I don't know what Im doing wrong!

Options

Replies

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    roz112 wrote: »
    Breakfast: Protein shake (greek yogurt, promasil protein powder, banana)
    Lunch: quinoa, red kidney beans, sweet potato, lentils, and raw cauliflower salad (homemade)
    and then a few hours later had a pure protein bar with an espresso
    Dinner: egg whites, toast with dill cream cheese
    Snack: few spoonfuls of chapmans chocolate froyo, piece of chocolate
    My calories for today were about 950.

I stopped reading your post at this point above. I don't think that's accurate for the calories. I'm also vegetarian and I've logged most of the above, something about that just doesn't seem right to me.

I'd try to look more closely at my logging to make sure there aren't any errors.

Good luck!

Yea I'd have to agree. Maybe get a digital food scale, it changed my life lol! I had a standstill for a fair while and it was quite clear once I got a scale I was totally underestimating. So in the couple of weeks I have had the scale I've lost weight! :-)
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I do have a food scale and weigh my foods quite often although not with everything! That's probably my mistake, i guess when wanting to lose just a few pounds every last calorie counts.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! i guess i am not doing something right. I weigh my foods and measure with measuring cups but i guess the calories i input in are not accurate based on the weights :(

How can i ensure the calories i input are accurate?

Use a food scale.

Have you considered lifting weights?

• roz112
    Options
    When i go to the gym i primary lift weights (squat, lunges, rows, bench press etc) and do a 5 minute warm up on the treadmill and sometimes do 10 mins of elliptical at the end of my 50 minute workout.
  • Maltesers23
    Maltesers23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey I was going through the exact same thing no matter how strictly I diet and exercise, the weight didn't go off.
    Then I observed this non-linear pattern of my weight loss that in every 4-5 weeks I used to lose a 1-1.5 kg (which was damn annoying) then some of the MFP members told me about the 'Whoosh Effect' wherein people did not lose weight for 3-4 weeks then all of a sudden within a week they lost 1.5-2 kg.
    So Google that...it's so funny how our body works and don't lose your patience :)
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're logging everything you drink other than water also. People tend to miss that.

Thank you for your help. I only drink water, and sparkling water occasionally. I hate juice and soda (shocking i know lol)

But, you said you had an espresso? Shouldn't have any calories of course but to say you drink coffee then say you only drink water suggests there may be other things sneaking in that you are missing?

For your original posts without the quantity of each of those things the information doesn't tell us how much you are eating.

Also be careful of what entries you use, a lot of stuff in the database is inaccurate. Check them against labels and/or other sites and if you are eating something like say a banana don't use the entries for things like "large" weigh it and use the grams or ounces.
  • roz112
    Options
    Make sure you're logging everything you drink other than water also. People tend to miss that.

Thank you for your help. I only drink water, and sparkling water occasionally. I hate juice and soda (shocking i know lol)

But, you said you had an espresso? Shouldn't have any calories of course but to say you drink coffee then say you only drink water suggests there may be other things sneaking in that you are missing?

For your original posts without the quantity of each of those things the information doesn't tell us how much you are eating.

Also be careful of what entries you use, a lot of stuff in the database is inaccurate. Check them against labels and/or other sites and if you are eating something like say a banana don't use the entries for things like "large" weigh it and use the grams or ounces.

Okay ill try to be a bit more specific with exactly everything i inputed so hopefully you guys can spot my mistakes!

Breakfast *measured everything*: 0% plain liberte greek yogurt (116 grams) (67 cals)
    Banana (30 grams) (27 cals)
    protein powder (28.9 grams) (110 cals)
    Total: 212

Lunch
    Espresso black: 5 cals
    Lentils (1/4 cup) (57 cals) *measure with a measuring cup
    Half baked sweet potato with olive oil (81 cals)
    Red kidney bean quinoa salad (1/2 cup) (115 cals)
    Chocolate pure protein (180 cals)
    Cauliflower (100grams) (25 cals)
    Total: 463

Dinner: 2 egg whites (hardboiled) (cals 34)
    Whole wheat toast (1oz) (78 cals)
    Light dill cream cheese (1TB) (40 cals)
    Total: 152

Snack: Chapmans froyo (90 cals for 1/2cup) i wouldnt say i had more than 3 tablespoons
    (lets say 45 cals)
    Merci chocolate (the small little bar ones are 70 cals for the whole thing) i only had half so
    35 cals
    Total: 80

TOTAL: 907 calories
    I literally put nothing else into my mouth that day lol so what am i doing wrong????

