feeling isolated

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Juju1970 wrote: »
    I am sorry I wasn't clear. I get flagged for being on a doctor supervised vlcd. it doesn't violate any rules. After review, it looks like my comments get put back up. Apparently, readers on MFP know how to save my life better than my cardiologist.

If a doctor prescribed you heroin (yes that is a prescription drug for certain medical conditions although its pharmaceutical name is different) does that mean it's okay to encourage people to take heroin without a doctor's prescription?

There are some situations where VLCDs are medically justified, but for the general population they are not safe. And even when they are medically justified, they should be done under a doctor's supervision. A doctor's prescription is for one person only, and they're based on that person's unique medical history, and they're not safe for the general population to self-prescribe. Hence why it's against community guidelines for people to promote VLCDs, because they actually aren't safe for the general population.

Also, if your posts have been deleted, then you must have broken community guidelines (i.e. promoting unsafe dieting techniques) - flags mean nothing, because moderators simply ignore flags that have been made for stupid reasons. However, if the mods have deleted your posts (no-one else can) then you must have broken community guidelines.

I was under the impression that 5 flags result in posts being hidden for mod review. She said her posts were put back though, so it seems like they didn't violate the guidelines. People really are flag happy on here. It's ridiculous.
  • snowyogalove
    snowyogalove Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hello, I can't speak for others but I will speak for myself. To hear that someone is eating 800 calories and is successfully losing weight, is triggering. I struggle with binge eating and, in the past, have tried to over-restrict calories in an effort to lose weight. I'm in a much better place now and I know that I need a certain amount of calories. It is potential that people have flagged your post for similar reasons. However, we are all on different paths. I'm SUPER happy to hear that you are working with your physician to be healthy. Congratulations on your success! We are all on a difficult journey, each of us with different barriers, different paths, and different goals. Everyone just needs to remember that just because one path isn't for you, doesn't mean its not a good option for someone else.
  • coffeerose55
    coffeerose55 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight the day I was released from the hospital with a shunt after being admitted for angina. I was almost 39. I weighed over 350 pounds and couldn't walk up even one flight of stairs. The doctor put my on a very controlled VLCD. I started losing weight right away. My diabetes is under control. My heart is healthy. I run 5k 5 times a week and for my 40th birthday I walked a half marathon. I am down to my last 50 pounds and I came here for support as I transition from the VLCD to regular eating. My amazing doctor recommended it and said having on line support would be helpful. I have cried more in the few days that I have been on this forum than I have in years. VCFL literally saved my life. I am 5'4" and weighed 350 pounds. My body wasn't going to keep working if I didn't change. Because of vlcd I got to see my son graduate college, I got to fly on an airplane, I got to fall in love. If the choice is eat 800 calories or die I will chose life every time. I have been here 3 days and every one of my posts was flagged and deleted. I assume this will be too. I am just hoping before you flag with wild abandon that you will reconsider your aptitude for compassion and rethink judging other people so harshly. You don't know me. You don't know what is best for my body. You don't know how closely I have worked with my physician, how much he cares about me, how much values my health. You don't have any idea how kind I am, how much I have to offer, or how lonely it is reading posts about what you're having for thanksgiving when once again I will be drinking soup.
    My beautiful son is a parkour instructor. He couldn't understand why I couldn't just diet and exercise. When I took my first walk around the block he was there cheering me on. When I felt discouraged he bought me a soup mug that said "best grandma ever" even though he isn't even married yet, so I could remember what I was fighting for. He taught me He taught me to never give up.
    So, I am going to keep posting. You can keep flagging. But I am going to keep plugging away. We all deserve to be healthy and well. I will support you in being your very best self. I hope you will do the same for me.

• coffeerose55
    coffeerose55 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok Not sure why people flag you as Spam. You are not soliciting anything. What ever jump start you need to get healthy good. At least you did not resort to the bypass surgery That can be scarey especially if people do not change their life style Hang in there you are to be applauded .I am in a similiar situation about huffing and puffing. The handwriting is on the wall..
    Coffeerose
  • jennilsf
    jennilsf Posts: 57 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I would think many plans MFP users post about in looking for support from others using that plan could be "triggering" for SOMEONE. Still doesn't give people the right go after someone's posts or question just because they don't "approve" or like the path that person has chosen. As for all the judging and meanness, unless the OP specifically asks for opinions about their plan, I don't see why some people comment so negatively. It's their bodies and their health, and we all pretty much agree that it's a very personal thing. I dunno, I just see people who obviously have a problem with certain diets posting on threads specifically concerning that very diet . So why are they there? Just to troll, it seems to me, but it's allowed and people who are simply looking for support just have to try and ignore it.
  • jennilsf
    Options
    I will say though, it's cracking me up how many posts are getting flagged on a thread about flagging. lol ;)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    There are individuals here who are battling eating disorders and posts discussing VLCDs can be triggering and lead them to engage in unhealthy habits. Even if the person is eating a VLCD for medical purposes and is under the supervision of a doctor, it's simply against the rules of MFP.

