2 Questions you get when you lose weight

Options
amisbest
amisbest Posts: 38 Member
edited November 2014 in Success Stories
I have lost about 45 lbs and I regularly get the same two questions. How much weight have you lost and how have you done it. I actually feel a little uncomfortable answering the first. Do you? I always answer the second question the same way. "I use the ELF diet" (Eat Less Food) Then I say just counting calories. Do you give out your weight loss info in numbers?

Replies

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I say by eating smaller portions and exercising more.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I call it the pie diet. Less pie in the pie hole!
  • Pootle2002
    Pootle2002 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just say that I eat less and move more! I will always say what I have lost as I am proud of what I have done and want to share...in fact if I could I would tell everyone I meet but that's not always appropriate lol

But, we are all different and if you don't like sharing that information it's entirely up to you :) x
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of people asking how much weight I have lost or how much I weigh, mostly because I was taught it was rude to ask. It's not so much that I care to share the information so I answer anyways. I don't get "how have you done it?" too often. I think mostly because the ones asking are co-workers and they have seen me get ready for runs and know I go to the gym a lot.
  • cutierozie
    cutierozie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I say crack and then I laugh. I then follow by saying I do the things everyone knows they should be doing to lose weight. Count my calories and exercise. No secret, no short cut.
  • cutierozie
    cutierozie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do share my weight loss weight number with people if asked. I worked hard to lose them and I'm proud so why not? It motivates people for the most part.
  • JaneECS
    JaneECS Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm quite happy to say what I have lost, but not what I weigh - I am happy however, to say what dress size I was and what size I am now.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    "ELF diet" makes me think of this:

XKtQ9L4UJ1j5S.gif
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ^^^ LOL
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Canned sarcastic answers that I use that are guaranteed to elicit shock:

1) Be as casual as you can and say "tapeworm eggs"
    2) A slight more "true" answer, but still sarcastic: "The PTFFD diet". If they ask - "Put The F---ing Fork Down"
    3) For the big money just shrug shift your eyes a bit and say quietly "clenbuterol"

Once the shock wears off I'll usually just tell them the disappointing truth: eat less, move more.
  • IncredibleShrinkingSandy
    Options
    Tell them you have a secret weapon and when they ask what it is simply say, "bulimia." And walk away.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I say, "its boring, you don't want to know". If they insist I tell them I count calories. When they ask (as most do because they don't want to count calories) "do you walk a lot too" I disappoint and tell them, no, I count calories. Most often eyes glaze over at that point so we're done.

I also will tell how much I've lost and what I weigh now. Its kind of "freeing" for lack of a better way to put it, to be able to say "I weigh 176" instead of being ashamed (again for lack of a better word) like I was for years. I usually add, "and I'm not done". By now the eyes are really glazing over!

Once in a while I do make a difference for someone though, especially when I explain how a food scale works. And when that person tells me later that its working for them too, I feel really good.

55835802.png
  • The0dora07
    The0dora07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tell them lifestyle change! Lots of good food and hard work :) But great job! this is a good issue to have to worry about
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people how much I lost - the number wasn't that big compared to some on this site and although it was significant to me, it doesn't reflect what I look like.

I also don't tell people what to do. Everyone knows that. All that conversation does is give the other person an opportunity to say why it won't work for them.

Yesterday, someone said that I looked really good - hot, actually. They said I always looked good, but something had definitely changed. I liked that.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't mind sharing how much I lost. I am very proud of it. When I answer the second question with "I counted calories", I usually get a feeling of disappointment from them. Did they want to hear I have a "magic pill?"
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I don't have any issue with either question. 'How much weight have you lost?' is much better than 'How much do you weigh now?' The how did you do it question is usually the conversation stopper - most people want to hear something about magic beans or following the rainbow, instead of counting calories or portion control.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Tell them you have a secret weapon and when they ask what it is simply say, "bulimia." And walk away.

Yup - like my "clenbuterol" statement. Get's em every time. :)
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I laugh and say I lost it all with hopes and dreams. Or if they're the kind of person that I don't really like I just say, no idea it just happened!!!!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    What? I've lost weight? Where? lol
    Seriously though, I don't mind answering either of them. But it is true that as soon as I say "counting calories and barely exercising", I've lost them halfway to a burst bubble...
  • amisbest
    amisbest Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    "ELF diet" makes me think of this:

XKtQ9L4UJ1j5S.gif

Hilarious !!! Thanks
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!