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Okay ill try to be a bit more specific with exactly everything i inputed so hopefully you guys can spot my mistakes!

Breakfast *measured everything*: 0% plain liberte greek yogurt (116 grams) (67 cals)

Lunch

Snack: Chapmans froyo (90 cals for 1/2cup) i wouldnt say i had more than 3 tablespoons
    (lets say 45 cals)
    Merci chocolate (the small little bar ones are 70 cals for the whole thing) i only had half so
    35 cals

I literally put nothing else into my mouth that day lol so what am i doing wrong????

Lentils - weigh them - dont use cups.
    sweet potato - weigh it. they arent all the same size.
    kidney beans and quinoa - weigh them!
    pure protein bar - weigh it -dont ever rely on serving info on back.

egg whites - weigh it,
    Whole wheat toast - weigh them..

You can see where I am going here... Even your ice cream can be weighed. Put bowl on scale, turn on add ice cream take weight boom!!

I think you rely too much on the serving size info printed on the items. I guarantee you they arent accurate. My bread I eat says 2 slices = 1 serving 53grams - but RARELY are the 2 slices actually 53 grams.. I mean the ends of the loaf are smaller, the middle are bigger - it may average to 53 - but it isn't exact.

Weigh EVERYTHING for a week and compare your results (especially if you say you normally eat the same things) I bet you notice a big difference....

• roz112
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »

Lunch

(lets say 45 cals)
    35 cals

egg whites - weigh it,

You can see where I am going here... Even your ice cream can be weighed. Put bowl on scale, turn on add ice cream take weight boom!!

I think you rely too much on the serving size info printed on the items. I guarantee you they arent accurate. My bread I eat says 2 slices = 1 serving 53grams - but RARELY are the 2 slices actually 53 grams.. I mean the ends of the loaf are smaller, the middle are bigger - it may average to 53 - but it isn't exact.

Weigh EVERYTHING for a week and compare your results (especially if you say you normally eat the same things) I bet you notice a big difference....

Thank you!
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Lunch

(lets say 45 cals)
    35 cals

egg whites - weigh it,

Thank you!

ummm, you're welcome lol, but I havent done anything! Do come back and let us know the prognosis please, I am curious!!
  • roz112
    Options

Lunch

(lets say 45 cals)
    35 cals

egg whites - weigh it,

Thank you!

ummm, you're welcome lol, but I havent done anything! Do come back and let us know the prognosis please, I am curious!!

I wasn't aware of how seriously i had to take my weighing, i thought measuring would be accurate enough but i guess i was wrong. And will do. Today i literally weighed everything. :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You are currently at the very bottom of the healthy weight range for most people. You may want to try upping your calories and work on body composition vs. losing weight.

20757594.png
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what you're doing wrong is asking your body to become underweight. It's going to fight you all the way. You're 2 lbs. from underweight. Adjust your self-perception, not your weight.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is currently 19.3. I see from your profile you want to lose 13 pounds? That would put you seriously under weight. You are in the low end of healthy now. I would stick with workouts and if how you are eating keeps you where you are, keep eating that way!
  • roz112
    Options
    My goal weight was from a while back that i never got around to changing, i was just playing out with the numbers to see how it would effect my overall calories. Im pretty happy with my weight but im a little disproportionate lol I have a really skinny upper body but wide hips.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    At your weight, your hips are probably wide because your hip bones are wide. Your diet isn't going to change that. :)
  • roz112
    Options
    At your weight, your hips are probably wide because your hip bones are wide. Your diet isn't going to change that. :)

Go figures, genetically my moms side of the family is all like that :(
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Don't think of yourself as "bottom heavy" or "wide." Think of yourself as having sexy curves. We get to a point where we just have to make the most of what we have! B)
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Right. Get yourself a good pushup bra and be a little curvy. :)

And if you miss eating meat, eat meat. Plants are great but if it's general health or environmental concerns you're going meatless for, just cutting down your red meat intake is just as good for you and the planet. If it's for weight loss, you don't need weight loss and meat can be fine in a reducing situation, too.

Good luck!
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that you should be weighing everything, you only show one day of food. Weight loss is a process. Use the app, consistently and accurately for a week, and see what your TOTAL calories are for the week. Also average your weights throughout the week. Don't just rely on a snapshot for results.