Salad Ideas?

Options
Hey fellas! So, my college dining hall has a pretty extensive salad bar, full of all sorts of vegetables, protein sources, and dressings. All the skinny girls seem to have these delicious looking, well crafted salads on their plate. And after being yelled at for the five millionth time by my boyfriend about the kind of food I eat, it's time I started making use of the salad bar. So I'm curious, what are your favorite make-your-own salad recipes?

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Never iceberg lettuce - I always use Spinach or mixed greens for my base - and then every kind of vegetable available in my kitchen, plus chicken and a non creamy dressing <-- cuz those are ususally higher in calories. Done. I try to have a salad at least once a day to get my veggie servings in.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Dandelion greens are excellent, and easy to grow.
  • harakiri01
    harakiri01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For my favorite salad I use spinach leaves, cherry/small roma tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, kalamata olives and dried cranberries. Doesn't need dressing. Then can also add chicken or any other vegetables you may like.
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have two favorites. The first is iceberg lettuce (not a big spinach fan), tomatoes, cucumbers, about half a can of tuna mixed with a tablespoon of mayo, and a chopped up hard boiled egg. Add salt and pepper and you're done! I LOVE this salad.

The second has the same veggies; iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Then I cube some chicken breast, add a TON of cilantro, a handful of spring onions, and some salt and pepper... Mix until the cubes are coated and bake. Then, yogurt dressing: I use one cup of skimmed yogurt, half of a tiny garlic clove, a handful of cilantro, a handful of spring onions, mix well. Let it sit for a day in advance if you have the time. This is my all-time favorite! You probably can't get this one at your salad bar, but I figured maybe you might want to try it out at home ;)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am very simple when it comes to salads. Where I come from a typical salad means onions+tomatos+ lemon juice. Some cucumber if you got them but we don't always.

I am however a big fan of spices on my salad vs. dressings. Fatoush (Lebanese style salads) use a spice called "Summack" on lettuce, tomatos, cucumbers, some pita chips and little onions and it is absolutely delicious. Kinda tangy taste summac has and its pretty good. Not sure if the salad bar will have it though.

Besides this, I also like greek salads with some feta. BIG fan of bean salads. I just suggest trying everything out and seeing which one hits the spot for you. Spread it out though, same salad day in and out will get boring soon :)
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Some of these sound really delicious! I especially like the idea of spices instead of dressing--I have a bottle of my mom's homemade Indian spice blend in my room, and this would give me a chance to test it out.
  • malavika413
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I've heard wonderful things about dandelion greens, but they aren't available where I am. Just iceberg and spinach. But I'll try them out when I can!
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Spinach, feta, cherry/grape tomatoes, and if I feel really saucy that day, slivered almonds and dried cranberries (these two are totally optional). Top with roasted or grilled chicken (or believe it or not, drained canned tuna is good) and raspberry vinaigrette or balsamic vinaigrette. Done :)
  • malavika413
    Options
    Spinach, feta, cherry/grape tomatoes, and if I feel really saucy that day, slivered almonds and dried cranberries (these two are totally optional). Top with roasted or grilled chicken (or believe it or not, drained canned tuna is good) and raspberry vinaigrette or balsamic vinaigrette. Done :)

Yum! I love all these ingredients--well, except cherry tomatoes. But I'll add diced tomatoes instead.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that any food can be thrown into a salad. :)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that any food can be thrown into a salad. :)

Me too.
  • jessiwithaneye
    jessiwithaneye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been making stir-fried veggies and quinoa, and then eating that on top of a bed of greens (kale or spinach, usually). it's like a warm side salad that's more, sort of...underneath.
  • thebrutechoir
    Options
    Lately my favorite has been: smoked chicken, apple, chick peas and corn. The way I make it it's under 200 calories, but very yummy and quite filling.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I've heard wonderful things about dandelion greens, but they aren't available where I am. Just iceberg and spinach. But I'll try them out when I can!

Dude, you can grow them yourself, seriously. Get one of those odd little plastic fiber reusable bags from like Trader Joes, right? Put dirt in it, add dandelion seeds (free from any park) and water them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Wait...are you in IL like your profile says? I don't understand how only iceberg and spinach are available.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Are you not in IL like your profile says? There are other types of greens besides spinach and iceberg there.
  • malavika413
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Wait...are you in IL like your profile says? I don't understand how only iceberg and spinach are available.

I do live in IL, but I eat from a college dining hall. Only iceberg and spinach are offered.
  • malavika413
    Options

Dude, you can grow them yourself, seriously. Get one of those odd little plastic fiber reusable bags from like Trader Joes, right? Put dirt in it, add dandelion seeds (free from any park) and water them.

Would that be possible to do inside a college dorm room? Because that's where I currently live.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I do live in IL, but I eat from a college dining hall. Only iceberg and spinach are offered.

Oh wow. I don't miss that. Spinach is good though.
  • arditarose
    Options

Would that be possible to do inside a college dorm room? Because that's where I currently live.

I knew some people who grew mushrooms in dorm rooms, so possibly.