8lb gain overnight :(

Options
Davali
Davali Posts: 225 Member
Bought a new set of scales yesterday that are a lot more accurate than the ones we've been using - measures all kinds of other things too! The downside is that I am now a full 8 pounds heavier on the new ones. How disappointing..... :grumble:

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Blehhh I hate that!
  • terina1181
    terina1181 Posts: 9
    Options
    Go back to the old one! I've heard that it's best to weigh yourself on the same scale every time. Maybe it needs to be re-calibrated?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    But you didn't really gain 8 lbs over night. Just moved to a different scale. It's obvious from your pictures you're doing great!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It doesn't mean you have any less progress. Your weight is just a number. What's important is how much progress you've been making. If your old scale was the one you used for your weigh in, that means you would've been 8 pounds heavier back then on the new scale too, which means that you've still lost the same amount of weight, and made the same amount of progress.
  • misschocolate82
    Options
    don't be too disheartened hun...firstly...have you been using your old scales since start? if so, means you were 8lb heavier to start with so you have still had the same loss.....plus think of how you LOOK different....you haven't gained 8 inches overnight (which would be a hell of a lot more upsetting). So chin up and smile and keep on with the great work x
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Different scales will always give different weights. The same as 2 identical cars will always have slight differences in the way they drive.......

Try and stick to one scale. Even if it is slightly out you'll still see your progress as the numbers drop.

I must admit though I do like the look of those fancy scales that give you every detail possible. :ohwell:
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    don't be too disheartened hun...firstly...have you been using your old scales since start? if so, means you were 8lb heavier to start with so you have still had the same loss.....

Exactly! I had the same when I bought new scales, about 4 lbs in the difference. So I just changed my starting weight on MFP, added the 4 pounds and took it from there.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Go back to the old one! I've heard that it's best to weigh yourself on the same scale every time. Maybe it needs to be re-calibrated?
    How do you re-calibrate scales? i gained 2 kilos from mine when i switched
  • Davali
    Options
    I couldn't work out how to reset the starting weight - off to have a look now.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I couldn't work out how to reset the starting weight - off to have a look now.

Where you weigh in there is a button at the bottom to change previous settings...
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    it happened to me with my scales too but only 4lb someone told me to change my starting weight to 4lb heavier and then check in your "New" weight on the new scales so you can still see the great achievement you have accomplished so far x
  • Davali
    Options
    Done it - thanks everyone!
  • marrtini
    marrtini Posts: 75
    Options
    Dont' give up, obviously what you are doing is working! Don't let it get you down. I use one particular scale each month. Between the one I have at home and the one I use to weigh in there is a 5 lb difference. Weight is just a number, if you are seeing results(which clearly from your pics you are) and you are happier and healthier than dont' worry about the # it will stress you out.
    Do whatever makes you feel happiest.

You are doing a great job.
    Keep up the good work.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Glad you found a way to re-set your starting weight. If the new one is more accurate, then that is what you need to go by. You are doing INCREDIBLY well!!! Congratulations on your achievements so far, and best of luck as you continue your journey!:smile:
    Kaye
  • ldon37
    ldon37 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ooow! Take it back immediately! haha Seriously tho! I am still using my old analog scale and am afraid to buy a new digital scale for this very reason. As others have said, just keep in mind that your weight loss is still the same and you are doing great!!!!
  • fmd123
    fmd123 Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, I agree with everyone else that you should look at your pictures to remind yourself of your progress. And, if you prefer the new scale, just mentally add 8 pounds to your starting weight. Also, is there anything to prevent you from adding 8 pounds to every past record of weight? It's a bit of work but if it puts in a better spot psychologically then I say do it!

I'm not sure how accurate my scale is either so I will probably have the same psychological issue soon! :-)