Infertility -need to lose weight!

Options
41oy3cj338ye.jpg

Hi, I have been on and off MFP for over a year, but really never made friends.
I am dealing with weight issues and have been trying to get pregnant for almost 9 years!!!!
Sooooo, I am starting over - looking for women (or men) who have been dealing with infertility and trying to lose weight to help with that issue.
Any success stories? Actually, any support would be helpful!

Replies

• lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have been dealing with infertility for so long. No success stories to share, but feel free to add me for support.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty far away from wanting kids myself (I'm still in college), but I'm a reliable tracker! No success story of my own, but it took my parents a couple of years to conceive my brother and I. My mom was older and I think it just took a little extra boost, that's why I'm a twin (fertility drugs). But good luck to you! I know it can be an emotionally and physically draining process. Especially for nine years!
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    41oy3cj338ye.jpg

Hi, I have been on and off MFP for over a year, but really never made friends.
    I am dealing with weight issues and have been trying to get pregnant for almost 9 years!!!!
    Sooooo, I am starting over - looking for women (or men) who have been dealing with infertility and trying to lose weight to help with that issue.
    Any success stories? Actually, any support would be helpful!

Let me tell you, the women in my family suffer from being unable to get pregnant every time. It's a curse, I tell you. My mother was told she would never have children after she gave her first baby up for adoption (she was forced to, teen pregnancy and all). She went 8 years with unprotected sex and got pregnant one day. Then tried for 8 more years and had me! My grandmother had the same problem, and I believe her sisters did too.

My sister decided she wanted to have a baby with her husband. She tried for five/six long years. The doctors didn't know what was wrong with her. She took fertility pills, they put her on diets. They did tests and all sorts of stuff to no avail. Then 8 months ago she learned she was 2 months pregnant! Twas a miracle, indeed!

So there is hope. Please don't give up hope because when the time is right it will happen. Stay strong and be positive. :)
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've been married 10 years and have been trying to have a baby the entire time. It's my top reason for losing weight. I'm 27 now, I have an irrational fear of not having a baby by 30. (hard to explain). I've been a foster parent, but it's not the same. If you want to be friends, feel free to add me.
    It makes me angry when you read all these people say "just lose 5-10lbs you'll get pregnant" I call Bs, I've lost 75lbs, still waiting.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My best friend had her stomach stapled 10 years ago. She couldn't lose weight to save her life nor could she get pregnant. The doc told her to lose 100 pounds and there would be more he could do for her. She went out the next week and back then it was stomach stapling. She now has an 8 yr old daughter. She doesn't regret it one bit. She lost over 150 pounds.

From my perspective after seeing what she went through the surgery and now she vomits a lot. She doesn't think it much, but every time I see her she'll excuse herself to vomit. She asks when I fly to bring back the vomit bags for her to keep in her car and purse. I too, needed to lose weight and I knew I'd NEVER get my stomach stapled or any of those precedures. I never felt I gave exercise a fair chance to alter my body in that way.

So, I gave exercise every once of my attention. I vowed to give it one year of my life and if it didn't work for me I'd move on. Damn if it didn't work and right away. I started during November of all times. Without changing my diet I lost 2 pounds in November and 2 pounds in December. January I got to thinking if I ate a bit healthier I might be able to lose more.

28678043.png
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    I guess I would call myself a success story.

I lol'd at your pic because after I went off the pill in my first attempt to conceive, I had no cycles. None...for 18 months. So obviously I couldn't get pregnant. Given that I was 33 at the time I was lucky enough that they just referred me to a very good reproductive endocrinologist. At the time, it was the semi-early stages of them starting to understand the links between PCOS, insulin resistance, and infertility. They tested me for both and found I was both (the Dr. was surprised because he didn't think I fit the "classic" representation of women that are PCOS). I was lucky to conceive my son after I was prescribed Metformin, and with the help of Clomid (which sucks), HCG shot, and IUI.

After my son was born, my cycles returned but were irregular.
    When my son was about 3, I lost a significant amount of weight (65 lbs. I'm short lol) and my periods became regular. Within a couple of years I was tested for insulin resistance and was found to not be insulin resistant (they said the initial tests were wrong...but considering that I knew for a fact that there were cycsts on my ovaries and the first dr. was considered an expert in the field, I'd expect he was right).

When I wished to attempt to conceive again (9 years later, when I was 42), I was worried. However I was having regular cycles at the time, and I was able to conceive on the first month of "actively" (ie counting the days) trying.

