Feeling confused with building muscle while losing fat

Options
I am 128 lbs and 5'2'', ive had 2 kids and was 112 lbs pre-preg with my second. I have gotten really into lifting and enjoy it (new rules of lifting for women started about 2 weeks ago). according to the book i should be eating about 2100 calories with 40/30/30 macros.. i can not eat that amount even when i try so i usually eat about 1800 calories and get as close to 40/30/30 as i can. I am confused if i can lose weight while lifting and eating so many calories as opposed to doing cardio and eating less calories... should i work on losing the weight first via cardio and cutting and then start lifting?

Any tips? I'd love to continue with lifting because i want to be strong but i also want to be able to lose my belly fat and inches around my waist.

TIA!

Replies

• JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm currently beginning a bulk after losing 125 lbs. I've heard that you can do a body recomp, basically eating maintenance calories while lifting and doing so causes you to build muscle and lose fat. Whether it's true or broscience, I do not know. Ultimately, you just got to do what you are more comfortable doing. If you need to cut, fortunately, you wouldn't have much to cut.
  • StephWieler
    StephWieler Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    JoshuaL86 wrote: »
    I'm currently beginning a bulk after losing 125 lbs. I've heard that you can do a body recomp, basically eating maintenance calories while lifting and doing so causes you to build muscle and lose fat. Whether it's true or broscience, I do not know. Ultimately, you just got to do what you are more comfortable doing. If you need to cut, fortunately, you wouldn't have much to cut.

Congrats on losing 125 lbs :) Good luck!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It is the calorie deficit that will allow you to reduce body fat not cardio. Keep lifting to get stronger and help retain your current muscle. Add in some cardio if you like. You are already at a healthy weight range so I would not suggest you try to lose very fast if at all.
  • JoshuaL86
    Options

Thank you! BTW, judging by your profile picture, you don't look like you need to cut. You should be good doing what you're doing now.
  • StephWieler
    StephWieler Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Thank you! BTW, judging by your profile picture, you don't look like you need to cut. You should be good doing what you're doing now.

that pic was before baby #2 :P thanks! im not overly worried about my weight.. but there is visible belly fat that i am uncomfortable with
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

It's not broscience, a recomp will cause simultaneous muscle gain and fat loss granted that you're lifting heavy, and consuming adequate protein. The downside of a recomp is that it's painfully slow which is why people choose to cut and bulk.
  • JoshuaL86
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

It's not broscience, a recomp will cause simultaneous muscle gain and fat loss granted that you're lifting heavy, and consuming adequate protein. The downside of a recomp is that it's painfully slow which is why people choose to cut and bulk.

I'm new to weight-lifting, so I wasn't sure. Just sounded almost too good to be true, minus the slow process.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

I'm new to weight-lifting, so I wasn't sure. Just sounded almost too good to be true, minus the slow process.

I've had great progress with a very long, slow bulk then recomping. I think it depends on what you want your final size to be. If you want to add volume to your body, and not merely change the composition within the same or smaller dimension, then you need to bulk. For a woman, that's usually not the case. Most women want to be either the same size or smaller. A few women want to be bigger, and the only way to accomplish that is bulking.

40/30/30 is just a ballpark, OP. If you are not able to eat 2100 calories, then adjust accordingly. Just make sure you're eating between 100 and 120 grams of protein a day, not letting the carbs get too low, and make sure that you're getting adequate micronutrients and fiber.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights on a calorie deficit is to help you retain your lean body mass while losing weight. Doing everything you can to retain lean body mass while losing weight will get you to a lower bodyfat percentage the quickest, and a low bodyfat percentage is what you need to get that lean tight look.
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options

You're hot. Congrats on losing so much!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    With the exception of newbie gains, you don't build in a deficit, you retain muscle. If you're eating above maintenance, is when you start to build.
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    With the exception of newbie gains, you don't build in a deficit, you retain muscle. If you're eating above maintenance, is when you start to build.

I would disagree with this and there are certainly studies that show otherwise. If you have high body fat it's possible to build muscle in a deficit and lose the body fat. You may not gain body weight but a person most definitely can gain muscle. As stated above it's painfully slow.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I would disagree with this and there are certainly studies that show otherwise. If you have high body fat it's possible to build muscle in a deficit and lose the body fat. You may not gain body weight but a person most definitely can gain muscle. As stated above it's painfully slow.

I would like to read these studies, so please provide them, as obviously I'm doing something wrong here. I have been lifting heavy, in a deficit for 6 months. I'm stronger, yes, but am I "gaining" muscle ?? I don't see this. I am re-comping, which is as aforementioned, a slow process.
  • PeterSedesse
    Options
    The above poster has it correct ( to the best of my knowledge).

People like rules and things that apply universally and can be put on bumper stickers... But I believe that it is possible, and fairly easy for obese people to gain muscle while at a calorie deficiency.

To the OP.. At 1800 with lifting you will gradually lose the belly fat. It really is just up to your own preference. If you enjoy doing what you are doing now, just be content knowing that it will work over time. Of if the belly fat really really annoys you, drop your calories a bit more and do more cardio for a couple months until it is gone, then go back to doing what you are doing now.

My own advice is that if you are making real progress, getting healthier, then just keep doing what you are doing. The speed at which you reach goals is much less important than developing habits that you can sustain your entire life. Too many people do things they hate just to get to a quick goal, but hate the process so much they can´t sustain it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    PeteSede wrote: »
    The above poster has it correct ( to the best of my knowledge).

People like rules and things that apply universally and can be put on bumper stickers... But I believe that it is possible, and fairly easy for obese people to gain muscle while at a calorie deficiency.

To the OP.. At 1800 with lifting you will gradually lose the belly fat. It really is just up to your own preference. If you enjoy doing what you are doing now, just be content knowing that it will work over time. Of if the belly fat really really annoys you, drop your calories a bit more and do more cardio for a couple months until it is gone, then go back to doing what you are doing now.

My own advice is that if you are making real progress, getting healthier, then just keep doing what you are doing. The speed at which you reach goals is much less important than developing habits that you can sustain your entire life. Too many people do things they hate just to get to a quick goal, but hate the process so much they can´t sustain it.

Just calling attention to the golden tidbit in there.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    No. You can do it all at the same time and that is the very best method.

balancing cardio/lifting/nutrition.

balance is best.