A tip among tips! I wish I did this sooner!

2»

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    EK00001 wrote: »
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    I generally only use quick add as way to estimate until I am able to input a recipe. Made some baked oatmeal last night, tried a bit to make sure it tasted good enough to share, but didn't input the recipe right away. Did a quick add of 200 until I was able to put in the recipe and find that it was actually only 170. Speaking as a mother, if you want to be accurate and lose weight, help your mother cook. And if you aren't there while she is cooking ask her to write down her recipes or save the boxes from packaged foods. At 18 years old you need to take on some responsibilty for your self and stop finding excuses to not log appropriately

Thanks for the tip. I am learning to cook. The best I can do SO FAR is cook rice, boil eggs, make steamed vegetables, and that's about it. Cooking meat is hard, so it'll take me time to learn how. I've never the recipe feature before. It sounds useful.

It's not really that hard. Take it out of the package (assuming defrosted already if it was frozen), heat oven up to like 350-425 and maybe cover with tin foil, add seasoning if desired, bake until it's no longer raw inside, eat? And then things like burgers you just form the meat into patties, flatten them, put on medium-heat skillet for a few minutes or longer each side (longer if you want it well done, I leave it on one side until it looks like it's starting to brown up the sides really well) then flip, leave a bit, eat?

You know you can ask your mom to help you cook if you don't know how to do something. That's always what I did and have done still if I'm unsure of something (e.g. is this meat still good based on smell re: leftovers, how hot should I put the oven to, what consistency are pancakes batters supposed to usually be, etc).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I do log everything. Once in a blue moon I forget to weigh an ingredient before I add it and have to guess, but my guesses are pretty good now because I've been doing this for a while AND paying attention.

I agree with the person who said that it might be easier for you to lower your calorie goal. That will skip the having to enter a Quick Add every day.

If what you're doing works for you, though, that's the best way to do it!
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Get with your mom and have her teach you how to cook. Otherwise when you're out on your own, you'll have to rely on takeaway and sodium-filled frozen dinners. Not a good foundation for a healthy lifestyle. You have to look at all this as a long term, sustainable future. Learn to cook. It'll impress the ladies, too. ;-)
  • ana3067 wrote: »
    I generally only use quick add as way to estimate until I am able to input a recipe. Made some baked oatmeal last night, tried a bit to make sure it tasted good enough to share, but didn't input the recipe right away. Did a quick add of 200 until I was able to put in the recipe and find that it was actually only 170. Speaking as a mother, if you want to be accurate and lose weight, help your mother cook. And if you aren't there while she is cooking ask her to write down her recipes or save the boxes from packaged foods. At 18 years old you need to take on some responsibilty for your self and stop finding excuses to not log appropriately

Thanks for the tip. I am learning to cook. The best I can do SO FAR is cook rice, boil eggs, make steamed vegetables, and that's about it. Cooking meat is hard, so it'll take me time to learn how. I've never the recipe feature before. It sounds useful.

It's not really that hard. Take it out of the package (assuming defrosted already if it was frozen), heat oven up to like 350-425 and maybe cover with tin foil, add seasoning if desired, bake until it's no longer raw inside, eat? And then things like burgers you just form the meat into patties, flatten them, put on medium-heat skillet for a few minutes or longer each side (longer if you want it well done, I leave it on one side until it looks like it's starting to brown up the sides really well) then flip, leave a bit, eat?

You know you can ask your mom to help you cook if you don't know how to do something. That's always what I did and have done still if I'm unsure of something (e.g. is this meat still good based on smell re: leftovers, how hot should I put the oven to, what consistency are pancakes batters supposed to usually be, etc).

What olive oil, etc? How do I know how much I need to put on certain foods? What works best for you? (The patty thing can come in handy)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »

What olive oil, etc? How do I know how much I need to put on certain foods? What works best for you? (The patty thing can come in handy)
    Yes, oil for pan frying things. However much will cover the pan. some people like to use a lot, I just use enough to cover the bottom of the pan (usually a few ml).

I think you should start offering to cook meals with your mom, because learning to cook is really quite easy. Google is also helpful.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    My husband brought me coffee yesterday morning that he made at home... he measured the sugar and half and half he put into it for me. He's done it before too. He keeps a tally in his head of how much he used of things so I can input it properly. Seriously though, I'm sure if you let your mom know why she shouldn't be too opposed. If my kids were trying to be healthier by logging I would happily write down what I put in (they're too young for that yet though).

And yeah, learning to cook is a good thing to do. You'll need that skill later in life.
  • ana3067 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

Yes, oil for pan frying things. However much will cover the pan. some people like to use a lot, I just use enough to cover the bottom of the pan (usually a few ml).

I think you should start offering to cook meals with your mom, because learning to cook is really quite easy. Google is also helpful.

Thanks for your advice!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Oil can add flavors and will prevent meat from sticking to uncoated cookware. If you use non-stick pans, you don't actually NEED to add oils, butter, lard or anything at all.

I taught myself to cook without Internet or cable TV. I bought food and cooked it. For a long time, I didn't even have a cookbook, lol. Since there was nobody to tell me that I should add oils, butter or lard to the pan, I didn't. I still don't.

I also throw all kind of stuff into the pan.

Some of my favorite things to eat are things I learned to make by trial and error.

Have some fun with cooking. Try things out. See what flavors you like mixing together. Over time, you learn how much of something to toss in just by doing it.