After my daughter was born, I had gained significant weight, but I did have cycles (they weren't completely regular). Now that I have lost 30 lbs, I'm back to 28 days on the dot.

So, in short, I believe that losing weight can significantly help some people with certain infertility problems because I feel it helped me (and I feel like I was a "success story").

The very best of luck to you. It's a hard journey (and I know I was very lucky mine was so short).
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options
    kingscrown wrote: »

So, I gave exercise every once of my attention. I vowed to give it one year of my life and if it didn't work for me I'd move on. Damn if it didn't work and right away. I started during November of all times. Without changing my diet I lost 2 pounds in November and 2 pounds in December. January I got to thinking if I ate a bit healthier I might be able to lose more.

28678043.png

I should add to my story that in fact I did exercise very regularly during the times I lost weight and I feel that was a huge help. There are so many studies that link insulin resistance to lack of exercise, I really do think it's critical.
  • krustyoldhag
    krustyoldhag Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support.. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in 1999. I have had 3 miscarriages that I know of.
    The thing is, I have been thinner - like 120 pounds or so and still had issues getting pregnant. I am 37 now - almost 38... and 165 pounds. I have lost 13 pounds in the past month... I am just hoping and praying that losing weight will be the answer!
    I am scared that I am going to lose my chance at having a family.
  • krustyoldhag
    Options
    kingscrown wrote: »

28678043.png

I should add to my story that in fact I did exercise very regularly during the times I lost weight and I feel that was a huge help. There are so many studies that link insulin resistance to lack of exercise, I really do think it's critical.

I have been on Metformin and Clomid. Neither medication worked for me! I am happy that you had the chance to have a child! How exciting after the struggle you went through!
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was told I wouldn't have kids when I was still a kid! (I was 13-14). Well, now I have a 15 month old :) And I never used contraceptives until after she was born cause I am not ready for another shall another miracle appear! Unfortunately I gained all the weight WHILE pregnant (bed rest) so I can't account for that part, but I did indeed get my biggest wish, a beautiful baby girl!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I like to think of myself as a success story.
    I conceived my first child quite by accident. Oops. So I never imagined the struggle that would come for number 2. In the course of 6 years of TTC, multiple miscarriages, two ectopic pregnancies, fertility treatments, I finally conceived and birthed my little miracle.

I don't believe in junk 'science', so take this as no more than the anecdote it is for me, and many people I know. During those six years I spent many many hours on fertility and TTC forums. It was often shared that many women found their greatest success after incorporating exercise into their life. Those that had weight struggles and those who didn't. A good friend of mine conceived after 3 years when she began her triathlon training. I conceived every time after beginning a new exercise class. Obviously, this is anecdotal. There's no science that I know of behind this, and I certainly would never claim it is a miracle or a sure fix. I'll just say, there is hope. Its certainly no worse than the people who think they mean well who say silly things like, "you're trying too hard" or "it will happen only when you don't expect it."

Good luck. I understand your pain and struggles.

• shannon2945
    shannon2945 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a "success story". I struggled with infertility for years - several surgeries, multiple IVF rounds, etc. Went to reproductive endo expert, and he was fantastic. I was an uphill battle in his words. Stage IV endometriosis, low ovarian reserve, high FSH, advanced maternal age, you name it. I understand how hard this journey can be. Feel free to friend me if you would like.

Definitely keep up with healthiest lifestyle changes you can make. It helps health-wise, and (for me), gave me a sense of control over at least one aspect of my existence while trying to get pregnant. BTW - I now have healthy 3 year old and 15 month old. Just hang in there.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm kind of a the "product" of a success story. My mom lost a bit of weight back in the 80's and then had me. She was told she could never have kids (not sure of the reason) and she ended up with me =). She was 32 at the time.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't have any infertility experience, but I'm pretty good at this healthy lifestyle thing, so feel free to add me :) (Was 345 lbs when I delivered my son 10 months ago).
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support.. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome in 1999. I have had 3 miscarriages that I know of.
    The thing is, I have been thinner - like 120 pounds or so and still had issues getting pregnant. I am 37 now - almost 38... and 165 pounds. I have lost 13 pounds in the past month... I am just hoping and praying that losing weight will be the answer!

Hey there, I am sorry to hear of your continuing struggle. Controlling blood sugar is definitely a big component of fertility in women with PCOS. I know you've tried Metformin and Clomid, but have you considered changing your diet to one that is reduced in sugar and more anti-inflammatory? Sometimes, that can make a big difference for women (gluten is pretty notorious for causing idiopathic infertility as outlined here: http://www.celiaccentral.org/newlydiagnosed/Related-Conditions/Infertility/41/ ).

