feeling isolated

Options
I started losing weight the day I was released from the hospital with a shunt after being admitted for angina. I was almost 39. I weighed over 350 pounds and couldn't walk up even one flight of stairs. The doctor put my on a very controlled VLCD. I started losing weight right away. My diabetes is under control. My heart is healthy. I run 5k 5 times a week and for my 40th birthday I walked a half marathon. I am down to my last 50 pounds and I came here for support as I transition from the VLCD to regular eating. My amazing doctor recommended it and said having on line support would be helpful. I have cried more in the few days that I have been on this forum than I have in years. VCFL literally saved my life. I am 5'4" and weighed 350 pounds. My body wasn't going to keep working if I didn't change. Because of vlcd I got to see my son graduate college, I got to fly on an airplane, I got to fall in love. If the choice is eat 800 calories or die I will chose life every time. I have been here 3 days and every one of my posts was flagged and deleted. I assume this will be too. I am just hoping before you flag with wild abandon that you will reconsider your aptitude for compassion and rethink judging other people so harshly. You don't know me. You don't know what is best for my body. You don't know how closely I have worked with my physician, how much he cares about me, how much values my health. You don't have any idea how kind I am, how much I have to offer, or how lonely it is reading posts about what you're having for thanksgiving when once again I will be drinking soup.
My beautiful son is a parkour instructor. He couldn't understand why I couldn't just diet and exercise. When I took my first walk around the block he was there cheering me on. When I felt discouraged he bought me a soup mug that said "best grandma ever" even though he isn't even married yet, so I could remember what I was fighting for. He taught me He taught me to never give up.
So, I am going to keep posting. You can keep flagging. But I am going to keep plugging away. We all deserve to be healthy and well. I will support you in being your very best self. I hope you will do the same for me.

Replies

0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i'm really sorry you've not had the support you needed from this site - sometimes people can be quite cruel without even realising - other times they know exactly what they're doing. I don't know why you've been flagged - perhaps they had good reason. But I know that everyone deserves to be supported in their journey to good health. I think your son's idea of the 'best grandma ever' mug was fabulous.....you must be so proud of him. Keep fighting through, buy yourself a copy of Taylor Swift's 'Shake it Off', and ignore the haters. As long as you love yourself that's what matters.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think a medically supervised VLCD is better than the do it yourself versions. Those are the ones that get the flak around here. Congratulations on your success. Some things are better left not talked about around here. Best to just discuss the weather, or share recipes.
  • baroquepop
    baroquepop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Juju,

I'm new here and have no idea why someone would flag and delete your post. We'll see if this reply is deleted too? Have no idea why, maybe it's a mistake. Anyway, congratulations on regaining your health!! What a tall hillside you had to climb! It's awesome you had a doctor that worked with you and you were able to work toward your health together. I lost over 100 pounds using a restricted diet and sometimes that's what works. It is better than being obese for you health. Such wonderful accomplishments and rewards you're living because of you. You must feel fantastic and be so proud. You deserve to be!! Congratulations getting this far in your journey! Hope you'll be around, take care!

Juju1970 wrote: »
    I started losing weight the day I was released from the hospital with a shunt after being admitted for angina. I was almost 39. I weighed over 350 pounds and couldn't walk up even one flight of stairs. The doctor put my on a very controlled VLCD. I started losing weight right away. My diabetes is under control. My heart is healthy. I run 5k 5 times a week and for my 40th birthday I walked a half marathon. I am down to my last 50 pounds and I came here for support as I transition from the VLCD to regular eating. My amazing doctor recommended it and said having on line support would be helpful. I have cried more in the few days that I have been on this forum than I have in years. VCFL literally saved my life. I am 5'4" and weighed 350 pounds. My body wasn't going to keep working if I didn't change. Because of vlcd I got to see my son graduate college, I got to fly on an airplane, I got to fall in love. If the choice is eat 800 calories or die I will chose life every time. I have been here 3 days and every one of my posts was flagged and deleted. I assume this will be too. I am just hoping before you flag with wild abandon that you will reconsider your aptitude for compassion and rethink judging other people so harshly. You don't know me. You don't know what is best for my body. You don't know how closely I have worked with my physician, how much he cares about me, how much values my health. You don't have any idea how kind I am, how much I have to offer, or how lonely it is reading posts about what you're having for thanksgiving when once again I will be drinking soup.
    My beautiful son is a parkour instructor. He couldn't understand why I couldn't just diet and exercise. When I took my first walk around the block he was there cheering me on. When I felt discouraged he bought me a soup mug that said "best grandma ever" even though he isn't even married yet, so I could remember what I was fighting for. He taught me He taught me to never give up.
    So, I am going to keep posting. You can keep flagging. But I am going to keep plugging away. We all deserve to be healthy and well. I will support you in being your very best self. I hope you will do the same for me.

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the awesome results! Love the mug idea!
  • jsr1555
    jsr1555 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You have gone through an incredible journey and the best is yet to come. Your blessed with family and professional care that has your best interest at heart. I fully support you and know that you will be successful and rewarded for your hard work and determination to live the life you imagine!
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The grandma mug thing is pretty clever. Your kid is smart. I really don't understand the rest of the post, but good luck all the same.
  • kt_simms
    kt_simms Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't know why your other posts were flagged and deleted, but wanted to say congratulations on your weight loss and your tenacity. There are always people who think they know butter, but you are the only expert on you!

