Question about running on a treadmill

Options
So I started running about 6 months ago, though I recently took a break for about a month. I prefer to run indoors because outdoor allergies set off my asthma. I run about 5.7 mph on average on the treadmill. I was doing this for 3-4 miles without stopping but since I took a break I can do about 1.5 at a time with lighter intervals between, but still the same total running distance. My question pertains to how fast I should be running. I like to run for distance more than speed, but sometimes I see a person much shorter than me at the gym running like 7mph! Want to make sure I'm exercising in the most efficient and appropriate manner possible. I am 5'7" and thin at 130, but would like to drop to 125lb. Thanks!

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You should be going however fast you feel you should be going. Don't rely on how fast others go, for all you know they could have been running for YEARS and are doing a much different program than you are which makes them a faster runner in the long run. If you feel you could go faster then start challenging yourself once you're back up to where you were and run a little faster than you have been, if you're happy with your current pace then stay with that!
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Are you setting your treadmill to an incline at all? If 5.7 mph is a comfortable speed for you, I'd suggest adding incline (at least 1-2%) to your running workouts. If weight loss and calorie burn are your goal, you'll have to increase the intensity of your runs by running longer distances, increasing incline, and/or increasing your speed. I greatly prefer running outdoors, but when I do use a treadmill, I generally run for 3-4 miles and vary my speed between 6-9.5 throughout my run. I'll do 0.5 miles at a slower pace and a higher incline, and then I'll lower the incline and sprint for 0.25 miles. I wear a heart rate monitor, and I burn far more calories when I do intervals than just running at a steady pace. Not that it matters, but I'm 5' 4" and weigh the same as you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Mcblack2 wrote: »
    Want to make sure I'm exercising in the most efficient and appropriate manner possible.

Well, the most appropriate plan when someone is already thin is to prioritize full-body strength training using heavy weight.. that way you don't end up burning muscle and looking skinny fat. Good lifting programs include NROL and Stronglifts.

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Good lifting programs include NROL and Stronglifts.

Yes, absolutely this as well.

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    I run at 8 generally sometimes up to 9.6. I think when I first started I was about 6. I think it's good advice to only go at the speed your comfortable with at first to avoid injuries. It seems going to fast too soon can cause that so I'm keen to avoid. I did speed up a bit a couple of weeks ago then backed off. Speed comes with time I'm told. I'm just pleased I can run :-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Mcblack2 wrote: »
    Want to make sure I'm exercising in the most efficient and appropriate manner possible.

I'm not entirely sure what outcomes you're after here. If you want to improve your running performance then you'd need to focus on improving your running duration, speed will come with distance. Once you can run for 60 minutes then you'll start to benefit from speedowork.

Notwithstanding that there is some value in complementing the running with resistance training of some kind. As highlighted above that'll help the body composition side of things as well as improve your injury mitigation.
  • Mcblack2
    Mcblack2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Interesting point about the incline, I think I will start adding a little bit. I'm hoping to slowly build my pace back up since I just came off a break, but you all have given me some great benchmarks for where I should hope to be speed wise. I do some resistance training, mostly with weight machines at the gym, but I'd like to know how to begin the program's mentioned above. It is slightly intimidating to start alone!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Incline helps on Achilles tendon as well as hamstring. I also find that running backwards which is safest on treadmill helps on joints. This was something started for me in physical therapy and I have kept it and use it at different times.
    Speed should be what you are comfortable with there are no standards.
    Changing it up with programs that add incline like hills programs on treadmill doing straight intervals you regulate on speed or incline are also good.