From the brief sketch of your medical history, it sounds like getting pregnant may not be the issue, but maintaining pregnancy is; which is where alternative therapies like acupuncture may be helpful (increases circulation to the uterus, promotes relaxation, releases endorphins - you can read more here: http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/features/ancient-art-of-infertility-treatment). As is speaking with a licensed naturopathic doctor who may be able to identify any immune dysfunctions that may be interfering with your ability to maintain a healthy pregnancy.

I hope you find the right support as you puzzle your way through this. It's worth asking your mother and aunts what their experiences were like, as it may give you more clues.

All the best,
    meryl
  • krustyoldhag
    Options
    meryl135 wrote: »

Hey there, I am sorry to hear of your continuing struggle. Controlling blood sugar is definitely a big component of fertility in women with PCOS. I know you've tried Metformin and Clomid, but have you considered changing your diet to one that is reduced in sugar and more anti-inflammatory? Sometimes, that can make a big difference for women (gluten is pretty notorious for causing idiopathic infertility as outlined here: http://www.celiaccentral.org/newlydiagnosed/Related-Conditions/Infertility/41/ ).

From the brief sketch of your medical history, it sounds like getting pregnant may not be the issue, but maintaining pregnancy is; which is where alternative therapies like acupuncture may be helpful (increases circulation to the uterus, promotes relaxation, releases endorphins - you can read more here: http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/features/ancient-art-of-infertility-treatment). As is speaking with a licensed naturopathic doctor who may be able to identify any immune dysfunctions that may be interfering with your ability to maintain a healthy pregnancy.

I hope you find the right support as you puzzle your way through this. It's worth asking your mother and aunts what their experiences were like, as it may give you more clues.

All the best,
    meryl

Thanks for your advise! I have been on a low-inflammatory diet for a while, even did a veggie juice fast for 30 days!
    Did acupuncture for over a year and took all the nasty Chinese herb tinctures. I saw a fertility doctor a while back. Only thing I haven't done is see a naturopathic doctor.
    So far as my mom and other family members... Well, I was one of 7, my sis has 5, other sis has 3, grandma on my dads side - 13 kids!!!! ... all "Fertile Mertile" by every means! LOL
    Ugh, it's just frustrating! I do tend to get agitated easily and I am neurotic and up tight.. but stress does that.
    I am taking a whole food based prenatal, zinc, calcium, magnesium, vit D, iodine, Omega 3's, probiotic, fiber, ACV, and have cut out sugar completely. My blood glucose has never been an issue. I still test it periodically and it's all good. I just had my A1c tested, but haven't got the results of that. I drink 124 oz of water daily and I had my BMR tested - I'm at 1,247 calories burned at rest. So, to lose I am on a medically supervised 1,000 calorie eating plan. Low carb - under 100g and around 80g of protein. So far I have lost 14 pounds.
    Anyway, that's what I am dealing with... <3
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Apologies for this probably stupid question...you are sure your partner is fertile? Did he get checked? Just wondering as everybody in your family seems to not have a problem.
  • krustyoldhag
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Apologies for this probably stupid question...you are sure your partner is fertile? Did he get checked? Just wondering as everybody in your family seems to not have a problem.

Yes, We have been "check out" by a fertility doctor. All is well on my husbands end. I have him taking daily supplements like zinc and fish oils, just to keep him healthy. He's a healthy weight and has no real health issues! Lucky!!!! :)
  • jsombutmai
    Options
    Wow, took me a while to get through this whole thread. I'm sorry that you're in my boat! I wish I had a success story for you, but I'm happy to just be here for you. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was a teen, but back then, it wasn't really known about the link to insulin resistance. Flashforward and now I'm starting to really pay attention. I need to lose weight. I know I need to exercise, particularly strength training (I lose mad weight when I get my lift on), but I use stress as an excuse for bad eating and not showing up to the gym :( Anyway, good luck to you, and baby dust too!
  • Tmm10910
    Tmm10910 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So sorry to learn that you are struggling with infertility. It is not a fun place to be. We have been trying for about 3 years, have unexplained infertility, and preparing for our 2nd round of IVF in April. I am trying to lose a bit of weight to be in better shape and possibly help increase our odds of it finally working this time. In the last few months I have been getting more into yoga and I find that it has helped clear my mind, de-stress, and relax a bit more.