I (and others) am glad you found something that works for you but what works for you can be deadly for others. You need to be mindful of that. So if you do not want to be flagged, refrain from discussing VLCDs here.
  • makingmylifebetter
    makingmylifebetter Posts: 37 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There are individuals here who are battling eating disorders and posts discussing VLCDs can be triggering and lead them to engage in unhealthy habits. Even if the person is eating a VLCD for medical purposes and is under the supervision of a doctor, it's simply against the rules of MFP.

I (and others) am glad you found something that works for you but what works for you can be deadly for others. You need to be mindful of that. So if you do not want to be flagged, refrain from discussing VLCDs here.

This is ridiculous. There are also people discussing alcohol here, which could be dangerous for alcoholics. There are people discussing desserts, which could be deadly for me as a 300-pound dessert lover. There are people discussing depression, which could set someone off who is likewise depressed. There are people discussing gastric bypass, which some people do die from.

Very low calorie diets, particularly medically supervised ones, are a legitimate form of weight loss, and as adults we should be allowed to discuss them. I have a particular interest, as my brother recently started a medically supervised Optifast diet, and I am considering the pros and cons of such a diet and whether I should consider it myself.

Also, there seems to be no ban on discussing intermittent fasting. Could that not also "set off" someone with an eating disorder?

Edited to add-- kudos to the original poster on your success in regaining health, and apologies for all those who seem unable to support you.
  • jennilsf
    Options

This is ridiculous. There are also people discussing alcohol here, which could be dangerous for alcoholics. There are people discussing desserts, which could be deadly for me as a 300-pound dessert lover. There are people discussing depression, which could set someone off who is likewise depressed. There are people discussing gastric bypass, which some people do die from.

Very low carb diets, particularly medically supervised ones, are a legitimate form of weight loss, and as adults we should be allowed to discuss them. I have a particular interest, as my brother recently started a medically supervised Optifast diet, and I am considering the pros and cons of such a diet and whether I should consider it myself.

THIS.
  • Juju1970
    Juju1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am so new to online forums I don't know how to get notifications when things I am following are updated. I had no idea there there were so many responses. To all the people who have sent me supportive emails and friends requests, Thank You! I really needed that.
    As a follow up, I think ALL the posts that were flagged for abuse and hidden have been restored. I wasn't violating any rules and I am glad that at least the people in charge noted that.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

We are all adults here, supposedly. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. It's perfectly fine for someone to do this under the care of a doctor. If people have a problem with this, that's THEIR problem. They really need to get over it, take responsibility for their own lives and act like an adult.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I am sorry I wasn't clear. I get flagged for being on a doctor supervised vlcd. it doesn't violate any rules. After review, it looks like my comments get put back up. Apparently, readers on MFP know how to save my life better than my cardiologist.

If a doctor prescribed you heroin (yes that is a prescription drug for certain medical conditions although its pharmaceutical name is different) does that mean it's okay to encourage people to take heroin without a doctor's prescription?

There are some situations where VLCDs are medically justified, but for the general population they are not safe. And even when they are medically justified, they should be done under a doctor's supervision. A doctor's prescription is for one person only, and they're based on that person's unique medical history, and they're not safe for the general population to self-prescribe. Hence why it's against community guidelines for people to promote VLCDs, because they actually aren't safe for the general population.

Also, if your posts have been deleted, then you must have broken community guidelines (i.e. promoting unsafe dieting techniques) - flags mean nothing, because moderators simply ignore flags that have been made for stupid reasons. However, if the mods have deleted your posts (no-one else can) then you must have broken community guidelines.

I was under the impression that 5 flags result in posts being hidden for mod review. She said her posts were put back though, so it seems like they didn't violate the guidelines. People really are flag happy on here. It's ridiculous.

Okay if that's all that's happening then maybe she wasn't breaking guidelines. I agree people are flag happy. For breaking community guidelines people are supposed to use the "report" flag. "spam" is only for bot type spam like the resident baba black magic dude and the "abuse" is supposed to be only for extremely blatant abuse.

