appreciated
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    just get oats...no other ingredients. Some people prefer rolled and other prefer the texture of steel cut...either way, they're just oats.

Just get plain old oats and add whatever you need to add...
  • zack1st
    Options
  • justlosingtheweight
    Options
    Sainsbury's do boxes of 10 sachets of porridge oats.I only buy the original one or the one with barley as the rest have too much added sugars to them. I usually cut up a few strawberries or add a handful of blueberries to it (:

• zack1st
    Options
    Thanks for that,just seen Quaker Oat So Simple Golden Syrup, Family Pack 20x36g 3 for £6,so 60 sachets for £6 sounds a bargain to me :-)
  • squirrelone
    Options
    zack1st wrote: »
    Thanks for that,just seen Quaker Oat So Simple Golden Syrup, Family Pack 20x36g 3 for £6,so 60 sachets for £6 sounds a bargain to me :-)

Have you actually looked at what is in them?
    Only 76% of it is actually oats. The rest is mainly sugar.

And how is it a bargain?
    Even at the "bargain" price. one 36g serving is 0.10£

Here is a infinitely better product:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/porridge-oats/sainsburys-scottish-porridge-oats-15kg

For that, an equivalent 36g serving is 0.04£
    And it is not filled with sugar.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Don't buy Oatso Simple or any of the sachets, they all have sugars and sweeteners added. Buy a bog standard bag of oats from the cereal section. They usually come in plastic bags.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/porridge-oats/sainsburys-scottish-porridge-oats-1kg

(note 100% oats, nothing added)

Then at home you can add your own flavours to your porridge - fruit, a wee touch of jam, cinnamon, the options are endless.

(sorry squirelone - didn't notice I was almost duplicating what you were saying!!)
  • squirrelone
    Options
    Elegra2006 wrote: »
    (sorry squirelone - didn't notice I was almost duplicating what you were saying!!)

It is true and worth repeating.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Since you are in the UK, here are my two recommendations:
    What I like about both of these, compared to other oats I have tried, is the large size of the oats. I like the texture better, and I feel fuller longer with these compared to oats that have been chopped down more.

In contrast, I've had "Quaker Oats - 100% Wholegrain Rolled Oats", and while they do the job and have the same nutritional information, they are cut more finely, so they make a smoother porridge, and they don't seem to keep me full feeling for as long (perhaps the fiber is easier to digest, given the finer chop)?

In any event, I would recommend just about any plain rolled oat, rather than any flavoured/sweetened/processed oat. Then you can add whatever you want ... for me it's blueberries & banana, or banana & peanut butter, or apples & cinnamon. When I cook it, for the liquid, I used half water, half milk. Today, I was out of milk, so I mixed up some whey protein, and used that instead. Experiment to find what you like best, and enjoy! I eats oats all year long.

Note: Edited to fix a few typos, and clarify a few points.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    PS - The oats you noted, i.e., http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-oat-flakes--organic-750g, look just fine. If they're at hand, start with them, then try other plain oats, until you find the ones you like best.

PPS - I agree with the comment about avoiding the oats in single serving packets. They're typically over processed, with loads of added sugar. Get plain oats, and add fresh fruit instead ... more nutrients.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you are a diabetic they say you should get steel cut oats. But if you are not then go for course cut oats rather than finely cut oats. Go for the cheapest you can find rather than brand names. Cook it with water and a pinch of salt. Add cold milk after.