calorie isn't a calorie ?

Options

Replies

• muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    ~For weight loss: calories in < calories out.
    ~For body composition: get enough protein and lift heavy.
    ~For overall health: get enough fat, micronutrients, water, rest, maybe some cardio.
    ~For your sanity: don't eliminate a whole group of foods for no medical reason.

useful info :D
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Eat what you want. Eat at a deficit. Enjoy food and enjoy life.

Honestly. I eat healthy most meals, but sometimes I want a snack or treat and I eat it without guilt. It fits into my daily calorie goal and that's that.

If you want cake, eat cake. If you want a carrot, eat a carrot. End of story. You will see results if you eat at a deficit.

thanks

muffinsandcakes this site raised the same questions in my mind. After reading The Calorie Myth by JB this week I got a better understanding. Not sure I agree with him on all points but I do appreciate his 12 years of researching scientific studies on dieting. I did not know about the role of hormones to lose weight and keep it off for the next forty years. There are enough reviews to get peoples pros and cons and some info.

barnesandnoble.com/w/the-calorie-myth-jonathan-bailor/1116537829?ean=9780062267337
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Honestly. I eat healthy most meals, but sometimes I want a snack or treat and I eat it without guilt. It fits into my daily calorie goal and that's that.

If you want cake, eat cake. If you want a carrot, eat a carrot. End of story. You will see results if you eat at a deficit.

thanks

muffinsandcakes this site raised the same questions in my mind. After reading The Calorie Myth by JB this week I got a better understanding. Not sure I agree with him on all points but I do appreciate his 12 years of researching scientific studies on dieting. I did not know about the role of hormones to lose weight and keep it off for the next forty years. There are enough reviews to get peoples pros and cons and some info.

barnesandnoble.com/w/the-calorie-myth-jonathan-bailor/1116537829?ean=9780062267337

Jonathan Bailor is a joke in the fitness community, he got destroyed by Alan Aragon and Layne Norton among a few others
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=FviIXAvUj_U
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-problem-with-calorie-myth-smarter.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Helloo beautiful pals is calorie isn't a calorie ?
    I've read a lot of articles concerning this:
    http://fourhourworkweek.com/2008/02/25/the-science-of-fat-loss-why-a-calorie-isnt-always-a-calorie/
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2014/07/why-counting-calories-for-weight-loss-isnt-the-answer-what-im-doing-instead/
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/calories-are-out/372690/

so what MFP is doing? could we really lose? :open_mouth:
    some people say just eat whatever the heck you want "cakes, kitkat, at restaurants" and just ander your calorie deficit goal.
    and then her we hear that "No , it matters what enters to your mouth"
    oh am confused and need the truth and only the truth.

A calorie is a unit of energy...nothing more, nothing less...TRUTH...and the TRUTH shall set you free.

Do not confuse calories (energy) with nutrition...nutrition is an entirely different matter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    oh am confused i can't eat all the time veggies and fruits -_-

Eat SOME veggies and fruits. Eat SOME meat. Eat SOME cake. Balance.....

Basicallly eat a little bit of everything you want to eat, and keep the total in a calorie deficit. You will lose weight, and you will enjoy what you are eating at the same time. After all, isn't that the point?

Yes, this.

How I think of it is that I focus on getting my nutritional needs met first (pre logging helps with this until it becomes a habit). I try to get protein at every meal (at least 100 grams total, usually more) and lots of vegetables at every meal possible, plus usually some fruit and some healthy starches for extra energy (I like potatoes and sweet potatoes, but sometimes have oatmeal or whole grain bread or pasta or whatever). On top of all that (and it's going to vary based on your personal goals and preferences), use the rest of your calories for what seems tasty so long as it won't cause you to lose it and go over.

I usually have ice cream at the end of the day, but sometimes I have dark chocolate or we have pizza at lunch or I go out for dinner.

I've lost just fine without having to give up anything, although I eat a lot less of some things than I used to. (I probably eat ice cream more than when I was gaining, however.)
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It turns out, some calories count more than others. Sure, there are 100 calories in two tablespoons of chocolate chips, and the very same 100 calories in broccoli. But there’s a huge difference in the way that they affect your appetite, your energy level, and your long-term health.

Again, it’s not just how much you eat, but WHAT you eat
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I think people like to stir the pot, if know what I mean. :\
  • Taajsgpm
    Options
    You got it right lemurcat thanks
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    essentially it boils down to this..

calorie deficit for weight loss..

macro nutrient adherence for body recomposition and over all health...

This. End thread.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It turns out, some calories count more than others. Sure, there are 100 calories in two tablespoons of chocolate chips, and the very same 100 calories in broccoli. But there’s a huge difference in the way that they affect your appetite, your energy level, and your long-term health.

Well of course they do. But if you balance it out, you can eat the chocolate chips and the broccoli in the same day, along with several other things, and you'll be just fine, as will your appetite, your energy, and your long-term health.

You only get this one life. Don't boggle yourself all up and make yourself miserable with deprivation and stress worrying about something that should be so simple.

Be happy while making these changes. Stress just makes it that much harder to lose weight, so why stress yourself out over 100 calories worth of chocolate chips?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

Well of course they do. But if you balance it out, you can eat the chocolate chips and the broccoli in the same day, along with several other things, and you'll be just fine, as will your appetite, your energy, and your long-term health.

You only get this one life. Don't boggle yourself all up and make yourself miserable with deprivation and stress worrying about something that should be so simple.

Be happy while making these changes. Stress just makes it that much harder to lose weight, so why stress yourself out over 100 calories worth of chocolate chips?

This. This. Very much this.
    da5c738bf110e2f238ac437e9aaf0eca.jpg
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Love this!!! :wink:

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

thanks

Jonathan Bailor is a joke in the fitness community, he got destroyed by Alan Aragon and Layne Norton among a few others
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-problem-with-calorie-myth-smarter.html

Clearly you have not read The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor and watched the Youtube you posted. Man you need to get serious if you are going to slam science with a youtube video of that quality.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

thanks

there you go again …posting pseudo science….
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    LOL @ calling that nonsense "science"
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    oh am confused i can't eat all the time veggies and fruits -_-

Muffinsandcakes you don't have to stick to just veggies and fruits. You can eat a variety of foods. I still have some calorie dense foods just not as much as I used to. If you choose too strict a diet you may have trouble adhering to it.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

thanks

Clearly you have not read The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor and watched the Youtube you posted. Man you need to get serious if you are going to slam science with a youtube video of that quality.
    Looking at your post history you are clearly confused. You need to get your money back from that book and buy a Biochemistry or Medical Physiology textbook you might actually learn something
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

thanks

Looking at your post history you are clearly confused. You need to get your money back from that book and buy a Biochemistry or Medical Physiology textbook you might actually learn something

Off topic, but how do you see post history on this new format?
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    A calorie is definitely a calorie. As someone who suffers from SED (selective eating disorder), I can only eat a few foods and I'd have never lost the 60lbs I have so far if I had to eat things like fruits and vegetables and fish and whatever else is considered "healthy".
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

thanks

Off topic, but how do you see post history on this new format?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile/comments/user#/username