2 Questions you get when you lose weight

Options

Replies

• apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I tell people the truth. I appreciate it that people have noticed. My fat friends have told me not to lose any more. My slim friends tell me to keep going. I am paying attention to the latter.

Yes, I get this too. People will tell me not to lose any more weight or I will look bad?! I am certainly not going to let anyone stop me when I am so very close to my goal. But I like to avoid confrontation, so I tend to lie and say that I'm not trying to lose anymore. They probably will never know the difference anyway since I only have +/- 10lbs to go.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    most people that have mentioned my weight loss don't ask for a specific number... but most -do- ask how. when i say calorie counting, many of them see wildly disappointed that i haven't discovered the miracle weight loss pill everyone is waiting around for.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I Figure if I let the person know how much weight I lost, I could possibly be an inspiration for another individual to loose weight!
    Dedication, Motivation will create SELF WORTH!
    #NeverGiveUp
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I say it's all due to MFP and watching Korean dramas while I'm on the treadmill. Many have heard or used MFP, but I haven't talked to anyone who watches kdramas. An hour (or more) is a treat when watching Lee Min Ho!
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread. When I hit goal, I fear that people I know won't believe me when I tell them the "secret" to weight loss. Everyone seems to want a magic answer. I've recently had a friend try to sell me some kind of weight loss pill pyramid scheme garbage. It really made me feel like no one believes in me.

Congrats to everyone on their loss and hard work!
  • sartezalb
    sartezalb Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I generally don't answer the "weight lost" question. It usually elicits a slightly shocked expression followed by concerned advice: "Well, don't lose too much!"

I find this particularly bewildering with my med school colleagues: we all have the same education, and we all have a sense of what the healthy limits are. If they took a few seconds to think about it, they would probably recognize that I wouldn't do anything to frankly endanger myself.

I think it illustrates a particular sort of angst: people want healthy bodies, but they don't want to be the one person who condones weight loss that happens to be pathological. Better to "play it safe" and caution against "excess" loss, even if it's being done at an acceptable pace within normal bounds.
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I call it the pie diet. Less pie in the pie hole!
    best answer ever!
    I do tell how much I have lost, because I am proud of myself. As for the How? I used to say the old fashioned way- pills and vomiting! now I get all dramatic, tell them to listen closely and just say- eat less and move more.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Nosy family members are the only ones who have asked how much I weigh. But they opened the can of worms, so I'll brag until they walk away. I'm now the "skinny one" in the whole family, including all the in-laws, everyone shorter and younger than me.

There is a tiny part of me that wants to be able to say I've lost 40 lbs, but I'm happy with my size and shape.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    When someone asks me if I have lost weight, I respond with "No, I just left it at home today."
    omg that's hilarious :D:D
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    JaneECS wrote: »
    I'm quite happy to say what I have lost, but not what I weigh - I am happy however, to say what dress size I was and what size I am now.
    Yep I'm with you on that one. I hate when people ask me what I weigh now
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have no problem telling anyone how much I have lost.
    And about the how I say always exactly the same:
    "Less and different eating, more exercise - that's it. There is no magic pill."
    - People generally nod but seem kind of disappointed. ;)
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I like the Ptffd answer best. Lol. Definitely think this site helps as makes it easier to track your calories which is the secret.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    stealing the PTFFD answer...I usually laugh when they ask "HOW"...I work with med professionals...I'm a ball-buster so I usually say "aren't YOUU the doctor?? You should know how I did it..."

I get more irked by the 'you look skinny' comment: I usually tell them "No, this is what HEALTHY and FIT looks like. Would you tell a fat person they look fat? Telling me I'm skinny is just as offensive."
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. They are obviously jealous as they wold like to lose weight too but they are too lazy to do it. Also they probably didn't think you would have been better than them! Brag about, you deserve it ;) Not sure why you are uncomfortable though..
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    The funniest one for me a few years ago was when someone asked me if she could lose as much weight as I did (60lbs at that point) but NOT change her eating habits or do any exercise. I don't know how I managed not to laugh in her face.

No one wants to hear CICO. They want the magic pill.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I've heard just about every comment now. I've even been asked if I have Cancer, and if I deliberately lost this amount of weight. I've lost 70kg (154lbs). I'm happy to tell people how much I've lost, but then I often get asked how much I weigh now. My answer is always 70kg (or how much I've lost) less than I used to weigh. Or... in other words, none of their business.

And absolutely nobody ever wants to hear that there was hard work involved and no magic pills or weight loss surgery. But it's not my problem if they don't want to put the hard work in!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I never get those questions, but these two: Do I still eat, and did I lose weight on purpose? I'd like to answer yes, I still eat, or else I'd be dead, and yes, I didn't really enjoy being fat. But I'm too polite.

If anybody had asked me how much I've lost, I'd tell them, and if I were to tell them that losing weight is all about calorie deficit, they would lose interest fast.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've heard just about every comment now. I've even been asked if I have Cancer, and if I deliberately lost this amount of weight. I've lost 70kg (154lbs). I'm happy to tell people how much I've lost, but then I often get asked how much I weigh now. My answer is always 70kg (or how much I've lost) less than I used to weigh. Or... in other words, none of their business.

And absolutely nobody ever wants to hear that there was hard work involved and no magic pills or weight loss surgery. But it's not my problem if they don't want to put the hard work in!

^^^ Yes!

I have been asked if I'm terminally ill as well.

And when people ask me what I weigh now, my answer is either "105 lbs less than when I started" or "the same as what I weighed when I got married 25 years ago".

• lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't mind telling people how much I have lost and how much I have to go if they really want to know. I do not; however, tell them my weight. I have lost about 45lbs and have 24 to go.

When asked how I have done it I tell them. 3-4 days of heavy cardio and 2-3 days of toning/strengthening every week. I am eating more clean foods and I measure and weight everything.

Oddly, or maybe not oddly, there are a few that question whether I will be able to keep up with the "diet". To those I tell them it is not a diet. It is a way of eating that I will be able to maintain for life.

22975671.png

• _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't have any problems answering those questions. I was never ashamed of my weight, never made fun of in school so I have nothing negative to compare my weight too. Hell, I go around telling people who much I've lost before they can even ask me because I'm proud of it. As far as telling them what I'm doing, I just explain that I've changed my lifestyle and count calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!