Stronglifts 5x5 results... really that good?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    1c6da3e4-33bd-4a14-805b-2efc9e818f6d_zpsa7cbd6f1.jpg

So here's my progress...Picture on left was me at my heaviest, middle was after losing close to 50 lbs doing mostly cardio, right picture was 9 weeks into stronglifts. There's only a 3 lb difference between the 2nd/3rd picture.

SL5x5 results after 1 12 week session - never lifted weights before in my life other than p90x, but no "heavy" weights...nothing over 10-20 lb dumbells usually.
    Squat - 60# => 365# (1RM)
    DL - 135# => 385# (1RM)
    BP - 70# => 235# (1RM)
    OP - 85# => 130# (working weight)
    Row - 85# => 185# (working weight)

I also did weighted pull-ups 185# bodyweight + 35# hanging => 182# bodyweight + 75# hanging

I think it's a great program and can't wait to start my second round on Monday. Hoping to get into the "1,000 lb club" before Christmas with the three power-lifting moves!

NICE!!!! Great job man.

OP, a friend of mine squatted 565lbs at a powerlifting meet using only stronglifts 5x5

Thanks! 565 squat is sick. How long did it take him to get to that and at what BW did he compete? My last working weight in the program was 280#. According to the 1RM calculators my max should have been around 315-325. I tried for my max 3 times 315, 345 and then finally 365. If I would have started at a higher weight I think I might have been able to do 385 on the squat. Lessons learned I guess. I've also been doing the whole program on a slight (5-10%) cut.

I'm not sure how long he used it before the meet but he was a super heavyweight.
  • BryBub
    BryBub Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Depending on how seasoned you are I guess. The design of the routine will cater more towards building strength. It's not really designed for bulking/toning or burning significant calories.

EDIT: I say depending on how seasoned because the program is designed around doing compound movements. Movements that can be complex and potentially dangerous to someone that is new to lifting.

Yes, but.... As potentially dangerous as being severely overweight?

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Ive heard wonders about this routin but i would like to hear your experiencies with it and if is possible to see before/after pictures!
    Greetings!

As a program goes, it's good. You'll get out of it what you put into it though. So you put everything in your body and heart... you'll get wonders out. You go through the motions, and you won't get much.
  • dbmata
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    I think it's a great program and can't wait to start my second round on Monday. Hoping to get into the "1,000 lb club" before Christmas with the three power-lifting moves!
    You'll get there.

You're just a few pounds off, and probably could hit it with a good DL session and test...
  • dbmata
    Options
    EDIT: I say depending on how seasoned because the program is designed around doing compound movements. Movements that can be complex and potentially dangerous to someone that is new to lifting.

Excepting of course, these are basic movements everyone is familiar with, it's a program for newbies, and it's cheap to get form checked out.

If anyone has taken a dump while hiking or camping, picked something off the ground, or pushed something away from themselves, they have the basics for Stronglifts, then just need to work on the finer points.
  • dbmata
    Options
    How much time does that gain you?
  • dbmata
    Options
    nice, that's a significant difference. Any impacts to your progress?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    In to read and learn because I just started doing the program. The app is excellent!
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol.

I was thinking of building a squat cage for the garage, and then we've started average -10c at night... and I'm like. Nope. Nice gym for me. So I can totally understand.
  • dbmata
    Options
    seriously. Work a GVT program in that and you're liable to get hypothermia.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Every fitness beginner on earth -- male or female -- should begin with a 5x5 program, and Stronglifts is probably the best one for beginners.

5x5 is to movement what keeping a food log is to eating -- a great starting point where you'll learn a lot, and build a foundation for living a healthy rest of your life.

You don't have to do it forever, but you'll never regret spending 6 months with it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I deal with #2 every gym session, and I actually really like the feeling of hitting people.

So I very much understand the dilemma. ;) Also at home, you can use beer as a peri.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    There's only a 3 lb difference between the 2nd/3rd picture.

McCloud - That is exactly what it is all about. There are so many people here who are hell bent on losing x lbs per month and starving themselves. You pretty much stay the same weight, but change your "composition" and look at you!

This is really impressive man! (*)

I just started strong lifts so I am looking forward to working HARD!

• Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is great. I'm actually doing a minor variation of it myself and aside from some lower body setbacks that have delayed those portions a bit, I'm pretty pleased with it.