It's great that you have your son's support and I hope that you'll be able to find some friendship and encouragement on here too. I have never been a believer in the power of support. My mentality was that I made myself this way and only I can make it different. But it does help to have people in your corner to cheer you on and who relate to the various struggles. And, most importantly to me, who understand the significance of every single little NSV and milestone.

All the best!
  • Juju1970
    Juju1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am sorry I wasn't clear. I get flagged for being on a doctor supervised vlcd. it doesn't violate any rules. After review, it looks like my comments get put back up. Apparently, readers on MFP know how to save my life better than my cardiologist.
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am sorry I wasn't clear. I get flagged for being on a doctor supervised vlcd. it doesn't violate any rules. After review, it looks like my comments get put back up. Apparently, readers on MFP know how to save my life better than my cardiologist.
    Then if you're "feeling isolated", why talk about a controversial topic if you know it will get flagged or critiqued? Unless you enjoy the notoriety.

• Juju1970
    Juju1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @marvlovs78 are you seriously saying that people violating the flagging rules to flag me are fine, but me sharing my experience or asking for help should just shut up? And also, if I am hurt by people breaking the rules and flagging me, I am in it for the noteriaty? I need support. I came here to find it.
  • castlefuzz
    castlefuzz Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You can do it Juju1970. I have been struggling with my weight I hear there.Be here is the support and love from another member.Never let negative people bring you down.
  • ckp6112
    Options
    My friend did Medifast at 800 calories a day andlost 30 pounds
  • rererangi03
    rererangi03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i tell ya what im going to try my damn hardest over the next year to loose weight - if it dont friggn happen ill be going on optifast vlcd - i think its going to happen tho cos im making it happen
    - optifast is my back up plan
  • jennilsf
    jennilsf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @marvlovs78 are you seriously saying that people violating the flagging rules to flag me are fine, but me sharing my experience or asking for help should just shut up? And also, if I am hurt by people breaking the rules and flagging me, I am in it for the noteriaty? I need support. I came here to find it.

I've been on MFP for a few years now, trying different lans and ratios of nutrients to lose the weight and, more importantly, maintain that loss. I married a chef, so it's extra hard now. After seeing the change a employee of his made, I decided to try what she did, and began Medifast this month. So far it's going great, and I'm still using MFP to track everything instead of their app.

After searching boards for friends who are also on Medifast that would be willing to share diaries and offer suggestions and support, I've got to say, I'm utterly shocked at the lack of support, the judgemental responses, and the downright trolling behavior in this community, which until now has always been my rock and home base during all of my efforts to get healthy. I can't believe it. The flagging, the nasty comments, the assumption that everyone who dares to mention the "M" word is "working" and only trying to push it on others. I actually hadn't even heard of Medifast before our employee told me how she lost her weight, and am only looking for others who follow it and get ideas and information.

But every thread I find is flagged to death and full of negativity from those who oppose Medifast. I have never judged ANYONE for the choices they make in their own personal weight loss efforts, and I'm so disappointed in the way this is handled here.

I hope that others on Medi will friend me so we can share ideas, and I hope others drop the negativity. Even if we wouldn't personally choose some of the programs and methods used my others for ourselves, we need to offer support to everyone on this journey. I THOUGHT that's what MFP was all about...
  • 9chimera11
    9chimera11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Hugs. You are amazing. Keep doing it.

There are a lot of 'holier than thou' people here who forget everyone is fighting a battle. This is why I don't post much on the forums and just use the calorie tracking app.

If you are getting too much negativity, you always have the option of just walking away from them. :smile: Life is easier when evil people are not in it.

Good luck <3
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You really shouldn't let the haters on here get you down since it sounds like you're doing great. It's just the internet and you don't know these people. Easier said than done, I suppose.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Do not let people get to you! You have a doctor helping you. People take different routes to get to their goals. Sometimes people don't understand. I hope you find support and love here! Best of luck finishing your journey!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your physician supervised low calorie diet worked for you. However, an obese person with medical issues is very different than the average person wanting to lose 20-50lbs. I have no idea what replies you made that got you flagged. I can say that if you are blinding suggesting people go on low calorie diets, then yes, this is wrong and your replies deserve flagging. If you are suggesting people talk to their physician about which dieting method is appropriate for them, then great.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

If a doctor prescribed you heroin (yes that is a prescription drug for certain medical conditions although its pharmaceutical name is different) does that mean it's okay to encourage people to take heroin without a doctor's prescription?

There are some situations where VLCDs are medically justified, but for the general population they are not safe. And even when they are medically justified, they should be done under a doctor's supervision. A doctor's prescription is for one person only, and they're based on that person's unique medical history, and they're not safe for the general population to self-prescribe. Hence why it's against community guidelines for people to promote VLCDs, because they actually aren't safe for the general population.

Also, if your posts have been deleted, then you must have broken community guidelines (i.e. promoting unsafe dieting techniques) - flags mean nothing, because moderators simply ignore flags that have been made for stupid reasons. However, if the mods have deleted your posts (no-one else can) then you must have broken community guidelines.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    well done on your achievements and congratulation. You are an inspiration and i don't understand why people would flag a comment like yours. I understand you had to work so hard to get to where you are, so a big Congrats to you is well deserved. you are doing great so trust and believe that great things are coming your way. Healthier , better looking and feeling better embrace the beautiful days to come!
    By the way, you must be very proud of your son, you raised a great man !