No exercise & weight loss?

Options
Has anyone ever lost weight and did no exercising?

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 pounds down and done precious little in terms of exercise. Weight loss has far more to do with diet than exercise, but exercise will help the process move along and keep things from getting all jiggly (that's the scientific term).
  • jbot30
    jbot30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 60lb down in about 6 months with only calorie deficit but I do need to firm up so I wish I'd done weights at the same time.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    This summer I went from 212 to 181 without exercise while recovering from my second c-section.

Exercise has health benefits, help maintain muscle mass, give you a higher TDEE and can help achieve a desired look. To lose weight, you really only need a calorie deficit.
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you. I'm older & find I am not as flexible as I use to be. That is what I should of done after my surgery is just do the calorie deficit. Now I'm healed & I'm trying to get back to working out again.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit = weight loss...
    you don't need to exercise. Exercise is not the big component of weight loss. so ... "yes"

IOW: S2s nailed it (and good work, btw)
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    During the beginning of my weight loss, I had just watched what I ate and reduced my soda & fast food intake. And in my first month, I lost 8 pounds. Since then, I now exercise. From June 22nd to last week, I have been primarily running. I had lost 22 pounds from completing C25k and doing 10 weeks of C210k.

As an outdoor runner, I haven't been able to really do much running lately.

I started Insanity this last week so I had a way to still lose weight until the end of the year. I lost 2 pounds & 3 inches, surprisingly :)
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Of course you can loose weight without exercise, though skin get flabby. let me put it this way, my friend decided to loose weight only by keeping calorie intake to a minimum, in about three months she'd lost about 17 kg but her arms and thighs got flabby. I was working out not restricting calories. Hardly lost anything weight wise in a year , though I lost inches ( sadly didn't take measurements) and got toned.
    So, to sum it up, its best u use both methods at the same time.
    Hope that helps.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, have lost weight in the past without adding activity. This time around, I started with just making sure I did the minimum - walking 20 minutes and standing for a total of an hour each day. It made a difference. I continue to add activity but don't live in a gym. The good thing about adding activity is it helps me sleep. Sleep helps my mental game in making good choices in everything. It's all about the balance.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    hiphop10 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever lost weight and did no exercising?

Yes, you lose weight in the kitchen. Exercise certainly can help boost your metabolism - which burns more calories and enhances the side of the equation of (CICO) that supports running a deficit. You can also boost your metabolism in the kitchen with spices.

Either way works. Calories in vs. calories out with food selection only. Or, calories in vs. calories out in combination with some form of exercise. The latter, most would agree, would be a healthy approach to one's lifestyle. Even mild exercise such as walking, lawn work, etc... pays handsome benefits.
  • River83
    River83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is yoga considered a workout? My boyfriend said it's not it's stretching. I feel it's both.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I did it after my 2nd kid. You don't get to eat as much and you'll lose more muscle than if you did exercise (strength training). I looked about the same at 145lbs as I do at 155lbs with muscle.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    yoga is awesome. sure it's "stretching", but flexibility is an important of any wellness plan. while the "caloric expenditure" may not be there, it's hugely important to work on flexibility.

and it's active, it's social, it requires some level of commitment to it. Has many of the elements, if not all, of a programmed "exercise" routine.

how about this: for awesomeness, YES it's akin to a workout. for commitment etc, ABSOLUTELY. for caloric expenditure, not necessarily, but so what? it can be part of a programmed "active recovery" day and fit beautifully into the mix.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    ALL that is required for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

There are tons of other benefits to exercise, and to eating more nutritious foods and balancing macros for various goals. Those things can certainly help, and can make you fitter and healthier.

But ALL that is required for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thank you. I'm older & find I am not as flexible as I use to be. That is what I should of done after my surgery is just do the calorie deficit. Now I'm healed & I'm trying to get back to working out again.

As the others have said you can do it just on food deficit, but its much better if you start to exercise because of how it complements diet and improves health. I wouldnt ignore these benefits.

Walking is exercise, it doesnt all have to be gym and you should take baby steps. Ask the hopsital for a decent phstio so they can assign you exercises that match your ability and take into account your health. Just walking ten minutes a day more can help a lot. When you feel comfy then you can start with the gym. many gyms are community ones where you might feel more comfy. Dont worry too much everyone is there for the same reason and it gets easier as your confidence grows. Everyone starts somewhere.
  • matchsetgame
    matchsetgame Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've done it while injured. If there's a low impact activity you can do (like pool walking or just walking in general), try to add it in. There are major heart benefits from just taking walks (in fact, it's believed to be better to walk for 30 minutes a couple of days a week then do the same amount of running less times a week. With that, it's better to walk 15 minutes twice a day than 30 once.) Find a little way to add exercise if you can and focus on the food if that's what's going to work for you.

As a girl who had a hurt shoulder and two bad knees, let me tell you there's always something you can do! :)
    If you cannot do high impact, think about yoga or swimming.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I am about that age.

I maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight and work out to try and hold onto muscle, which decreases with age. (Sarcopenia, if we wanna be fancy). Anyone's progress depends greatly on how they were before surgery. If you were working out regularly, then it will be easier to jump back in. If it has been some decades, of course it will take longer.

When I started (after decades of nothing) I was shocked that I could only do 3 minutes on an ellipical trainer. Over months that has improved.

You are starting and the best thing you can do is log everything you eat every day Even if you are over your calorie limit, just log. It will make you aware of your food triggers and what you might choose to change.

You can do this.
  • Gmemacho
    Options
    Without exercise you will suffered your body.. your body need nutrient that come from food. The best is you take appropriate calorie and burn it with exercise.... don't skip meal for weight loss.. eat every 4 hours in small portion and exercise a lot...
  • Gmemacho
    Options
    Any movement is exercise... do as much as and as fast as you can but don't force yourself.. have a rest if you feel tired...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Gmemacho wrote: »
    Without exercise you will suffered your body.. your body need nutrient that come from food. The best is you take appropriate calorie and burn it with exercise.... don't skip meal for weight loss.. eat every 4 hours in small portion and exercise a lot...

Current science does not support meal timing having any impact on weight loss, except as it might affect satiety. For example, if you find that skipping breakfast and waiting til lunch time helps you not to overeat for the day, then do that. If you find that skipping breakfast sets you up to be starving by lunch time and you end up snacking all day and going over your calories, then don't do that. I personally find that eating breakfast causes me to be hungry again sooner than if I skip it. Check into intermittent fasting if you'd like more information on how that works, but regardless, the important thing is the number of calories you have from the time you wake up til the time you go to bed, no matter what time those calories are consumed or whether you eat them in all in one meal or spread them over 6, or anywhere in between.
  • Gmemacho
    Options
    You know your body best... if you skip meal you body will send signal that you are fasting then reduce your metabolisme rate... not good for weight loss..