protein shakes - when to have them?

Options
Hi everybody. I am low on protein, and would like to start adding a shake to my daily intake (among other things) to help up my protein intake. I was wondering if you can enlighten me about protein shakes, specifically when they should be drunk? Right after a workout? Before a workout? Just some general information is all I'm looking for. :) Thank you!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For most people - and especially in your case, where you're using it just to supplement overall protein intake - it doesn't matter at all. What/when-ever works for you.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I drink mine after a workout.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink them just after a workout, but I don't think it really matters.
  • LLeighton1955
    Options
    I have 'heard' that mid afternoon is best
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    whenever you want :)
  • donnamwebb39
    donnamwebb39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you do work out, drink it after; if not then any time is good. Be careful with the type of protein shake you get - many premixed shakes have a lot of sugars in them. I would suggest a protein powder (whey protein) if protein is your goal. Other shakes, like Special K or SlimFast are more meal replacements, than additions. Good luck with your goals.
  • rahulmehta08
    rahulmehta08 Posts: 2,506 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Best time to have it is between the heavy meals as I read on several blogs..after the workout too is great one..
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I used to be of the view after a workout, but have revised that to the overall level of portein intake is more important. It is food and it has calories, so treat it as such.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Anytime you want. There is no special timing.

Yep. During weekdays, I usually have mine for breakfast, as it's portable for the morning commute. Or sometimes, I'm not hungry for breakfast, and I save it for afternoon snack (keeps me from emptying out the vending machine at school, lol). Weekends, I have one in the evening if I'm short on protein for the day. No magical schedule is necessary for protein.
  • amrelmesery
    amrelmesery Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    whenever you want
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make mine every morning for breakfast. Each has 4 ingredients I toss into a blender. The first three are a base that I always use, and the 4th ingredient I change up based on what I'm feeling like, or what is on sale at the store.
    1. A banana - I don't change this
    2. 3 Tablespoons low-fat, low sugar, Greek Yogurt - flavored or not, your preference
    3. 1 scoop Whey protein powder - or whatever a serving size is.
    4. Some other fruit or veggie. Lately I'm on a strawberry kick, but I've used blackberries, blueberries, fresh spinach, peaches, you name it. Makes for interesting and vibrant colors

I'll add some water to thin it out if it's too thick - usually a problem with really fresh bananas.

Add me, my diet is open, and you can see that I have this pretty much every morning.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Casein shake in the morning for breakfast usually with oats/fruit mixed in, and maybe another right before bed if I need to fill out my protein macro.

Whey shake after working out.
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you VERY much, everyone. I appreciate your input!! :)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Casein shake in the morning for breakfast usually with oats/fruit mixed in, and maybe another right before bed if I need to fill out my protein macro.

Whey shake after working out.

If that's what you do that's fine but it's not a rule.

That's good... because I never said it was.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you are putting in a significant workout, you should consume protein within 30 minutes afterwards. Other than that, it doesn't matter.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If you are putting in a significant workout, you should consume protein within 30 minutes afterwards.

A4cu8.jpg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I usually have mine shortly after my lifting session along with an apple or banana and usually some kind of trail mix or something. I'm generally starving about 15-20 minutes or so after lifting...if I don't do that, I'll get home and eat everything...kid you not, I will empty the cupboards.