How bad is it to go over on protein?

Options
I try and try to stay under , but I frequently go over on protein, how "bad" is it?

Replies

• 71labchick
    Options
    I think you are fine, unless you are ingesting more than 50 g per sitting. There is a finite amount of protein you can process (use) at a time. I think over in Protein is better than over in carbs or sugars. IMHO. :)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    What's your goal & how over are you? Most people struggle to meet protein goals. I don't know anything about it technically speaking, but I would think if you're gonna go over on something, make it protein!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A lot of people look at the fat and protein macros as minimums. As long as you're still under your calories, there's no problem.
  • zack1st
    Options
    I go 20% over on my protein quite often and never had any problems
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    `I'm impressed. I fight like a dog just to hit my protein numbers. If I don't work out the numbers aren't that bad, but if I hit the gym my numbers double. I never hit my protein macro. Here is an article that might be useful to you. articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/too-much-protein.aspx
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    If you are going over MFP's recommendation, then you are actually doing great! 1 gram per pound of lean mass is a good place to start if you desire to maintain lean mass while losing weight. Of course, lifting helps immensely. But regardless, MFP is set ridiculously low on protein.
  • Michellebhayes70
    Michellebhayes70 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm never over on calories, but I seem to love protein!
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    from what i've read it's not the worst thing in the world? not sure. it's probably better than going over on sugar/carbs/fat but i don't think it matters too much if you're meeting your calorie goal and things looks pretty even despite the higher amount of protein. i don't think it's something to worry about especially if a big portion of those grams of protein come from fruit/veggies. but then again idek
  • Michellebhayes70
    Michellebhayes70 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps!
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you are going over MFP's recommendation, then you are actually doing great! 1 gram per pound of lean mass is a good place to start if you desire to maintain lean mass while losing weight. Of course, lifting helps immensely. But regardless, MFP is set ridiculously low on protein.

^^THIS
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Pfffffft too much protein? NEVER! It's great when you're in a deficit and don't work out because it will help slow muscle loss. It's great when you're in a decicit and DO lift weights because it helps REALLY slow down muscle loss. It helps when you're at maintenance or a clean bulk because it helps you GROW new muscle. More protein in meals help to keep you more full for longer.

Ahhhhh protein. Queen of the macros.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I try and try to stay under , but I frequently go over on protein, how "bad" is it?

If you have pre-existing kidney issues then it can be bad.

If you have healthy kidneys then it's not bad at all.

Also excessive protein does not do damage to healthy kidneys