If people are regularly abusing the spam and abuse ones, rather than using the "report" button for community guidelines, I think the mods should take action against them.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    "non-traditional" forms of weight control will always receive negative reactions in the public forums. That's just a fact - I hope the OP can live with that. Support for these types of diets probably get better responses in the Groups section of MFP, such as the Atkins and Paleo. She should start a VLCD or Medfast group. Then she can moderate and remove unwanted posts. That would be my advice for the OP.
  • bloodlett
    bloodlett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    if the group that opposes to this type of weight loss would look at the tools they use for weight loss like gyms Oo yes that is a tool or protein powders or videos they should flag themselfs vlcd is only a tool used to kick start a life altering change I wish you all the best with your extended life
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    There are people who will criticize no matter what. Important thing to remember … ignore the ugliness. You and your doctor have worked out what is right for you. As someone else pointed out that this doesn't mean it would be right for someone else. At some point you will come off the super tight restriction and you will do that with your doctor's support. I think you will find that the tools here will help you maintain your healthy weight. Hang in there, don't expect everyone to know what is and isn't going to be healthy and or right for you. Since your super restrictive diet is not the norm you will receive knee jerk reactions from people. Hang in there and remember it is the long haul we are aiming for. So when you get to your goal weight you want to stay there. Hard to do, that one I haven't conquered. Good luck!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think that perhaps some people on here don't understand the different between an MFP "flag" and a Facebook "Like"? My guess is that people are trying to "Like" your post by checking the flag, then the moderators are forced to take it down to investigate, then realize there is nothing actually wrong w/your post, then put it back up. Anyone else think this might be the case?
  • jennilsf
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When you click flag, you then automatically have to choose 1 of 3 options : spam, abuse, or report, or it does nothing, so no, they know it is not a "like". I do wish we had that option! :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I am very careful how I use the forums on here. I am taking an exercise and small deficit approach but am pretty tolerant. I suggest finding a group with similar issues rather than posting on the main forums. I set up a group for people in my age range that share a different challenge. It is a very supportive group. I haven't had to delete any abuse on it. I post on one group where we just post the number of days we exercise each month. I post on a group that is for daily check in because I find that helpful. I don't really know what approach others are using to lose. One group doesn't have to do it all for you. If you need support to exercise there are supportive groups for that. If you use a Fitbit there is one for that. Just posting on the general board can be risky even if you aren't saying anything particularly controversial. There are definite MFPisms. Losing alot of weight is one of the most difficult things to do. You have to find your own way. I tried the MFP way of purely calories in and calories burned and it didn't work for me after a while. I have to limit the junk. After losing 10% of my weight using MFP settings I stalled on a moderately low calorie deficit for months on end despite doing everything to get through it. I personally had to stop eating at a calorie deficit for a while to reset my maintenance calories and then eat more calories with a very small calorie deficit. I found a group here that helped. I slowly lost more (40 pounds). Right now my issue is different since my work schedule makes exercise and cooking healthy really difficult and that is what works for me.

On this fight you can't let anything get in your way. It is great you aren't giving in to people who are judging your approach and frankly that is what it takes. You are finding others here that do understand and others that have had issues with it. I use the forums for finding out about something or finding a recipe. When I first introduced myself no one but one person posted. Now I have too many friends and they are all supportive. Once in a while I respond to something that interests me. I have asked for specific advice like when I first started running and when I posted a curiosity like losing a shoe size and the response was wonderful. So I love and am grateful to MFP but then I wouldn't let it get in my way either.

Your approach is definitely not the only one that is controversial on here and those others have found their place. I am sure that some of those who understood are friends now. Best wishes and congratulations on your success.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    jennilsf wrote: »
    When you click flag, you then automatically have to choose 1 of 3 options : spam, abuse, or report, or it does nothing, so no, they know it is not a "like". I do wish we had that option! :)

Hmm, Good point! :)
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    KeriA wrote: »
    I suggest finding a group with similar issues rather than posting on the main forums.

I totally agree with this! When I first started here I posted a lot about emotional eating and food addiction, and I got blasted out of the water by the self-righteous forums n@zi's (you know the type, the people who have 30,000 posts and believe they hold the keys to the health-universe). :D The blessing that came out of it was a large friend base of folks who reached out to me after reading my posts, all of which were in the exact same boat, totally understood what I was talking about, and also felt judged by the snotty mfp judgy-judgers. We now just hang out on my wall discussing various issues and it's great.

I know there is a feature where you can even start a group. That might be the way to go?