Calories for a breastfeeding mother

Options
So I am a nursing mommy, and I know that nursing mothers need to consume more than average calories a day..and I figured out how to log the feedings, and it adds calories(300) to what my goal isper feeding...I am wondering if I should be logging this every time that my daughter nurses or if I should just be logging it once a day!!! Yesterday I logged that I nursed her 3 times which added 900 calories to my 1280-that is my goal. Just seems like a lot! I did some research and found that lactating mothers should consume 1500-2200 calories per day...and that it's recomended that you stay at the higher end for healthy milk production...just don't feel like I will meet my goal if I am taking in that many calories! Anyone have any imput?

Replies

• Baker0821
    Baker0821 Posts: 40
    Options
    YES!!! Log it and eat it!!! You don't want to compromise your supply! When I started MFP, over a year ago, I was a nursing mommy and I successfully lost weight while nursing and my supply never dropped. Just don't make those calories "junk calories" and you'll be fine! Yay for nursing mommies!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Melmehay
    Melmehay Posts: 1
    Options
    Weight watchers adds about 500-700 calories per day (they gave me 10 extra points a day, based on their old points system), depending on whether your baby is nursing exclusively or if you are supplementing with formula or foods. I would adjust the estimate based on your rate of weight loss--try not to lose to rapidly, but if you are not dropping weight you may be over-estimating how much your baby is consuming. Based on my experience with losing weight while nursing, 2000 calories per day seems appropriate.
  • ohdear1986
    ohdear1986 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i didn't know they allowed for breast feeding, i breast feed my 17 month old 5-6 times a day! so how do i add these calories? i don't get how you found the option
    help
    thanks

laura
  • Baker0821
    Baker0821 Posts: 40
    Options
    If you go to where you log food (not exercise) put in like breastfeeding mother or something like that and it will add calories for you.
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you go to your food diary, you can "track" your breastfeeding calories. Instead of typing a food, type "breastfeeding" and it will give you different options (newborn, olderbaby, etc) Instead of debiting those calories, it adds them, similar to adding exercise calories!

I am nursing my 16 month old still. She nurses 4x a day on average, but I wasn't sure if I needed to add that in since her main nutrition source isn't me. Instead, I adjusted my activity level from sedentary to the next level, and use the calories MFP figures for a lightly active person.
  • melissataylor1986
    melissataylor1986 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    On how to log it, you can add it to your FOOD diary. Just search for breastfeeding, there are different options.

I have a 10 month old son who still breastfeeds 3-4 times a day. I add an extra 300 calories PER DAY, not per feeding. I have successfully lost 31 pounds and had no issues with my supply.
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    I just looked up brestfeeding mother...diffrent options came up...I just chose the appropreate one. : )
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    Ohhhh...I logged 3 Times yeasterday. Makes sense to just log once, but I wasn't sure! Thank you!