HIITs vs steady cardio

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I'm going to use the machine's numbers, I know they're not accurate, but it's a good point of comparison...

When I do HIITs, I'm just beat after 25 minutes, and will burn about 280-300 calories. But when I do steady cardio, I can go for an hour and burn 500-550... I know that HIITs are supposedly better for you, but from a pure calorie burn point of view... is it really worth it? Time is typically not an issue, but I need the calorie burn.

It's just a bit disheartening to go all out and be totally beat after 25 minutes to burn less than 300 calories.

Replies

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Short answer - You continue to burn calories thought the day(recovery) after your done with HIIT and there's fat loss benefits. You generally only burn what you did during exercise with steady/slow paced cardio. Both are good to do. Research and google.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Interesting - I guess I'll just alternate each one. Thanks!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OK, first. You do not stop burning calories after you stop a LSD (long slow distance...or steady state cardio session). If you want to know how long you continue to burn calories, wear a heart rate monitor. After you drop back into your normal zone, you are back to burning based on your RMR (resting metabolic rate). That's the same way for a HIIT session, by the way. Once you have dropped back into your normal zone, your burn rate is the same as your normal activity level.
    Now, which do you prefer? What's your goal. HIIT isn't "better." HIIT workouts are just different. Why do you think endurance athletes rely on LSD workouts? You can't train for a marathon by doing only HIIT workouts.
    Your idea of alternating is a good one, but you can change your workouts based on your goals. So, the short answer is what do you want to accomplish?
    Me? I'm trying to get back into competitive triathlon shape. HIIT workouts can have their place in the off season, or mid-season as an addition to my longer sessions. It's all about what you want.
  • Francl27
    Options
    My goal is just to lose a couple pounds at this point, and increase my calorie burn over time (so I can burn more calories in the same time)... So performance I guess?
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Then you are so close to your goal, it doesn't matter. HIIT workouts will get you FIT in a lot of ways that LSD workouts don't. I would use LSD workouts to supplement your HIIT training.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Short answer - You continue to burn calories thought the day(recovery) after your done with HIIT and there's fat loss benefits. You generally only burn what you did during exercise with steady/slow paced cardio. Both are good to do. Research and google.

This, this and this. Steady cardio is nice in rest days but for beneficial exercise HIIT and lift stuff!
  • dug3fresh
    dug3fresh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Something is better then anything but there are multiple studies lately showing that HIIT is better the Slow steady cardio. 1st as already stated is it elevates your metabolism and gives you a elevated calorie need for recovery. 2 if you are doing any Weight Training as part of you weight loss regime HIIT is extremely complimentary as it works in and Anaerobic zone which will not be contradictory to you muscle gain.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you should be doing both, if your goal is to be a faster runner. you want to build endurance and speed, but you can't be expected to do both at the same time. do one long and slow run a week, one medium tempo run, and 1-2 speed sessions a week.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Thanks. I'll do some steady cardio on lifting days then.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

i think most people do the short 20 minute HIIT sessions on lifting days, and save the LISS (low intensity steady state) work for it's own day. but i could be wrong.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Do whichever one you enjoy doing. I never liked HIIT. I don't do cardio at all now, though. When I first lost 50ish lbs 4-5 years ago, I solely did MISS. Had I lifted heavy while doing this and monitored protein intake, I probably would have gotten to my current body fat goal. Instead I got to the mid 20s. But I still lost a whole lot of weight. Although my approach was not smart: I relied on exercise to create my deficit. Stopped exercising, ate the same and hten more, gained weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The residual burn of HIIT (EPOC) is not as significant as it is cracked up to be, but there is a great benefit to HIIT that makes it well worth it. It's a great way to improve your VO2 max and does it better than steady state, which means after a while you would be able to do steady state at a higher intensity for longer times with less perceived exertion = higher calorie burn. I like to to include a couple of HIIT a week. The trick is to push yourself really hard on HIIT sessions.
  • Francl27
    Options

i think most people do the short 20 minute HIIT sessions on lifting days, and save the LISS (low intensity steady state) work for it's own day. but i could be wrong.

Yeah but I'm just too spent for the HIIT lol.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

When I was still doing cardio, I only did LISS or MISS for 15-30 minutes after weights. If I did HIIT I'd be hampering my recovery too much. but I've since stopped doing cardio altogether because it's just not fun and isn't needed for body composition.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Just do whichever exercise you enjoy the most. If you can't keep doing the exercise it's pointless to ask which one burns slightly more calories. Just do something you'll keep doing.
  • Francl27
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Just do whichever exercise you enjoy the most. If you can't keep doing the exercise it's pointless to ask which one burns slightly more calories. Just do something you'll keep doing.

I like both, that's why I asked (ok maybe 'like' is a strong term, let's say I like being able to eat more because of it).

I also lift weights, even though I hate it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The residual burn of HIIT (EPOC) is not as significant as it is cracked up to be, but there is a great benefit to HIIT that makes it well worth it. It's a great way to improve your VO2 max and does it better than steady state, which means after a while you would be able to do steady state at a higher intensity for longer times with less perceived exertion = higher calorie burn. I like to to include a couple of HIIT a week. The trick is to push yourself really hard on HIIT sessions.

Gold star.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Depending on what you goals are and time limitations, could you do some of both during the week?

I do not do HIIT, but I do different types of training runs like @Capt_Apollo mentioned to improve both speed and endurance. I'll have one long run (10-14 miles) a week, a shorter pace run, intervals, and an easy recovery run throughout the week. Along with that, I lift following a 5x5 program 2-3 times a week.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yes I push myself hard... that's why lately I haven't lasted longer than 25 minutes, and the last 5 minutes are tough.

Yes I'll do both... it's colder out now anyway so I'm less likely to go for a walk, so I'll just go to the gym every day and alternate.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

OMG NO! When I'm done lifting, I'm DONE! HIIT happens on a different day....lol.
    I also currently do my cardio sessions on non-lifting days. I lift heavy, and I rather feed, rest, and heal my muscles before doing anything else. For me, this works great, and the muscles are growing nicely... :)