Difference between green tea capsules and green tea extract capsules??

Options
Hi! Does anyone know the difference between green tea capsules and green tea extract capsules -- and which one is more beneficial?? Thanks!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    They both are snake oil and do absolutely nothing.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Not entirely true. They are green tea, they would have some benefit.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

What benefit? :huh:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It seems the real benefit of green tea is the taste, so I'd recommend just drinking it. Other than that... I guess the difference might be how much money you waste?
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The extract would be stronger. However, If it helped with weight loss, MFP would have shut down years ago. But a hot cup of green tea or a glass of iced green tea is mighty nice. ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi! Does anyone know the difference between green tea capsules and green tea extract capsules -- and which one is more beneficial?? Thanks!
    Neither is any benefit to weight loss, except for your wallet.

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Not for weight loss. The only benefit is if you like the taste or like caffeine.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've taken green tea extract pills and saw no results. The studies that have linked caffeine to weight loss have been "poorly done or performed on animals." x

But hey, maybe you'll get some antioxidants.
  • MariaDublin
    MariaDublin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, but I guess I should have been more specific. I wasn't asking in regards to weight loss, just simply for health benefits. I know green tea is good for you, but I hate tea, so I was just wondering which is better between the green tea capsules and the green tea extract capsules.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know green tea is good for you...

How do you know that?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    One is promoted by charlatans and the other is promoted by crooks.

Seriously though. The weight loss benefit is miniscule, you would get more benefit by just walk 5 extra minutes a day. As for health benefits, there are many things with the same benefits that you may like eating or drinking if you don't like green tea. No need to part with your hard earned money when there are cheaper and simpler alternatives.

If you are after caffeine, drink coffee, and if you are after flavonoids, virtually all fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices contain flavonoids. If you are after the specific flavonoid green tea is famous for, have blackberries, dark chocolate, black grapes.. etc.

• MariaDublin
    Options
    Seriously? Boy, I just asked a simple question (for the first time since I joined in March) and I didn't expect antagonistic/smirky replies. Sorry for posting. (But to answer your question, Mr. Knight, I KNOW that by READING extensively and LISTENING to credible sources like my doctors and surgeons at the University of Michigan Hospital and Mayo Clinic. I know that green tea is better than soda pop and fruit juices. It's not rocket science.)
  • MariaDublin
    Options
    Thank you, AmusedMonkey!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    But to answer your question, Mr. Knight, I KNOW that by READING extensively and LISTENING to credible sources like my doctors and surgeons at the University of Michigan Hospital and Mayo Clinic.

The Mayo Clinic has never endorsed green tea as a treatment or cure for anything. And here's a quote from the American Cancer Society...
    However, results from human studies of green tea when used as a whole herb have been mixed. More research is needed to find out if green tea can help in any kind of cancer prevention.

And then you wrote...
    I know that green tea is better than soda pop and fruit juices.

Even that statement is not universally true.

So again I ask...how do you "know" that green tea is good for you?
    It's not rocket science.

So far, it's more religion than anything else, frankly.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I like green tea. It's tasty.

I also like smirking.

smirk.gif

Crappy "capsules" are not the same as drinking tea.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Seriously? Boy, I just asked a simple question (for the first time since I joined in March) and I didn't expect antagonistic/smirky replies. Sorry for posting. (But to answer your question, Mr. Knight, I KNOW that by READING extensively and LISTENING to credible sources like my doctors and surgeons at the University of Michigan Hospital and Mayo Clinic. I know that green tea is better than soda pop and fruit juices. It's not rocket science.)

I'd just like to ask, how is green tea "better" than soda pop and fruit juices, assuming you're impartial to the tastes of all three?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I'd just like to ask, how is green tea "better" than soda pop and fruit juices, assuming you're impartial to the tastes of all three?

Well, soda and fruit juices do have calories, tea not so much. Tea is a good option if you're looking to cut back on drinking your caloric allotment for the day.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options

Well, soda and fruit juices do have calories, tea not so much. Tea is a good option if you're looking to cut back on drinking your caloric allotment for the day.

So we're essentially saying green tea is healthier because it contains less calories than soda pop and fruit juices per serving, i.e. the item with more calories is immediately more unhealthy than one with less?